Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Tutorials page?

Idea ID:
Author:
Shem Namo
Posted:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:32 am
Rating:
New
Shem Namo
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Tutorials page?

Post by Shem Namo »

Hello Everyone, How are you?
After reading the ideas guide carefully,
I think this qualifies as a topic that can be posted here.

How about a page here on the forum to post YouTube(or Vimeo, DailyMotion, Whatever) tutorials, in a way so that they don't clutter the main forum?
What do you say @SecondMan?

Thank you,
David Kohen.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Re: Tutorials page?

Post by SecondMan »

Just start a topic for it, like the one over on the BMD forum.

With one big difference - as the topic grows, create meaningful links in the opening post to all the different videos, or you will equally end up with this huge long topic where you can't find anything, and in that case you may just as well go do a search on YouTube.

I'm happy to make it a Sticky if you will maintain it :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

A couple of things...

It sounded like you wanted a place where people could post various useful tutorials they find online. For users who wish to post their own tutorials (yourself included), there is already the Theatre.

Now, one does not exclude the other. Feel free to cross-link from a separate topic and consolidate it all the way you like it. But when I said:
SecondMan wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:21 amif you will maintain it
... I meant if you will maintain it.

Here is what I mean by that - take this topic as an example: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... =16&t=3444

The opening post is a collection of links to the actual content. No matter how many versions of Fusion will be released in the future, no one will have to look further than that first post to find them.

So imagine you have a long topic with 300 posts, 50 of which actually contain tutorials of one form or other. In the first (opening) post, simply put links to the 50 posts that contain the tutorials, with a descriptive title, so people can find them without having to wade through 300 posts one after the other.

Like this:

Code: Select all

[url=https://full_web_link_to_the_post_containing_useful_information]My lovely descriptive title[/url]

Please don't ask others to start tagging posts with specific keywords and titles for organising things. The forum doesn't support hashtags in that way anyway, so unless you're going to require everyone to post them like #hashtag and use keywords that don't appear elsewhere in great numbers (unlike "3D" and "simple"), it's all a bit messy and futile (plus I don't expect many will do it in the first place).

Shem Namo
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by Shem Namo »

Wow, you're absolutely right!
For some reason I thought that we were talking about something completely different,
I thought the theatre for something different, but apparently it's exactly what I was thinking of originally.
So what should I do now? Should I delete the topic before anyone else sees it?
I don't think people are going to like a page full of tutorial links without at least seeing tiles or something.

Sorry for the trouble,
Thanks,
David,

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

Shem Namo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:48 amI thought the theatre for something different
What did you think it was for? Open it up and you see mostly tutorials in the top topics...
Shem Namo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:48 amSo what should I do now?
That's entirely up to you at this point. But if you don't want to put the work into something, don't start it :)