Constraints of Fuses on 3D manipulations

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Constraints of Fuses on 3D manipulations

Post by bryanfordney » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi, I've dabbled a bit with Fuses for the last few months. I have not yet tried to make a Fuse that does anything with 3D Data, and have only dealt with manipulating images.

I'm wondering if any of you experienced lot could warn me if it's impossible to do what I'd like to do.

My hope would be to make something that operates a bit like pCustom or Custom Vertex 3D, except instead of manipulating particles or vertices, it manipulates 3d transforms of all the objects in the scene. So you'd be able to manipulate the "scale" for example, of each distinct 3d object present in the current scene.

Does that sound like something completely outside the scope of a Fuse?

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Re: Constraints of Fuses on 3D manipulations

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:20 am

I'm not a Fuse expert, but I seem to remember that 3D Fuses aren't possible at all at the moment. Macros do work, but Fuses don't. But I'm sure someone with more experience in this field will chime in on this.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 3

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Some 3D Fuses are possible (the 3D Wireless link and Time3D, for instance), but generally the 3D API isn't currently implemented. @Kristof's been doing some work with transform matrices and might be able to shed some light on it.

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Post by bryanfordney » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 am

Ok, I figured that was the case, which is unfortunate. It's nice that there's a particle API. If we could apply transform matrices to 3D objects that would be excellent.

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by Kristof » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am

Hey,

@Cedric and I are writing fuses that deal with matrices as a datatype so you can push it along in your comp, use and manipulate them. But as @Midgardsormr mentioned, 3D manipulations through a fuse, well, you can't do much in that context.

What you can do is connect a 3D transform's input controls (pretty straightforward by RMB'ing on the control and handpicking the connection from the menu) to a fuse that will revert a matrix to euler angles and transformations etc. I still need to verify a couple of things, but we should be able to share something in the near future.

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Post by bryanfordney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:50 am

My problem is that I really want to be able to have better control of the objects that Replicate3D outputs. I want to be able to make them all point at a target for example. Maybe it's possible somehow.

Another issue I have when dealing with particles and Replicate3D is carrying information from particle to 3d objects. For example I have some particles that change their size over their life. I'd like to run my particles (as points) into Replicate3D in order to replace them with random 3d objects. But then I wish I had access still to the lifespan of each particle and use that to drive the scale of each 3d object.

bfloch
Fusioneer

Post by bfloch » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:07 pm

This works. Just do size over life in the particles.
Another gotcha, you can't use points as they do not generate size for efficiency sake. Use ngon or other styles.

Sample attached:

topic_3249_replicate3d_size_age.comp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.