In light of the Coronavirus crisis, please help make sure nothing stands in the way of social distancing in the VFX industry.

This petition asks the MPAA to act accordingly:

Sign the petition on Change.org

Be safe, everyone.

Gridwarp Tracker Beta Version

MelbFilm
Fusioneer

Gridwarp Tracker Beta Version

Post by MelbFilm » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

I have created a tool script that you can attach to a Grid Warp that allows you to track that Grid Warps points and then create a new Grid Warp that will follow the underlying texture (if tracking is sufficient). So this is kind of a Patch Tracker for deforming 2D surfaces.

I have added the some items to a dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l4vr6b7r22r1 ... D3pya?dl=0

In it is the tool script 'ISDK_GridWarpTrack.lua' to be inserted into the Scripts/Tools directory, as well as a dummy project and some source and sample footage. Be warned the project uses 216 trackers so can be a bit slow, I've also noticed Fu 16 crashes sometimes when the number of trackers goes higher than this. Also the test footage is not great quality but it suits the purpose of this example.

This is not something that will be difficult to break if not used how I've intended so apologies for that, the code feels like a bit of a hack to be honest. It doesn't do anything special other than automate the process to save the user time. Essentially you create the grid where each point becomes a tracker and then you recreate that grid from the trackers.

Currently it is set up to overlay footage but I am going to look into reversing the source and destination so it can be used for paint outs as well.

Captain LeBuck
Fusioneer

Re: Gridwarp Tracker Beta Version

Post by Captain LeBuck » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:34 am

Very saucy! thank you!

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 16

Post by SecondMan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Really, really nice! Thanks for sharing!

Your example works well, too, and I've been able to recreate all the steps as outlined in the instructions.

When I try a different patch from scratch however, I can create the GridWarp and associated WarpTracker. But then when trying to create the Animated GridWard I get the following error:

Code: Select all

...kmagic Design\Fusion\Scripts\Tool\ISDK_GridWarpTrack.lua:222: attempt to index a nil value
Fusion 9 and 16 the same...

I'm attaching the comp that generates this error, for you to take a look. Totally possible I'm doing something wrong of course ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MelbFilm
Fusioneer

Post by MelbFilm » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Sorry my bad.

The error is caused because the script was written for the tracker paths to be Bezier Polyline (the default), yours is using XY Splines which is a different format for the data, this can be fixed by changing the Comps Preference/Splines/TrackerPath setting to 'Bezier Polyline' before creating the Tracker. I will see if I can force this path in the creation of the Tracker in the code to fix this. Will update the code soonish.

As an aside some of the trackers on the outside overlap onto the BG and there are a lot of points on the elephants ear that will slip due to the lack of detail.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:11 am

Ah sweet, that's pretty easy to get around, thanks!
MelbFilm wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 pm
As an aside some of the trackers on the outside overlap onto the BG and there are a lot of points on the elephants ear that will slip due to the lack of detail.
Oh I'm not surprised - I'm testing this on a 7 inch screen :D

Millolab
Fusionista

Post by Millolab » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am

MelbFilm wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm
I have created a tool script that you can attach to a Grid Warp that allows you to track that Grid Warps points and then create a new Grid Warp that will follow the underlying texture (if tracking is sufficient). So this is kind of a Patch Tracker for deforming 2D surfaces.

I have added the some items to a dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l4vr6b7r22r1 ... D3pya?dl=0

In it is the tool script 'ISDK_GridWarpTrack.lua' to be inserted into the Scripts/Tools directory, as well as a dummy project and some source and sample footage. Be warned the project uses 216 trackers so can be a bit slow, I've also noticed Fu 16 crashes sometimes when the number of trackers goes higher than this. Also the test footage is not great quality but it suits the purpose of this example.

This is not something that will be difficult to break if not used how I've intended so apologies for that, the code feels like a bit of a hack to be honest. It doesn't do anything special other than automate the process to save the user time. Essentially you create the grid where each point becomes a tracker and then you recreate that grid from the trackers.

Currently it is set up to overlay footage but I am going to look into reversing the source and destination so it can be used for paint outs as well.
I tried your script and I find it very useful. Something that would be great to have is the possibility to choose between source and destination.
Can't wait for it to happen!
Thanks a lot!

MelbFilm
Fusioneer

Post by MelbFilm » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Have added a new version of the script into the dropbox, it now allows to set the Warp to Animate the Source as well as Destination. Also noticed that I got much better results with Pattern Width=0.015 and Height=0.025 with the example I created, the stabilised patch (Source) actually looked surprisingly solid (Though I only ran it over the first 50 odd frames).

I have also decided to only pop up a console warning message with a solution to the bug experienced by 2nd Man as I wasn't comfortable with forcing a preference change to make it work. Leave that option up to the user.

Also the Tool can be used at any stage, you just need to open the script with the Original GridWarp selected enter in the associated Warp Tracker name in 'Created Tracker' so you can finesse your trackers and create as many Dest/Src Warps as you like.

Still pretty easy to break though :)

Millolab
Fusionista

Post by Millolab » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:53 am

MelbFilm wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:48 pm
Have added a new version of the script into the dropbox, it now allows to set the Warp to Animate the Source as well as Destination. Also noticed that I got much better results with Pattern Width=0.015 and Height=0.025 with the example I created, the stabilised patch (Source) actually looked surprisingly solid (Though I only ran it over the first 50 odd frames).

I have also decided to only pop up a console warning message with a solution to the bug experienced by 2nd Man as I wasn't comfortable with forcing a preference change to make it work. Leave that option up to the user.

Also the Tool can be used at any stage, you just need to open the script with the Original GridWarp selected enter in the associated Warp Tracker name in 'Created Tracker' so you can finesse your trackers and create as many Dest/Src Warps as you like.

Still pretty easy to break though :)
Thanks man! Testing this out right now!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 pm

Damn. This is straight out of the box, no spline editing no nothing. Took a couple of minutes only to set up.

Very impressive setup, really. We should maybe look into ways of "toolifying" it further... :)

It's also good to be reminded again of how strong Fusion's 2D tracker is.

MelbFilm
Fusioneer

Post by MelbFilm » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:49 pm

Nice.

maximronkin

Post by maximronkin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:05 am

Really cool idea!

I'm trying to follow the directions but fail at the beginning. Getting this error when trying to run the script after selecting the GridWarp.
  1. ...kmagic Design\Fusion\Scripts\Comp\ISDK_GridWarpTrack.lua:39: attempt to index local 'toolGW' (a nil value)
Any idea what am i doing wrong?

Thanks,

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:51 am

maximronkin wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:05 am
Probably this: viewtopic.php?p=26368#p26368

There should be a console error with the latest version of the script.

MelbFilm
Fusioneer

Post by MelbFilm » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:23 pm

maximronkin wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:05 am
Really cool idea!

I'm trying to follow the directions but fail at the beginning. Getting this error when trying to run the script after selecting the GridWarp.
  1. ...kmagic Design\Fusion\Scripts\Comp\ISDK_GridWarpTrack.lua:39: attempt to index local 'toolGW' (a nil value)

Thanks,
Make sure you select a GridWarp control before running the Script, I will update the code to report this error. Also make sure you have the script installed in the scripts\tools folder.

maximronkin

Post by maximronkin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:25 am

Done both of these. Still getting the same error.
GridWarp_Test.comp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pstgoo

Post by Pstgoo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am

Thank you. It's working really well. Tried with different footage with great results.
"...Currently it is set up to overlay footage but I am going to look into reversing the source and destination so it can be used for paint outs as well." - Are you working on this? Would be amazing!!!