In light of the Coronavirus crisis, please help make sure nothing stands in the way of social distancing in the VFX industry.

This petition asks the MPAA to act accordingly:

Sign the petition on Change.org

Be safe, everyone.

Slap Comp using python

dbelair

Slap Comp using python

Post by dbelair » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am

Hello guys!
I've been searching on the web to create a slap comp but couldn't find the answer. I'm trying to start a slap comp externally using python. I couldn't find any procedure explaining the procedure properly. Here are the steps I need to do:

1. Start Fusion from python ( couldn't find anything on that except fuscript....not sure)
2. Change the loaders and frame offset ( scene already set up )
3. Change some text info
3. Save comp
4. Render
5. Close

Does anyone has done that or know the procedure? There's not a lot of examples on the web on the subject using python.

Many thanks!

Dan

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 15

Re: Slap Comp using python

Post by SecondMan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum, Dan!

First off, external scripting requires Fusion Studio, the free version doesn't support it.

Have you gone through the official scripting guide already? It's not entirely up to date, but it will give you a good idea of what is possible and how to do most if not all of what you are requiring. It also covers Python as well as Lua.

dbelair

Post by dbelair » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks for the quick answer!
I'm reading the fusion 8 guides. I'm comfortable with python also. I'm having a hard time figuring how to kick off the slap comp. Not sure to understand the procedure. Also trying not to use Nuke, but the coding document and tuts seem to be harder to find. Do you know where to find a step by step tut somewhere? How can I launch the slap from python? What do I need to call? Once I know that I think I'll be ok with the nodes...seems to be straightforward. Any step by step would be appreciated...I;m still searching!:)
Thanks again!
Dan

dbelair

Post by dbelair » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Ok, thanks! Found it ! We should make a clear tutorial on this. I think it would be helpful. Suprised it was hard to find...Am I the only one doing slap comps! :)
Thanks again!