Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

[DEV] DCTL_PlasmaVolume Fuse

Where the future is being made, today.

Welcome to the WSL development corner!

In this forum, please post your development projects. You get kudos and feedback here.
Topics ideally have preset prefixes, and this is what they (might) mean:

• [DEV] - very much work in progress, don't build a business on this, could go anywhere
  • [BETA] - should kinda do what it's supposed to do, please test, give feedback
  • [RC] - this may end up in Reactor soon, polishing up, now's the time for last minute thoughts
  • [ABD] - died a premature death, sadness, will not see the light of day ever (unless someone picks up the scraps)

Once a development project has been released (hurray), topics can be marked as - you guessed it - [RELEASED] :cheer:

Development topics only, please. For generic questions, how-to's, questions and inquiries about existing tools etc, please go to the appropriate other forums.
tida
Fusioneer
Answers: 1

[DEV] DCTL_PlasmaVolume Fuse

Post by tida »

So, my second DCTL Fuse. The Code is very simple, but I think the effect is great.
Would be good, if you could report in case of some graphic drivers issues.
DCTL_PlasmaVolume.fuse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 7

Re: [DEV] DCTL_PlasmaVolume Fuse

Post by intelligent machine »

works on macOS.

I'd prefer that the Width and Height controls remain on the Image tab as they are with every other generator.

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

Very good choice (also had a bookmark on this shadertoy) and nice work.
Just like intelligent machine I do not understand the reason for the shifting of the width / height parameters, especially since what is the reason for the narrowing to 3840/2160 and the default values for HD that are set independently of the current resolution.
I still struggle with the Time philosophy. I just find it relatively awkward to build the "correct" animation time first. Shadertoy specifies seconds as the animation time. This can then be automatically generated in the fuse independently. I also didn't understand the reason for the multiplier 100, is there a simple time control in addition to Modify / Expression / Connect to? In any case, I think it's nice when the Shadertoyfuse shows a result immediately after inserting and playing.

tida
Fusioneer

Post by tida »

I see that width/height should be used the same way as one would expect.

JiiPii wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:45 amI still struggle with the Time philosophy.
This is a nice point to discuss as we need to consider perception. A good point is to add something to control the starting or the end point. That means I need to add/substract time. Viscosity is a little bit misleading as I already transformed that in logarithmic scale - like db (decibel). And I multiply that with time.
Due to this, I do express low/medium/high or super slomo/slomo/normal/hyper lapse/time lapse or still/windy/storm etc.

I see that Viscosity is a little bit misleading as it’s the inverse equal to high/medium/low.
I’m not good at naming - maybe it should be something like motion perception for low/medium/high or just frequency. (Decibel db would be something like noise perception)

What I avoid with the logarithmic scale is, to extend the slider by typing larger numbers; or pressing the ctrl button to shrink it.

It’s all about the numbers 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 etc... (which everybody knows from money or ordering a drink)

tida
Fusioneer

Post by tida »

JiiPii wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:45 amalso had a bookmark on this shadertoy
I think we need to get organized, the more people getting into DCTL’s the higher the possibility of overlapping at same time.
Would it be good, to register as new user and share the access by certain people. In this case topics could be administered in a group...

One could create a list of interesting shaders and indicate the status of developement.

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

So far I have implemented the original shader as default and then expanded it with additional switches or textures.
The possibility of animation using a logarithmic division is definitely a good idea. However, this is also possible if the time standard comes from the tool itself and does not have to be added first.
It is a very good idea to discuss the implementation of shader toys. I have a two-step approach. first I convert in the fragment shader. Then I build the DCTL fuse. Both workloads are about the same.
I'm currently building this toy: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XdcGzj

There was this synchronization problem again, which I have already observed several times, but have not yet found the cause. So far, I've only had it in the fragment shader and it is teeming with global variables (that is, it can only run under Cuda). This toy appealed to me with its tricky punching, lighting and reflection. The toy works completely without matrices.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 30

Post by SecondMan »

Another nice one! Great :)
tida wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 amI think we need to get organized, the more people getting into DCTL’s the higher the possibility of overlapping at same time.
I think so too. Can I suggest making a topic where you list Shadertoys that are "taken"? Someone just needs to commit to keeping the first post up to date. The topic itself can then also be used to discuss generic coding techniques and gotchas. You can also make an index in the first post (or reserve a second post) to put links to specific topics down the line that are worth bookmarking.

I'll make the topic sticky so it stays at the top of the forum.

phoenixart

Post by phoenixart »

@tida Just wanted to say that this is beautiful. I was missing Sapphire Neurons on Fusion but this looks even better!

tida
Fusioneer

Post by tida »

A new update: I just changed the constellation of the sliders and added the auto run control.
DCTL_PlasmaVolume.fuse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 7

Post by intelligent machine »

Which galaxy does this work in?

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Post by SirEdric »

This is soooo cool!
Now if there was an option to make the Plasma seamless, so one could wrap it around a Sphere or any other 3D object as a texture.....:-)

tida
Fusioneer

Post by tida »

@SirEdric that is what I have shown with the viscosity fuse. The same is possible here:

The alpha makes it even transparent on the 3D object.

And it becomes also interesting if you have a DCTL Fuse with texture input. Then you can input it with not only an image, but you can also use this.
Last edited by tida on Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Post by SirEdric »

@tida Well, yes, it certainly can be used as a texture. But it's not seamless (unless I'm missing something there...:-))
Cheerio.

Eric.

tida
Fusioneer

Post by tida »

@SirEdric Oh yes, you are right - it's at one of the edges where you see that start and end are attached to each other. Maybe something like this https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MdyfDV would give a seamless pattern on a 3D object.

Oh I see, that something like this already exists :https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 715#p35715

tida
Fusioneer

Post by tida »

@SirEdric I think the easiest way to wrap it seamlessly onto a 3D object is just to filp a duplicate. In the case of a sphere, you need one duplicate and flip it horizontally. For a torus, you create a subsequent duplicate and flip that vertically:

Added in 19 minutes 19 seconds:
Sorry, even much easier, use a transform node between PlasmaVolume and Blinn, Size to 0.5 and Edge to Mirror...