Psyop's Cryptomatte In Fusion

pingking
Fusionista

Re: Psyop's Cryptomatte In Fusion

Post by pingking » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:35 am

as far as i understand how cryptomatte works you can not get an ID through a transparent object, but the experts here will know better

Tags:

Hamp

Post by Hamp » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Is anyone using this in Fusion 9 ?

jonandy

Post by jonandy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:23 am

Regarding mattes for objects behind other refractive objects, there's not really a fundamental limitation there, but it depends on what's supported on the 3D side. On the 2D side, as far as Cryptomatte is concerned, mattes are just mattes, and there are no real restrictions on what kinds of mattes can be stored. A good rule of thumb is to try to make sure the mattes for each pixel add up to a value <= 1.0, but even that isn't strictly required.

All that being said, I'm not aware of any of the publicly-available Cryptomatte 3D implementations allowing refracted mattes yet (beyond simple alpha transparency). Hopefully that will change relatively soon, but I can't give an ETA yet until we get a better sense of what's involved on the 3D side.

olly

Post by olly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

jonandy wrote:I'm not aware of any of the publicly-available Cryptomatte 3D implementations allowing refracted mattes yet (beyond simple alpha transparency). Hopefully that will change relatively soon, but I can't give an ETA yet until we get a better sense of what's involved on the 3D side.
We use VRay in 3DS Max at our studio and I am sure that Chaos Group would gladly help here - their support is awesome: support at chaosgroup dot com

They have only recently implemented Cryptomatte and are always striving to enhance the tools that come with VRay.

I am happy to field the query, if you tell me what I need to ask!

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:22 am

There's an image called "testGrid_CryptoObject.exr" in the sample images folder that works fine with transparency. It's a stack of transparent 3D planes. Regarding refraction, we had a workaround and distorted the output of a crypto node using a dedicated renderlayer that we used to match the ray deflection in comp. We would refract a WPP shader and then use the world to cam matrix and a custom tool to convert them to a UV map. Mind you, it wasn't pixel perfect but it was close.
olly wrote:I have also noticed that the edges of my mattes are not anti-aliased - you can see this in the RH view.
Do you perhaps resize your crypto image _before_ decoding it with the fuse?

olly

Post by olly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 am

Kristof wrote:Do you perhaps resize your crypto image _before_ decoding it with the fuse?
No resizing was done here...

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 am

Okay, because you shouldn't. Mathematically, Nearest Neighbor is the only one that will give you the same result no matter the order, but of course in the context of having AA'd edges, you won't be using it anytime soon.

Can you share an image, so I can try it and see what might be going on?

olly

Post by olly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:18 am

Kristof wrote:Can you share an image, so I can try it and see what might be going on?
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I am afraid I cannot look at this for a few days yet - deadline is looming!

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:19 am

A'ight, no problem. Good luck with the project!

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:19 am

Silly question, how do I download the file from github? I've done everything (I think) including following a youtube tutorial to download cryptomatte from this sight but I can only seem to get a text doc...not the fuse.

Thanks in advance

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:35 am

Gypsy wrote:Silly question, how do I download the file from github? I've done everything (I think) including following a youtube tutorial to download cryptomatte from this sight but I can only seem to get a text doc...not the fuse.
Hi Gypsy.

Try this Cryptomatte ZIP download link:
https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte/archive/master.zip

Cedric

Post by Cedric » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:25 am

Hi @Gypsy

What do you mean by a text document?
Everything should be there, the cryptomatte.fuse file is the file to copy to the Fuses directory.

Cheers
Cedric

PS: Could you share the link of the youtube tutorial you watched?

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:53 pm

thanks guys, I got it!

lilianjoly

Post by lilianjoly » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Hamp wrote:I installed this on Fusion 9 on Linux and it works kind of.
The problem is that I only get one input on the cryptomatte node - is there something I need to enable, or something else I have missed?

Thanks in advance,
Hampus

Hello I'm new in fusion, i work on cgi images from maya/vray 3.6 and i just have discover cryptomattes with vray last version. I have the same problem: only one input on the cryptomatte node. everything else seems to work fine but i can't combine the 4 cryptomattes passes of vray render.
thanks for your kind help !

Lilian

Cedric

Post by Cedric » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, two weeks ago Andy Jones and Jonah Friedman released their updated version of Cryptomatte for Nuke (v1.2.0.b5), shipping lots of great new features, improvements and bug fixes.

Today, Kristof and I proudly present to you, version 1.2.0.b6, bringing all these latest features, bug fixes and improvements to the Fusion Cryptomatte!

Make sure to check it out!

https://github.com/Psyop/Cryptomatte#release-notes