Wireless Link and Datatypes

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Wireless Link and Datatypes

Post by Kristof » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:48 am

I'm a fan of the old Wireless Link fuse, even despite its limits. It can untangle a complex comp and make it more "readable". If you look at the code, you'll find "can do other datatypes too, as long as these are matched".

So we have the classic one for images and then there is one for 3D. I'd love to have one for mono channel images / bitmaps too. Key is finding the proper datatype--I found a list in the SDK (StandardDataTypes.h) and I assume that "Mask" is the one I'm after.

Code: Select all

#ifndef CLSID_DataType_Mask
//#define MASK_ID			zMAKEID('Mask')
//#define CLSID_DataType_Mask			MASK_ID
#endif
Having that list as a reference and not having to look through the SDK would be useful, I think.

Replacing the LINKID_DataType property to "Mask" worked--I can now drop bitmap masks--but then something strange happens: a visual connection is being made and it is no longer wireless. Odd, no?

I'd love to use the output of Chad's ColorSplitter fuse directly in a wireless fuse too, but I don't know if that is possible.

Chad
Fusionator

Re: Wireless Link and Datatypes

Post by Chad » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 am

Interesting... You can leave it as Mask, and LINK_Main = true/false just changes it from a white (mask) to orange (image) input instead of hiding it.

What do you want to do with ColorSplitter?

tlittle

Post by tlittle » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:36 am

Kristof, if you are able to figure out how to Wireless link mono-channel images please let me know how to implement! I am jumping up and down in excitement just thinking about it!

I use wireless links extensively and have built many scripts around them but am still frustrated by inability to pass mono data through them, I always have to use a bitmap node after the wireless link when I need to plug into a matte control garbage matte or other tool that require mono data.

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by Kristof » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Chad and tlittle.

Chad, I'm trying to connect a wireless node to a mono output of the colorsplitter.

ColorSplitter1.Red etc... Not working because of a datatype mismatch of course. But a custom mask wireless node doesn't work either. Going through a bitmap node (like tlittle is doing) does establish a connection on the modified mask one, but things go weird as described above.

I'm a fan of strategically placed wireless nodes too, tlittle :)

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Oh, well why not just connect it to the input of the ColorSplitter and just do the splitting in your own fuse?

Based on the attempts I've made since you posted this, I'm going to say that this is probably a bug and your only decent workaround is to not try to pass masks around wirelessly.

I hate Bitmap because, frankly, the out-of-order requests made of mask mean you have unpredictable mask sizes and it's just a horrible horrible mess (especially when network rendering).