[Macro] [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.2*

chino

Re: [Macro] [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.1.1*

Post by chino » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:33 am

I posted this question in some old topic, but i think it would be better if i'd posted here :)
------------------------->

Thank you SecondMan for KAK keyer... It's best keyer for fine details.
I have one question about keying workflow. I watched your tutorial (part 1-3) but greenscreen on that example is "too perfect" :) ... I usualy get badly lit screens.
In my example i have 2 people on blue screen. KAK does great job on hair, but core has holes (body is semi-transparent). I don't fully understand math behind KAK, but i assume that because of subtraction, pixels also change color. That is fine, but when i plug core matte in, those pixels stay original color. So i usualy blur core matte a lot in some parts (even more masking :)). I hope i am making sense. If i'm not, i'll have to post images :).
Is there any better workflow for this?

Thank you

Tags:

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:31 am

Hi chino,

Thanks for the compliment - glad you like it!

Bonus points for watching the tutorials ;) - yes, the example in there was specifically chosen to illustrate general workflow. Every good key is unique, so a solution for fixing a tricky one might not apply to another.

There are a number of ways to get around what you describe. Some require some reshuffling of channels, so you could recombine despilled colour channels with the adjusted matte. Another way could be to skip screen subtraction altogether and rely on the despill algorithms for getting rid of the blue casts in your subject, and if needed do another, separate key for your edges.

If all your experiments fail, feel free to send me images - my email address is in KAK's info tab. It could be a while before I can look at them, but I always do and I welcome more examples. Examples can sometimes help develop KAK further.

chino

Post by chino » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:18 am

thank you...

i wanted to write you email with images, but i found out that screen subtraction unchecked with combination of "bring back transparent detail" works best :). spill is usualy not problematic.
but i'm still waiting for some "built-in core matte maker", so i don't have to use second tool for core ;)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm

That has been on my to-do list for a very long time, and I do have a couple of ideas for it which would set it apart from currently available options.

The question remains whether it should be incorporated in the tool or not. There's only so many features you can cram in there before it gets unwieldy and confusing. But a core matte generator wouldn't be so strange, especially since that's something that you would typically need anyway.

jirka
Fusioneer

Post by jirka » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:35 pm

SecondMan wrote:That has been on my to-do list for a very long time, and I do have a couple of ideas for it which would set it apart from currently available options.
I would love to hear your tips. I found that using corner detection to protect little wanted holes in matte from dilate/erode roundness destruction quite often reduces the amount of roto needed.

gswartz

Post by gswartz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:58 pm

Thank you for this. But when I try to use this and click the pick button to pick the background color, I get the windows color window dialog instead of a color eye dropper picker. Any idea why? Thanks.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Click, hold and drag :)

gswartz

Post by gswartz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Awesome, thanks!

kuban

Post by kuban » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:36 am

I am new to Fusion, but I installed Fusion 7.7.1 (free version) on windows10. I have some problems with running KAK.

I only seem to have:
`Screen Select`, `Key`, `Transparent Detail`, `Despill` and `Colour` modes.
I can not get into matte edge, shrink menus. Amd I missing something?

I installed the switch fuse and KAKr.fuse under C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Fuses\KAK
and KAK_v3.1.1.setting to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Macros

Am I missing something? When I edit KAK macro, I can see many options. But can not use them when adding KAK from Add Tool>Matte>KAKr :(

PS: When I currently key using a clean plate, my alpha even seems to be inverted, even if I say it should use Green channel.

How can I use KAK?

kuban

Post by kuban » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:40 am

I have seen some errors in console. Might be related:

Any macro with an image output may be used as a view LUT, by placing its .setting file in the LUTs: path. You can even
use the saved .setting file of one or more tools.

[string "--- Begin FFI Script ---..."]:18495: bad argument #1 to 'setfenv' (number expected, got cdata)
[string "--- Begin FFI Script ---..."]:18495: bad argument #1 to 'setfenv' (number expected, got cdata)

kuban

Post by kuban » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:51 am

I would like to show you my screen shot from the Fusion GUI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:15 am

That's the KAKr fuse, not KAK itself.

You use KAK by going into Macro -> KAK_v3.1.1

You'll see all the fancy options in there. :)

The KAKr Fuse is not to be used on its own. You can get something out of it if you know how exactly it works, but just see it as the "engine" for KAK. It's used internally, and controlled by the Macro.

Don't put KAK in the LUTs: path. That won't work.

kuban

Post by kuban » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:11 am

Thanks Secondman, yes I have to use it from the Macros :) Thanks for helping.

superegophobia

Post by superegophobia » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Has KAK been tested on OS X? It's been crashing randomly for me on the Fusion 8 beta 2 with v3.1.1 on OS 10.10.4.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:13 pm

No. But feel free to send me a Mac :mrgreen: