In the olden days, producers knew what visual effects were. Now they’ve gotten into this methodology where they’ll hire a middleman – a visual effects supervisor, and this person works for the producing studio.
They’re middle managers. And when you go into a review with one of them, there’s this weird sort of competition that happens.

It’s a game called ‘Find What’s Wrong With This Shot’. And there’s always going to be something wrong, because everything’s subjective. And you can micromanage it down to a pixel, and that happens all the time. We’re doing it digitally, so there’s no pressure to save on film costs or whatever, so it’s not unusual to go through 500 revisions of the same shot, moving pixels around and scrutinizing this or that.

That’s not how you manage artists. You encourage artists, and then you’ll get – you know – art.

If your idea of managing artists is just pointing out what’s wrong and making them fix it over and over again, you end up with artists who just stand around asking “OK lady, where do you want this sofa? You want it over there? No? Fine. You want it over there? I don’t give a fuck. I’ll put it wherever you want it.” It’s creative mismanagement, it’s part of the whole corporate modality. The fish stinks from the head on down. Back on Star Wars, Robocop, we never thought about what was wrong with a shot.

We just thought about how to make it better.

Phil Tippett

Psyop's Cryptomatte In Fusion

Moderator: AndrewHazelden

pingking
Fusionista

Re: Psyop's Cryptomatte In Fusion

Post #121 by pingking » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:15 pm

you can not download the files by right click -> save link as, this will download a whole github webpage

go to:
https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte
hit the "clone or download" button and download the whole zip file, extract the fuse and the lua files from there

Tags:

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #122 by Kristof » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Ah, now I see what is wrong--screencast helps :). Yeah, as pingking said. And you should delete the fuse from the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\Fuses\Blackmagic folder. Just keep one copy in the main Fuses folder.

This is another screenshot to show you how to download the ZIP file:

Clipboard01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #123 by Kristof » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm

And this a way to force the loader to full float:
Clipboard02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Cryptomatte Installation Notes

Post #124 by AndrewHazelden » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 am

This post will help you set up and install the Cryptomatte toolset so it works with your Windows/Mac/Linux based Fusion compositing system.

You need to be running the Fusion (Free)/Fusion Studio 9.0.1 (or higher) release to be able to use the current Cryptomatte 1.2.0 Beta 6 version. This requirement is due to Cryptomatte's use of a new EXR image loading library that was added in Fusion 9.0.1 that allows direct access to individual EXR channels from inside a Fuse module.

Cryptomatte for Fusion Installation

1. Download a copy of the Cryptomatte GitHub repository. You can do this by navigating to the GitHub project's releases page and then clicking the "Zip" link next to the newest version of Cryptomatte listed on page:

https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte/releases

github-releases-page-zip-download.png

2. After you unzip the latest cryptomatte release, copy the three "fusion" folder based scripts (cryptomatte_utilities.lua, lmurmurhash3.lua, and struct.lua) from the downloaded GitHub repository files into the standard Fusion Lua "package.path" location of:

Windows Lua Path

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\lua\

Linux Lua Path

/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/

You can create this Linux folder path in the Terminal using the following BASH commands:

sudo mkdir -p "/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/"
sudo chmod 755 "/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/"
sudo nautilus "/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/"

Mac Lua Path

/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/

You can create this MacOS folder path in the Terminal.app using the following BASH commands:

sudo mkdir -p "/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/"
sudo chmod 755 "/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/"
sudo open "/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/"

Note: The Cryptomatte Lua modules can also be installed manually in a folder that is listed in your "LUA_PATH" based environment variable.

3. Copy the fusion/cryptomatte.fuse file into the Fusion "Fuses" folder:

Windows Fuse Path

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\Fuses\

Linux Fuses Path

/opt/BlackmagicDesign/Fusion9/Fuses/

macOS Fuses Path

/Applications/Blackmagic Fusion 9/Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS/Fuses/

Note: If you want to install the Fuse for the current user account on your system you can copy the fusion/cryptomatte.fuse file to your the Fusion user preferences based "Fuses:/" PathMap directory.

Fusion Usage:

fusionScreenshot.png

The Cryptomatte Fuse works in Fusion (Free) and Fusion Studio. The Fuse allows you to create matte selections using a Cryptomatte "Matte Locator" control that is positioned using the Fusion Viewer window.

To get started:

1. Add a Cryptomatte exr file to your composite, such as the sample images, using a Loader node.

2. Select it and use the Select Tool window (Shift + Spacebar) to add a new Cryptomatte node to your composite.

3. Select the Cryptomatte node in the Flow area and display the output in a Viewer window.

4. Position the Cryptomatte "Matte Locator" control in the Viewer window over an object in the frame.

5. Press the "Add" button in the Cryptomatte Tools view to add a new matte entry to the Matte List.

Cryptomatte Fuse

fusionToolsView.png

Troubleshooting

Mixed Bit Depths in a Multi-Channel EXR

You will need to force a Loader node's Depth setting to "float32" if are working with multi-channel EXR footage such as V-Ray 3.6 renderings that have mixed bit depths such as 16-bit half-float RGB imagery, and 32-bit float based Cryptomatte channels in the same EXR file.

This adjustment is done by selecting a Loader node and displaying the Import tab. Clicking on the "float32" button will change the Fusion Viewer window based bit depth for the imagery to 32 bit float for all channels.

Note

The screenshots in this post were taken using a unofficial development version of Cryptomatte that shows a "Toggle" control that hasn't been included in the standard version of Cryptomatte yet. I was lazy and re-cycled the existing images I had to create this post. :D

remoz

Post #125 by remoz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Ok.. first of all thank you for all your help! :D

However.. after installing the latest CryptoMatte sucessfully..

"The CryptoFuse itself it's not working." :o

I am using the latest Fusion Pro 9.0.1 build3
I was able to download, install and run the latest FUSE successfully
I was loading the .exr in FULL FLOAT

And after all--> it's still not working ||| PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO THAT SHOWS THE ISSUE - 1minute 30seconds, FULL HD + AUDIO

Question:
What am I still doing wrong or missing here?

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #126 by Kristof » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Congrats, you got it installed. :) It works, trust me. Just try adding a selection to the matte list. The channels in the loader will no longer be shuffled and that's a good thing! So don't expect that to happen. The Fusion devs added EXRIO to avoid having to do this aggressive channel shuffling the fuse used to do. And as a benefit, you have all the ranks you'd like to have. It is no longer capped.

Cedric

Post #127 by Cedric » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:23 am

remoz wrote:Ok.. first of all thank you for all your help! :D

However.. after installing the latest CryptoMatte sucessfully..

"The CryptoFuse itself it's not working." :o

I am using the latest Fusion Pro 9.0.1 build3
I was able to download, install and run the latest FUSE successfully
I was loading the .exr in FULL FLOAT

And after all--> it's still not working ||| PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO THAT SHOWS THE ISSUE - 1minute 30seconds, FULL HD + AUDIO

Question:
What am I still doing wrong or missing here?

Hi remoz!

First of all, thank you for downloading and using Cryptomatte!
Sorry if it seemed all a little crytpic to get it to work, we are working on completing the installation and usage part of the README so that further confusions can be avoided. (This will be present at next release.)

Now to the working part, actually everything you see is correct!
If you take a look at the RELEASE NOTES, you will see that the latest version (1.2.0.b6) does not shuffle channels anymore, which is a huge improvement.
Thanks to Fusion 9.0.1 shipping an EXRIO module, Cryptomatte is able to read the input EXR withpout any user/UI interaction.
You will see in the release notes the description of the "Keyable Surface checkbox" which affects your view.
I would say, until the next release of Cryptomatte, have a look at the release notes for more (brief) details on the features.

I hope you enjoy using it, if there is anything off, keep us posted.

Cheers
Cedric

remoz

Post #128 by remoz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 am

I am sorry. I CAN'T MAKE IT WORK!

All I need, is a short video, or screenshots, that shows me how you USE the CryptoMatte Fuse?

a) How can you select the specific Layer - meaning, choosing Crypto for Materials, or Crypto for Layers, or Crypto for Nodes?
b) Once you selected the Materials, or the Layers, or the Nodes.. how can you see that selection in the viewport?

That's it.

CAN PLEASE SOMEONE SHOW ME THAT IN A VIDEO OR WITH SCREEN SHOTS?

Sorry... without that... I simple can't make it work.
Watch the 1-Minute video to see what I mean if that's still not clear.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #129 by Kristof » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 am

Hello again, Remoz. So, how to go about selecting mattes? You can see that happening in both screen casts that you can find in this thread. The most recent video--mind you, this one is still demoing a crypto that shuffles your loader's channels--shows you how (as does the one preceding it):

Use the matte locator and click the add button.

remoz

Post #130 by remoz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 am

wopppaaaaa :D
after lot's of drinks... I finally figured it out :P
Haha.. Jesus... what a heavy birth - thank you so much, appreciate all your help and patience! :D

thibaud
Fusioneer

Post #131 by thibaud » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 am

for your defense I'd say this definitively doesn't look like the most intuitive experience you could imagine

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #132 by Kristof » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:59 am

thibaud wrote:for your defense I'd say this definitively doesn't look like the most intuitive experience you could imagine

That's a bit of a broad statement. What part specifically? Installing? Looking at screencasts? Establishing mattes?

thibaud
Fusioneer

Post #133 by thibaud » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:38 am

Kristof wrote:
thibaud wrote:for your defense I'd say this definitively doesn't look like the most intuitive experience you could imagine

That's a bit of a broad statement. What part specifically? Installing? Looking at screencasts? Establishing mattes?

Can't say about the installing (which I haven't done) , but from looking at the screencasts, the establishing mattes is clearly not obvious to newcomers because it isn't using the user expected "pick" control to pick mattes nor is it clear that the "add" button actually requires a previous remote action (placing the cursor in the viewer)

lilianjoly

Post #134 by lilianjoly » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 am

Hello
thanks for your help
I use now cryptomatte under fusion 9
it works well
but i frequently have bugs: it's like on some frame the selector of the cryptomatte became crazy on one frame or two
I attached two screenshot ( one with the normal matte , and one with the crazy one )
It has happened almost on every render i have. i have look the fames in photoshop, they doesn't have any visible trouble in
To fix that I reload the cryptomatte on the specific frames, but it could re-happen randomly

any idea ?
thanks for all
Lilian

miaz3
Fusioneer

Post #135 by miaz3 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:47 pm

It is thanks to you, guys !

From Chaos Group TV