Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

[RELEASED] [Fuse] AudioWaveform

Where the future is being made, today.

Welcome to the WSL development corner!

In this forum, please post your development projects. You get kudos and feedback here.
Topics ideally have preset prefixes, and this is what they (might) mean:

• [DEV] - very much work in progress, don't build a business on this, could go anywhere
  • [BETA] - should kinda do what it's supposed to do, please test, give feedback
  • [RC] - this may end up in Reactor soon, polishing up, now's the time for last minute thoughts
  • [ABD] - died a premature death, sadness, will not see the light of day ever (unless someone picks up the scraps)

Once a development project has been released (hurray), topics can be marked as - you guessed it - [RELEASED] :cheer:

Development topics only, please. For generic questions, how-to's, questions and inquiries about existing tools etc, please go to the appropriate other forums.
TheBloke
Fusioneer
Answers: 1

Re: [Fuse] AudioWaveform

Post by TheBloke »

MNDZ wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:20 amgo to modify by: audio/wav is not an option. I have everything else in the option to modify by, but no audio option.
I think you're confusing two different audio tools. This tool is an Audio Waveform generator. It's a Tool (meaning it goes on your flow, like a Blur or Background), which makes an image visualisation of a WAV file.

If you want to modify parameters according to an audio file, you need the Suck Less Audio File Modifier. This will provide a new Modifier option called "Audio (WAV)", with which you can modify a control, like animating a Transform's Size according to the waveform of an audio file, or whatever you want to do.

However be aware that the Suck Less Audio cannot work with 24bit WAV files, only 16bit. So you'd need to re-save/re-render your current audio file into 16bit in order to use that.

You can install both at once from Reactor, and then use AudioWaveform (this tool) to visualise your waveform as an image, and separately use Suck Less Audio as a modifier on one or more number controls.

Regarding your issue with the WAV not working: AudioWaveform does support 48khz 24bit WAV files, so not sure why that's happening. If you look at AudioWaveform in a Viewer, what does it say? JiiPii has done a great job at writing easy-to-understand error messages directly in the Viewer. If necessary, can you upload the WAV file in question so someone can take a look and see what might be wrong?
Last edited by TheBloke on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBloke
Fusioneer

Post by TheBloke »

Hey @JiiPii while I was trying out this excellent tool to try and help the previous poster, I noticed a minor issue: it doesn't support PathMaps?

Example: This doesn't work, displaying "Special Characters in Filename" in the viewer:

Where this works fine (both are the same file):

This is a minor inconvenience because by default when I use the Browse button, Fusion is converting the paths to use my PathMaps. So after using Browse I had to manually edit the above path to remove the PathMap before it would work.

Thanks for the awesome tool!

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

Hi @TheBloke

I have to admit I haven't tested 24bit wave files. But will do it now. The error message for the special characters comes back directly from the OpenFile. I will also test it. How did you get the relative paths?

thank you for the praise

TheBloke
Fusioneer

Post by TheBloke »

JiiPii wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:09 amI have to admit I haven't tested 24bit wave files. But will do it now.
It seemed to work OK with the 24bit file I tested with. At least, I got a waveform - I didn't check if it was 100% correct, but it looked fine!
JiiPii wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:09 amThe error message for the special characters comes back directly from the OpenFile. I will also test it. How did you get the relative paths?
I'm just using Fusion's standard PathMap system, as configured in Settings -> Path Map

This allows me to configure Loaders and Savers with a path like Data:/Renders/example.exr instead of /Volumes/data/Renders/..

I believe the Lua code to convert the Path Map to a real path is comp:MapPath("NameOfMap:/name/and/path/to/file.txt"). So maybe if you just pass the input path via comp:MapPath() it will work both for a normal file path and a Path Mapped one? That's what I'd try.

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

Now I can remember again. I once added a path there (ffmpeg) to load mkv files.
I'm a little surprised that you don't have any partitions. I have to specify the exact partition. But it works very well. Is built in and therefore fixed.
Many thanks

PS: The corrected Version 0.9 - here there is a "Hide Selection Tool"-Switch ( a suggestion of Johannes (MeinVideoStudio) and an additional Spectrum Appearance (Smooth filled) (because of the AE-Tool ;-)
AudioWaveform.fuse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheBloke
Fusioneer

Post by TheBloke »

JiiPii wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:45 pmNow I can remember again. I once added a path there (ffmpeg) to load mkv files.
I'm a little surprised that you don't have any partitions. I have to specify the exact partition. But it works very well. Is built in and therefore fixed.
Great! Thanks for the fix.

I'm not certain what you mean about partitions? Like, disk partitions? I'm on macOS so the pathname format is different to Windows. macOS and Linux use a format like /path/to/folder/file.txt instead of Windows' C:\path\to\folder\file.txt; is that what you were referring to?

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

Exactly - Interesting - I only know my way around the Windows world. So is there always only one virtual "hard disk" on a MAC computer and the path decides which medium is accessed?

TheBloke
Fusioneer

Post by TheBloke »

JiiPii wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:53 amExactly - Interesting - I only know my way around the Windows world. So is there always only one virtual "hard disk" on a MAC computer and the path decides which medium is accessed?
Yes. On UNIX-like systems (macOS, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, + many more throughout history) there is a single 'root path', which starts at /

Other drives and network shares can then be mounted at any arbitrary point (if the user has permission). So you could have:
/ - On Disk1
/Users - On Disk1
/Users/tomj - On Disk1
/Users/tomj/Disk2 - On Disk2
/Users/Bob - On Disk3
/Users/Janet - Network mounted from server1
/data - Network mounted from server2

In practice, there are usually conventions in place. For example, macOS, it is default for all secondary disks to be mounted under /Volumes.

On my own system, I have chosen to mount my network file server under /data, and then my secondary local drives are under /Volumes as per default.

This is a much more flexible and useful system than having arbitrary 'drive letters'. It means for example that /some/path/data could start out being on a local drive, but then later be mounted from a network share instead, and the path would never need to change, so no software would need to be updated with a new location.

Actually, Windows can also support this - just not many people know about it, or do it. On Windows you can choose to mount a disk or a network drive like a folder, so you could have:
C:\ On Disk1
C:\OtherDrive On Disk2

But as I say, not many people do this and as a result it might not be fully understood by all software (I don't know for sure as I've not really tried it myself either)

sepu66

Post by sepu66 »

Hi JiiPii first of all, awesome tool! Thanks a lot, quick question, I couldn't find an option to offset the audio on this tool? Am I missing something?

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

Hi sepu66,
i'm not sure i got it right. There is an offset for the elongation of the waveform and the spectrum. I added the latter with the new update, which I had forgotten in the first version.
If it is a question of a DC component in the audio signals, this could be remedied with a shift with a transform node.

atmosfar

Post by atmosfar »

I really like the "Special" style envelope, but I wish there was a noise floor type feature, so that it only showed samples that were spikes, but nothing for the silent parts in between. Like in the lower half of the image.

Is that possible?

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

Hello atmosfar,
yes this is possible. Here is the result:

I dont have adjusted the limit of the threshold
AudioWaveform.fuse

PS: I dont know excatly if you can overwrite this fuse with the reactor one. To be save, it is better to uninstall the reactor fuse and copy this in %PARTITION%:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Fuses\
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Post by SecondMan »

JiiPii wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 amI dont know excatly if you can overwrite this fuse with the reactor one.
Fusion will only load the Fuse with the highest REG_Version in FuRegisterClass. So if the one in Reactor is lower than 12, Fusion will load the one you posted. No need to uninstall anything.

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
PS. would you like me to move this topic to WSL Lab?

JiiPii
Fusioneer

Post by JiiPii »

PS. would you like me to move this topic to WSL Lab?
With great pleasure - it really belongs in the lab - Thank you very much

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Re: [DEV] [Fuse] AudioWaveform

Post by SecondMan »

Done! You can change the [DEV] prefix by editing the first post...