Workflow for creating macros on the fly

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Workflow for creating macros on the fly

Post by bryanfordney » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm a Fusion beginner but I've done some pretty heavy scripting in other programs to make workflows more efficient.

I'm wondering if there's a way in Fusion to achieve a workflow kinda like creating re-usable macros, but where those macros are still editable. For example, I have a special "Glow" effect I like that uses a bunch of tools. I can make a Macro out of this and re-use it, that's fine. But going back and editing it is a bit of a chore (unless you can inform me otherwise), and plus, I would love to be able to edit that macro and see instantly the changes from my edits in all the instances where that macro is used in the current comp.

Is there a recommended way of creating a fluid way of quickly creating macros, and tweaking them as needed as you work?

Thanks!

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Workflow for creating macros on the fly

Post by SecondMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Macros in Fusion are pretty much identical to Groups, so you can convert between the 2.

When you open a Macro in a text editor, find (at the top) MacroOperator and replace this with GroupOperator. Then copy everything back into your Flow View and your Macro's internals will be a mere click or shortcut (CTRL+E) away.

If you want a Tool Script for that, look for hos_Macro2Group in Reactor.

As for your other question - that's not so straightforward since Macros are saved in their entirety in the comp - as opposed to a reference to them - so they are not "live" in that sense. You may be able to script your way around that but I have yet to see an elegant solution...