Node Width

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 2

Node Width

Post by intelligent machine » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Is it possible to programmatically set the width of a macro/fuse node?

In the attached image I'm using a sticky note to bridge several merge nodes to illustrate:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChristopherNodal
Fusioneer

Re: Node Width

Post by ChristopherNodal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:35 pm

No, not that I know.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 4

Post by SirEdric » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Interesting.
What would be the benefits of such an enlarged tool?
If it's just a visual "space divider" an underlay (instead of the sticky) might help for the time being,
as it also selects all tools within it's realm when clicked on.

If you copy an underlay into a text editor, you could even change it's height to a value smaller than
the default minimum.
ThinUnderlay.png

Code: Select all

ViewInfo = UnderlayInfo {
	Pos = { 55, 115.5 },
	Size = { 507, 30 }
},
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 pm

SirEdric wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 pm
Interesting.
What would be the benefits of such an enlarged tool?
If it's just a visual "space divider" an underlay (instead of the sticky) might help for the time being,
as it also selects all tools within it's realm when clicked on.

If you copy an underlay into a text editor, you could even change it's height to a value smaller than
the default minimum.
ThinUnderlay.png

Code: Select all

ViewInfo = UnderlayInfo {
	Pos = { 55, 115.5 },
	Size = { 507, 30 }
},
Just a quirky idea. I usually use Fusion for VFX but occasionally use it for motion graphics work.
The idea was to create a 'mega' merge node that internally starts with a transparent background and can dynamically add additional merges but each new element has an 'in' and 'out' point (which gets the values from the source material and offsets in the timeline). Essentially this would allow one to merge a lot of graphic elements, some of which may be short image sequences, without having to worry about breakage due to missing frames. You just leave the loader as is and offset IN times within this one node. The node becomes a sort fo mini NLE. The ability to change the width of the node is purely cosmetic to keep columns of elements nice and tidy.

I want to take what you see in this flow and create a sequencer node (as described above) that will replace a lot of merge nodes.

ChristopherNodal
Fusioneer

Post by ChristopherNodal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:49 pm

I don't really understand why you would replace a perfectly clear flow graph with something that has dozens of hidden parameters in a too cramped corner of the UI, effectively stripping the visual representation from the process.

I get the demand for a Merge node that can take multiple inputs. Having used Nuke it's really convenient to be able to take 16 render tiles and plus them together with a single node and shortcut. But to replace a logic graph with one is a whole different beast.

Perhaps I am missing something.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 3

Post by Midgardsormr » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:46 am

ChristopherNodal wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:49 pm
I get the demand for a Merge node that can take multiple inputs. Having used Nuke it's really convenient to be able to take 16 render tiles and plus them together with a single node and shortcut.
MT_MultiMerge fulfills that desire.

I'd have to do some experimenting, but it should be possible to add some optional time offset parameters. If you (intelligent machine) wanted to contribute an update to MultiMerge, I certainly wouldn't mind. There are a couple of other things I want to do with it in the near future, but if you work that part out, I'll happily incorporate it.

Now that June's taken some of the pressure off of MT_Voronoi with his Fractal Noise fuse, MultiMerge has moved up into the #2 slot on my schedule behind the Version Control project.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:49 pm

If all footage is in the same size, it could even revive the old cliplist in a way. That sorta sounds as an exciting option. I've never like the idea of a multimerge because I like the paradigm of pipes that I can follow better than reordering layers, but a sequential multimerge, that's something I'd probably like a lot.(now if only I could wrap my head around how to approach this)

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Post by SecondMan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Hmm. I like that idea. Should be doable by rejigging the Switch Fuse...

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:38 pm

I've used the time Stretcher tool to make the offsets before when I wanted to reuse the same source at different points in the timeline and just leave the source in/out alone. I'll probably work off that idea. The idea here to be able to select a single node and adjust the in/out points of a whole group of tools. I made a screenshot of the multi merge with 4 networks connected to it and then mocked up some possible layouts.