Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

[DEV] TextEffector

Where the future is being made, today.

Welcome to the WSL development corner!

In this forum, please post your development projects. You get kudos and feedback here.
Topics ideally have preset prefixes, and this is what they (might) mean:

• [DEV] - very much work in progress, don't build a business on this, could go anywhere
  • [BETA] - should kinda do what it's supposed to do, please test, give feedback
  • [RC] - this may end up in Reactor soon, polishing up, now's the time for last minute thoughts
  • [ABD] - died a premature death, sadness, will not see the light of day ever (unless someone picks up the scraps)

Once a development project has been released (hurray), topics can be marked as - you guessed it - [RELEASED] :cheer:

Development topics only, please. For generic questions, how-to's, questions and inquiries about existing tools etc, please go to the appropriate other forums.
SteveWatson
Fusioneer
Answers: 3

[DEV] TextEffector

Post by SteveWatson »

Hi,

here's something been working on. It's called text effector (Tef). It works in a similar way to cloner, in that it uses effector images to affect text. Different to just using a follower because you have more exact control over what and when the text is positoned, scaled and rotated.

Could not have done it without help from Dunn Lewis. For letting me use his code from TextWrapper and for his
TextEffector.Fuse
vital assistance with some of the shape code.

If you've used cloner then you'll get how to add effectors etc.

As usual thanks to everyone here for helping.

Still early stage and contains a lot of extra code just copied across from cloner.

Let me know if you spot any bugs etc.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionator
Answers: 10

Re: [DEV] TextEffector

Post by ShadowMaker SdR »

This is really cool stuff, Steve. Most impressive!

Dunn

Post by Dunn »

Oh Yeah!!! This is looking really awesome ! 8-) :cheer:

Nice one @SteveWatson !

:cheers:

SteveWatson
Fusioneer

Post by SteveWatson »

Hi,

this is an updated version, it removes a lot of the extra options from cloner that are not needed for TextEffector. It also fixes the effector axis so it works now, bear in mind that it's per character - so 1,1 is top right of character 0,0 is bottom left.

I also finally noticed that I mistyped steakunderwater in the previous video, I watched it multiple times before I noticed, shows the human mind sees only what it wants to see.
TextEffector.Fuse
EDIT: To prove my mistyping skils even more - the 2nd time it says rotation axis 0.5,1 it's actually at 0.5,0 and the second time it says rotation axis 0,0.5 it's at 0,0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SteveWatson
Fusioneer

Post by SteveWatson »

Hi,

managed to this much quicker than I expected. Added feature in the effectors tab to make the effectors work by character or by word. Actually able to do what inspired me to do this, this thread, the axis position thing works with words as well.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4742

From that thread I managed to get it to work using a stupid combination of cloners and effectors, that's what gave me the idea of trying this.

Any bugs etc let me know.
TextEffector.Fuse

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 28

Post by Midgardsormr »

Is "Streak Underwater" a synonym for skinny dipping? :D

SteveWatson
Fusioneer

Post by SteveWatson »

Hi,

another update.

This adds separate effector channels for x,y and z rotation - previously it was only z rotation. I did consider just using 1 image and using the RGB channels to control each axis. but creating a single image with required values in each channel is a bit fiddly so this method is easier.

TextEffector.Fuse

SteveWatson
Fusioneer

Post by SteveWatson »

Hi,

another update, added ability to choose a 3rd way of affecting text, by line. Also fixed the rotation midpoint options for words(and lines now) also corrected a small mistake in the maths that meant that the axis wasn't changed to the correct point(ie 0 left of the word/line; 1 right of the word/line)

As usual any bugs let me know.
TextEffector.Fuse