Re: [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.1.1*

Post by antnik » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Great Job SecondMan. Thank you !!!!!!

Tags:

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Rockin wrote:I have to extract some objects out of a white background (yes, I know!), and I'd like to use KAK because I feel it has a better potential to get a reasonable result than me endlessly fiddling with a luma keyer :)

However, screen types are only red, green or blue. What's the recommended workflow in this situation?
Interesting use case...

Well, since white implies equal (more or less) values of R, G and B in your screen colour, it would depend on what your subject is.

I wouldn't use an green screen type for a green subject, for example.

Can you send me a still of what you're trying to key? I can think of plenty of things to suggest, but it will all depend on the image.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:21 pm

antnik wrote:Great Job SecondMan. Thank you !!!!!!
You're welcome, antnik!

Rockin

Post by Rockin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:13 am

The files are private so I sent you a PM :)

Murphoff

Re: [Macro] [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.1.1*

Post by Murphoff » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm pretty good using programs, but sometimes I get a brain fart. I am having trouble finding where I am to place the three files to update KAK. Sorry to be dense, but could someone walk me through the process? (I am using Fusion from BM.)
Thanks

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Of course. Welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

The Fuses and Macro can go in your program folder:
/Program Files/Blackmagic/Fusion/Fuses and /Program Files/Blackmagic/Fusion/Macros respectively.

However, I would recommend you put them in your user folder, under

/Users/Public/Public Documents/BlackmagicDesign/Fusion/Fuses and /Users/Public/Public Documents/BlackmagicDesign/Fusion/Macros

Those folders should already be there.

That way they will be available to every Fusion install you might have on your system, now or in the future.

One thing to note is that while there is no problem having multiple copies of a Macro in there, you should only have a single copy of any Fuse, to avoid conflicts. Even if they are different versions.

EDIT:

:idea: Another possibility...

Path Maps

The Global Preferences / Path Maps panel can be used to set the folder used by Fusion to load Fuses. The Fuses: pathmap typically defaults to Fusion:Fuses, where Fusion: is a path mapping that represents the folder where Fusion is installed. One way to share Fuses would be to set the path map to a networked location. For example, the Fuses path map could be modified to a networked location like \\servername\sharename\fusion\fuses.

The same goes for Macros.
Last edited by SecondMan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adjusted file paths

rickvdvulkaan

Post by rickvdvulkaan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:01 am

from what i tried so far, the results are amazing! but its reaally slow to work with @ my pc. But from what i read here, i guess im the only one? maybe i should upgrade my pc :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:47 am

What are you running it on?

I'm building KAK on a modest sub $1K gaming laptop which I bought a year and a half ago and that's my benchmark for keeping it pretty fast. If a feature I add is too slow for me there, it doesn't go in.

Given its features, KAK is slower than Keylight, IBK or Primatte, but certainly faster than Ultimatte. I can imagine 4K taking a while to render but 2K should be fine on any reasonably recent setup.

Also what matters is Fusion 6.4 vs 7. Fusion 7 can be a LOT faster. Especially at higher resolutions.

I have been pondering a quality setting for it, but I'm not sure if the benefit of that outweighs the hassle of setting it up.

Don't forget proxy scaling - KAK properly supports it for all of its functions. Working at a proxy scale of 2 or even 4 should pretty much make it fly.

rickvdvulkaan

Post by rickvdvulkaan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:11 am

my pc:

amd 6core (about 3 years old)
4gb ddr3
forgot the gpu, but will check it when im @home, but it was mid-range a few years ago i guess.

im on the new fusion 7.5 from blackmagic.

i dont think its super-duper-slow, but the difference huge when comparing with keylight etc. however, i really love the quality it gives with so less effort.. it could be my pc, im getting strange errors with other software too.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:25 am

If you want to compare it with Keylight, you'd have to set the Clean Plate mode to Solid Color, at least. :)

Also don't forget that this is not a plugin, but a macro. So every time you use this, you're pulling a tree of 126 nodes into Fusion. In that sense it's actually super fast.

But yes, that's a pretty modest machine nowadays. 4gb of ram would be a little tight. Ram makes a big difference in Fusion. The GPU won't make a difference in this case.

musicman2763

Post by musicman2763 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Great tool SecondMan! I played around with it today and the results were fantastic. I am new to Fusion and ran into an interesting issue. For some reason when I connected the output of the KAK3 into a 3D Image Plane texture material input the alpha channel registers an alpha value of 1 in the areas that were keyed out. When I view the KAK3 node in my viewer the alpha value for the keyed areas is 0. This strange issue was also present when I created a 2d merge node compositing the output of the KAK3 node on top of a background.

The result in the composit is that the areas that are keyed out appear to be tinged so it is translucent and not pure transparent.

I am running Fusion 7 and am also fairly new to compositing and this is my first post on this forum. As a result I am unsure as to what details I need to provide to aide in any troubleshooting efforts so let me know what information I need to provide if you choose to try to help me out with this curious development.

Thanks again for the great tool!!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi there musicman2763!

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear you like it so far. I'm not quite sure what it is that you're seeing - in any case I can't reproduce it and it works as it should. Best thing to do is either upload a comp (you can attach it to your reply) or just copy/paste the nodes in question in a post by putting them inside code tags. If you can, add a still image of what it is you are trying to key as well.

Read more about code tags, uploads and other forum tricks here: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... ?f=2&t=275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be happy to help you get going!

musicman2763

Post by musicman2763 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks for the quick response SecondMan! When generating the images to add I have reason to believe that the issue I am having may not be stemming from the KAK3 tool after all. (Which I am sure does not come as a shock :D )

When I first was attempting to trouble shoot the issue I was simply removing the 3D plane from my 3D scene and observing that the keyed out area of the 3D plane was not entirely transparent in the render. When I openned the comp earlier to produce the sample pictures instead of removing the 3D plane from the the 3D scene I disconnected the output of the KAK3 from the material input of the 3D plane consequently leaving the 3D plane still in the 3D scene but with out a material. My logic was that the 3D plane would be transparent since it did not contain any material data. Following are examples of what I am speaking about. The images are from the 3D render node.

Secondly, when I used the output of a keying flow that I fused as the material input for the 3D plane in question the keyed area of the footage was transparent in the render as you can see in the respective attachment.

Finally, I have attached the Fusion comp file hoping that it can provide evidence that I did something wrong somewhere in the pipeline as well as a still of the video I am trying key and composit. The comp file contains a lot of node trees referencing 3D objects but am fearful that attempting to upload the project folder would be abusive because of its size but let me know if the comp is useless due to broken links.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Cool - thanks for taking the time to upload all that. I'll take a look as soon as I have access to Fusion again later tonight as soon as possible - crazy days...

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi there. I briefly ran through your comp - and although I'm not entirely sure what your intentions are, from what I can tell the issue that you're having could stem from the fact that you have lighting turned on, and your image plane has specularity. If you indeed want to light your keyed material on the image plane, turning off spec could get rid of that whitewash you're seeing.

But I'm not quite sure if that's indeed what your question is... ?