Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

[DEV] FireGon Fuse

Where the future is being made, today.

Welcome to the WSL development corner!

In this forum, please post your development projects. You get kudos and feedback here.
Topics ideally have preset prefixes, and this is what they (might) mean:

  • [DEV] - very much work in progress, don't build a business on this, could go anywhere
  • [BETA] - should kinda do what it's supposed to do, please test, give feedback
  • [RC] - this may end up in Reactor soon, polishing up, now's the time for last minute thoughts
  • [ABD] - died a premature death, sadness, will not see the light of day ever (unless someone picks up the scraps)

Once a development project has been released (hurray), topics can be marked as - you guessed it - [RELEASED] :cheer:

Development topics only, please. For generic questions, how-to's, questions and inquiries about existing tools etc, please go to the appropriate other forums.
User avatar
tida
Fusionista
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 am
Answers: 1
Real name: none
Been thanked: 41 times

[DEV] FireGon Fuse

#1

Post by tida »

The FireGon Fuse is a modification of the following Shadertoy
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4dSfDK

Might be interesting for some Energy Effects in combination with noise driven displacements.
td_FireGon.fuse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tida on Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:04 pm
Answers: 28
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Been thanked: 40 times
Contact:

Re: [DEV] FireGon Fuse

#2

Post by Midgardsormr »

If it's possible, it might look better if you were to change the order of operations such that the displacement effects are applied after the scaling.

Very cool-looking, though! Another step toward cloning Saber.

User avatar
tida
Fusionista
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 am
Answers: 1
Real name: none
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: [DEV] FireGon Fuse

#3

Post by tida »

@Midgardsormr however, just a clue why the noise used by Saber looks so fantastic. The shear at the interface is just one element to get a more organic feeling. Would be nice if this would work with a spline curve or with your Tapered Shapes fuse.
It's also interesting to combine it with the SpiralConvolution Fuse and use the Erode/Dilate-based masking functionality.

User avatar
tida
Fusionista
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 am
Answers: 1
Real name: none
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: [DEV] FireGon Fuse

#4

Post by tida »

Did rearrange Sliders as suggested. There is also an additional Bending Slider which enables you to transform the shapes to orbitals or stars.
td_FireGon.fuse
FireGonV02.PNG
FireGonV02_Star.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Millolab
Fusionista
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:26 am
Answers: 6
Been thanked: 29 times
Contact:

Re: [DEV] FireGon Fuse

#5

Post by Millolab »

@tida that actually looks awesome! :)
sorry if it's a dumb question: would it be possible to input custom shapes/Alphas?

User avatar
tida
Fusionista
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 am
Answers: 1
Real name: none
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: [DEV] FireGon Fuse

#6

Post by tida »

@Millolab I would love to let it drive by a custom input like text or polylines etc. The noise pattern comes from the vector math itself which creates the shape and I'm just happy that I found a way to come from a sphere to some sort of shape algorithm. The trick of displaying the original shader as a sphere is for example to convert from cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates.

The 1:1 translation from Shadertoy WebGl to DCTL just took 30 minutes; to find out how to give 80% life by sliders another 2 hours. The rest of the 20% is work of trial and error and apply math fragments developed by some very smart guys like here: