Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

[DEV] RefineEdges (GuidedFilter)

Where the future is being made, today.

Welcome to the WSL development corner!

In this forum, please post your development projects. You get kudos and feedback here.
Topics ideally have preset prefixes, and this is what they (might) mean:

• [DEV] - very much work in progress, don't build a business on this, could go anywhere
  • [BETA] - should kinda do what it's supposed to do, please test, give feedback
  • [RC] - this may end up in Reactor soon, polishing up, now's the time for last minute thoughts
  • [ABD] - died a premature death, sadness, will not see the light of day ever (unless someone picks up the scraps)

Once a development project has been released (hurray), topics can be marked as - you guessed it - [RELEASED] :cheer:

Development topics only, please. For generic questions, how-to's, questions and inquiries about existing tools etc, please go to the appropriate other forums.
Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 6

[DEV] RefineEdges (GuidedFilter)

Post by Millolab »

The other day I stumbled upon this:
http://kaiminghe.com/publications/eccv1 ... filter.pdf

and found this on Nukepedia.
http://www.nukepedia.com/gizmos/filter/ ... efine-edge

Shared the whole thing with good friend @danell and while he's investigating into making a Plugin or a Fuse out of this, I managed to make it into a macro.

ml_RefineMatte.setting
If someone wants to join in the development of this, you are more than welcome! :)

p.s. do not expect miracles. It has its own limits... :) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Millolab on Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Re: [DEV] RefineEdges (GuidedFilter)

Post by Millolab »

For who you guys downloaded the Macro previously, I just updated it with the latest version. @danell's debugging discovered a couple of issues. Now it works fully as intended.

Cheers!

tida
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Re: [DEV] RefineEdges (GuidedFilter)

Post by tida »

@Millolab thanks for this great macro. I grabbed the idea of a GuidedFilter and tried to interpret different publications into a fuse. As far as I understand, described edge detection is based on the evaluation of the Variance (sqrt(Variance)=Standard Deviation) at a given Radius of convolution. The resulting mask is used for blurring which leads to noise reduction. The fuse can be used for noise reduction directly as I integrated blurring. A support with regards to Edge Refinement should be possible due to the optional mask output.

Would be great to get some feedback...
td_GuidedFilter.fuse
Guided_Filter.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.