Fuses and the lack of a proper manual are driving me nuts.

svenneve
Fusioneer

Fuses and the lack of a proper manual are driving me nuts.

Post by svenneve » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 am

This is more of a rant than anything else, so, i apologize before hand.

I'm trying to do some fuses that rely mostly on vector math, but the lacking manual / wiki is driving me nuts, nothing seems to be documented, nor does the Help/GetHelp command help, at all.
The wiki just tells me to refer to the SDK headers, but i don't think half the crap is actually implemented.

Want to make Fusion disappear without an error, just take two Vector3's and do a dot product on them in a fuse (poof, gone is Fusion)
Dot product on a Vector2? Doesn't seem to be implemented...

What is the use of these helper classes if they are not fully implemented?

Seriously...at times Fusion makes me want to strangle someone.

DJMoney

Re: Fuses and the lack of a proper manual are driving me nut

Post by DJMoney » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:05 am

The lack of documentation (not just for fuses) has pissed me off, too. I started working with it in 2007, and I love the software. The only issue is that when I need to look up something technical, I can't find it. The online manual is a nice 'getting to know' the software, but lacks details that I want to dig in to.

I'm hoping that the recent Blackmagic deal will help get some better information available. I know it's a thing of the past for most software, but the option to get an actual book, instead of online documentation, would be nice.

All of that said, I'm still trying to dig in and learn scripting, fuses, and whatever else I can. It's been frustrating, which is why I'm glad that I stumbled upon this forum. Hopefully it will help speed up the process.

Tilt
Global Moderator

Post by Tilt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:09 am

Have you looked at my SparseColor fuse, Sven? I've used a lot of vector math there, although I've used Vector4 I think.

svenneve
Fusioneer

Post by svenneve » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:35 am

Yeah i eventually used that one, the Vector4 class seems to be the most complete implementation, but it is somewhat overkill to do a Vector4 for Vector2 math (operation wise)

I switched to OpenCL for now, per pixel operations just reach a threshold of what are unrealistic calculation times for production rather fast (which is expected of course).

It's just frustrating when the scripting capabilities can't keep up with our demands.

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer
Answers: 6

Post by PeterLoveday » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 am

For per-pixel operations, using the Vector classes is probably a really bad idea too. It will completely cripple performance.

They're ok for calculating some vectors and such per-frame, but don't use them per-pixel if you want any speed.

- Peter