Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Switch Fuse - Nested Performance Issues

dukevannori
Answers: 1

Switch Fuse - Nested Performance Issues

Post by dukevannori »

Hi guys,

i ran into a small hickup in my project. I used the amazing SwitchFuse to toggle between multiple prerendered background animations.

the BGs have some differenciations i´d like to offer in the editor page. these are "color", "type", "region", "fade"
for each combination i have a prerendered animation. and now i combine these selections to select one animation out of many.
the editor has 4 dropdowns. each dropdown selects one option from a switch. these switches are nested.
having no BG i render in 0:47
having the plain video (no switch, no expression) in BG i have rendertime 1:07
Having a switch of 4 BG animations with one option selector: 1:27
and from there it goes downhill. 2 switches nested into one: 1:37
... having all 4 levels of switches we talk about 6 minutes rendertime.
no matter what is selected, it should only render one BG (which it does.)

i used "dissolve" at first and then rebuild the whole project using the switchFuse which allowed for a way simpler project using only one expressionvalue per switch

is there a way to optimise that? is there a way of executing the expression just on the first frame and then go from there? or is there a better "switch"?

thanks a lot, cheers, arne
The nested switches
the selection
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dukevannori

Re: Switch Fuse - Nested Performance Issues

Post by dukevannori »

Further digging revealed that having all my loaders connected to a single switch makes it even worse than having then nested into multiple levels of switches.

any idea what to do or alternatives to the switch fuse?
for example: can I use a wireless link to link to a loader with a script/expression?

does no one need variable backgrounds in templates?

thanks guys and have a good night

dukevannori

Post by dukevannori »

just reporting back:

so this is not related to the SwitchFuse - its a general problem (probably because I´m not using it right):

The problem is consistent no matter how I connect these 24 MediaIns. The performance gets bad in any case. I can have each mediaIn merged seperately, or with a dissolve, or switchFuse, or Mulstimerge ... its always the same.
my last try was using merges and turning PassThrough off for all but one of the 24 merges and media ins - same outcome .... playback speed goes from 24 frames down to 1.2

as long as i have all mediaIn connected somehow (no matter if they are visible or not in the final media out) to my media out the performance goes down. so im back to my initial idea of having a dropdown that selects the ONE input and only connects this to the flow ...

see my other posting for my new problem (simply syntax this time)

TerryPXM
Fusioneer

Post by TerryPXM »

Hi buddy, not ideal but can you try using the Dissolve node as an alternative and see if the performance improves?

dukevannori

Post by dukevannori »

Hi Terry, like I stated above - no matter what tool i use the performance goes downhill ... but i found another way:
direct tool connection with a connectTo() command executed on button press - that solves a lot of issues ... will post in detail in my other thread: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 824#p34824