Post by SecondMan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:28 pm

You're welcome! Always nice to hear :)

And welcome to We Suck Less!

Tags:

freakminded

Re: [Macro] [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.2*

Post by freakminded » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:15 am

Thank you!

I just installed Fusion 16 with the new UI... all the slider descriptions of KAK are now invisible. jfyi

Robin

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 2

Post by SirEdric » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:46 am

freakminded wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:15 am

I just installed Fusion 16 with the new UI... all the slider descriptions of KAK are now invisible. jfyi

Yes. It's horrible. A best-practice-design-fault...:-)

Tory
Fusioneer

Post by Tory » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Yeah... The problem seems to me to be related to BMD locking check boxes to a specific location. So the ICD_Width variable ends up cutting off the title on the next control.

A few posts back I posted a hack that exposes the titles again but it is pretty ugly :)

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 4

Post by SecondMan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:01 am

Hm. What can I say... ?

I reported the updated KAK UI/UX abomination challenges to BMD more than a year ago. In fact let me just attach the image I sent along.

You can all be the judge of improvements since then.

Just to give all of you a bit of history, The UI of KAK, going from version 2 to 3, was completely redesigned to suit production needs. What this meant was this: once artists were becoming familiar with the tool, the UI (in version 2) became a bottleneck - it was cumbersome to adjust the UI because there were so many controls and lots of them were in drop-down menus, and a little obtuse - the tool was not as "discoverable" as it should be, neither was it straightforward to build muscle memory for working with it.

So all the many drop-down menus from version 2 were dropped in favour of multi-buttons in version 3, and a LOT of thought and testing has gone into making using KAK as painless as possible given the enormous amount of options. Basically the UI was rebuilt to follow a sensible keying workflow, and its order of operations.

I'm not saying KAK is perfect as it is now, in fact I have (had) plans to do a version 4 which would be markedly different in approach, but it's pretty damn good for what it needs to do. But it's not possible to do this in the latest versions of Fusion.

Resolve 15 came along, multi-buttons were replaced with drop-down menus (why for the love of all that is good why?!) and a lot of very peculiar choices were made regarding what BMD considers modern and intuitive, anyway see image above. Basically - what KAK is concerned - they broke everything :)

So where does that leave us right now? Well, I can try and fit a square peg into a round hole and redo the UI to fit into the current releases of Resolve and Fusion as if they were made for eachother, but that will make KAK less functional than it is now. Honestly, unless someone pays me generously for my time, I have little interest in doing this.

However, the UI of Fusion is not set in stone.

Grant Petty wrote:

My feeling is we will just let the community guide us. Peoples workflows change over time. So let's just do what works for people and then we can relax a bit and just focus on the engineering stuff!

What really (REALLY) needs to happen, now that the cat is out of the bag, is that you - all you Fusion users - let BMD know what you want from the tools they make. Be vocal about how you use them, and WANT to use them. Go post on the BMD forum, send emails to support@blackmagicdesign.com, write about this on your blogs if you have them. And at the same time be courteous and patient. Don't try to offer a solution but describe your problem and requirements, so that BMD can really understand the needs.

I'm hopeful things will change for the better. Fusion 16 brings a promise of a strong future, while receiving very consistent feedback about the UI/UX. BMD is committed - so they say - to developing efficient tools (just listen to Grant's NAB 2019 talk about number of clicks to get somewhere) so let's give them a chance to put their money where their mouth is.

Rest assured that KAK will follow as soon as it makes sense... :)

freakminded

Post by freakminded » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:00 am

@SecondMan
Thank you for the in-depth reply. I will definitely write to BMD... after all, Fusion 16 is still in Beta!
In the meantime I can still make-do with Fusion 9.

@Tory Ah, right! It does help! thanks. However, another Issue that I have with the F16 Beta is that it crashes when I use the FG/BG Combine-Tab in KAK, so I will still have to resort to F9.

Robin