Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

WSL may need a development corner...

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

WSL may need a development corner...

Post by SecondMan »

Now that we have an ideas section, should we also have a dev corner?

Right now development of tools is scattered between the Fuse Box, the Scripting, Fuses and Macros, arguably somewhat in Reactor now, too...

Instead, I could start a new forum, completely dedicated to the development of new scripts and tools. We could have topic prefixes like

• [DEV]
  • [ALPHA]
  • [BETA]
  • [RC]
to indicate progress, a couple of best - or at the least common - practices, consolidating everything into one area, while keeping the other forums open for the more day-to-day tips, tricks and support.

What say you, fellow fusioneers?

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Re: WSL may need a development corner...

Post by SirEdric »

Intriguing, mate. Very intriguing indeed!

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl »

i like this :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

If you like an idea, don't forget to cast your vote :)

TerryPXM
Fusioneer

Post by TerryPXM »

When I first got here I found the current organization a bit confusing what you are proposing sounds well though out. I like it.

JPDoc
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by JPDoc »

I think this makes a lot of sense. And maybe a detailed sticky or two at the head of it all attempting to explain the general structure of fusion custom tools and where they go - I've been using them for years and I still get very confused. Fuses v Macros v Python Scripts v Lua scripts etc etc. And definitely some guidelines as to where you need to put them to get them picked up by fusion, path map wise. It's great to have so many options but the organisation and deciphering of said options can be . . . challenging, to say the least.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

Good points...

I'm also wondering in this context about what to do with the Fuse Box subforum. I like the idea of it, but things get a little scattered and atomic at a certain point. I'd probably move that content to the scripting forum and let the DEV corner take over...

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

Marking as In Progress...

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 8

Post by intelligent machine »

It would be really nice if every new topic/project under beta included a pre-populated per-user template or side widgets of some sort.
Answer common questions like:
What version of the tool are you testing?
What Fusion version?
What OS?

Does the tool work as expected according to the description?
Is the interface intuitive or confusing?
If documentation for the WIP tool exists, is it easy to follow along?

This would also be a great forum for:
A suggestions box.
And of course crash/bug reports not related to Fusion proper.

May also want to consider including an option for invite-only topics that only appear in the topic list for those invited in.
This would be useful for closed collaborations and a kind of direct one-on-one or small group Q&A.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

intelligent machine wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:10 amIt would be really nice if every new topic/project under beta included a pre-populated per-user template or side widgets of some sort.
I may consider this. But not every question is always relevant or even useful (i.e. since it's a dev topic, the development itself drives the current version of the tool), and it would also be a shame if every reply is polluted with the same questions over and over.

I also don't want to micromanage too much what a dev topic should look like, I feel that should be up to the developer and the users. Personally when I'm developing things I like to keep it simple, and the interaction to be fairly loose and informal. If I want forms and regulations, I might as well be at work :)
intelligent machine wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:10 amA suggestions box.
Not sure I understand. Would you expand a bit on this please?
intelligent machine wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:10 amAnd of course crash/bug reports not related to Fusion proper.
Well, yes, that would be what dev topics are for in the first place, no?
intelligent machine wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:10 amMay also want to consider including an option for invite-only topics that only appear in the topic list for those invited in.
No, this one won't happen. That's not what WSL is for - openness and sharing is at the core of this place. It also would be a crazy amount of work for me to manage and support. If people want to develop in private with a small group, they are free to do that at something like GitHub.

Though I see what you mean, and there may be situations where you would like to gather feedback in a somewhat more private environment, perhaps a sub-section of less casual users. If that is the case I would suggest using the Patrons area for it.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

JPDoc wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 ammaybe a detailed sticky or two at the head of it all attempting to explain the general structure of fusion custom tools and where they go - I've been using them for years and I still get very confused.
@Midgardsormr - I may be conflating memories but didn't you write a post about this on your blog one day?

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

I'm naming the forum "Development Corner" for now - not feeling particularly inspired tonight. But if anyone has a great name in mind, by all means shoot.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 24

Post by Midgardsormr »

SecondMan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 pm
JPDoc wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 ammaybe a detailed sticky or two at the head of it all attempting to explain the general structure of fusion custom tools and where they go - I've been using them for years and I still get very confused.
@Midgardsormr - I may be conflating memories but didn't you write a post about this on your blog one day?
I may have? I'd have to go back and read it, but that may have been part of the Macros chapter of the abortive book. I definitely recall making a diagram about how to untangle path maps.

btw, the quickest way to figure out where a tool should go is actually to just have Fusion map the path for you. In the Console, ==comp:MapPath("Macros:") will show you the first path that it can resolve to a Macros folder. Other handy path maps are Fuses:, Scripts:, and Profile:, which is where your hotkey .fu files are stored. And Reactor:, naturally.

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 8

Post by intelligent machine »

SecondMan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:53 pmI'm naming the forum "Development Corner" for now - not feeling particularly inspired tonight. But if anyone has a great name in mind, by all means shoot.
  • Quantum Realm
  • Mad Science
  • Manhattan Project
  • The Laboratory
  • The Workshop
Added in 12 minutes 22 seconds:
SecondMan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:19 pm
intelligent wrote:A suggestions box.
Not sure I understand. Would you expand a bit on this please?
A category for non-coders to make suggestions/requests.

Then if any coders out there are up to the challenge on a particular request, they can initiate the project in the appropriate category either by moving the topic or cross-linking.

Unanswered suggestions could be periodically rounded up and presented in a poll if people want to collaborate on something (function, gui design, logic).

...just a thought.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

intelligent machine wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:54 amA category for non-coders to make suggestions/requests.
Err... https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... php?t=3731

:)