SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 2

[Fuse] [Script] - VFXPedia Fuse and Script archives

Post by SecondMan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:28 am

Fuses
Scripts

For our new users:

Fuses are tools created using Fusion's built in scripting language, eyeonScript. The difference between a Fuse and a normal tool is that a Fuse is nothing more than a text file containing scripting commands.

This flexible approach makes it easy to prototype and develop custom tools to fit an exact need. A Fuse can be added to a composition, edited and reloaded, all without even having to close the composition. This makes them much more convenient than SDK developed tools. Since a Fuse is interpreted during execution, rather than compiled in advance, they can be significantly slower than the identical tool might be if created using Fusion's C++ SDK, particularly when processing many pixels or particles. However, Fuses can take advantage of built-in functions for manipulating images at full speed, and can also be used as modifiers to manipulate parameters, curves and text very quickly. ViewShader Fuses can execute shader programs on the GPU at very high speeds.

Example: Fuses could generate a mask from the over-exposed areas of an image, or create initial particle positions based on the XYZ position stored within a text file.

Some real gems in here. Please note that some of these might not work in Fusion 7 due to changes in the Lua interpreter. But in that case someone here can surely help out. :)

Happy browsing!
Last edited by SecondMan on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Examples not quite spectacular at this time.

Chad
Fusionator

Re: [Fuse] [Script] - VFXPedia Fuse and Script archives

Post by Chad » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Is the example still valid? Weren't particle Fuses "temporarily" deprecated several releases ago, but never put back?

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:24 pm

I actually have no idea. I quoted that from the VFXPedia page...

Good point though, if that's indeed the case.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Oh, and I thought that mask fuses were also unavailable, so both of those examples would be bad.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:58 pm

But I guess a fuse could still generate that mask, just not as a mask node...

Now that you are in this topic, would you happen to know if this is available in Fuses: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... ?f=6&t=124 ? :)

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Peter showed me an example a long time ago about connecting to Fusion and getting the current comp from inside a Fuse. I remember using it to do funny things like move a tool around in the flow or change the color of a tool based on the processing in a Fuse. Unfortunately I can't find it. But the idea is you just run regular eyeonscript, you just need to connect to the current Fusion and comp just like you would from a commandline script to get the context right.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:29 am

Chad wrote:Peter showed me an example a long time ago about connecting to Fusion and getting the current comp from inside a Fuse. I remember using it to do funny things like move a tool around in the flow or change the color of a tool based on the processing in a Fuse. Unfortunately I can't find it. But the idea is you just run regular eyeonscript, you just need to connect to the current Fusion and comp just like you would from a commandline script to get the context right.
Wow I see. That sounds pretty neat. I would love to learn about that.

Although for my particular use case it seems awfully convoluted. Basically I wish to get the value of an input (ScrewControl) at a certain frame, which I know how to do. I also want to know if that value at that certain frame is a keyframe or not. That's all. But if it's not there it's not there, and if I know that I can do a feature request :)