[Macro] [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.2*

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 4

Re: [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.0.1*

Post by SecondMan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:48 pm

In light of an imminent release I thought this might be a cool image to post... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tags:

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:40 am

:shock: :o :o

Tilt
Global Moderator

Post by Tilt » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:22 pm

any plans to move more of that into the kAKr Fuse? :-D

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 pm

:D

If there was ever a use case to support a request for selective visibility of pipes, this is it, right? :)

Yes, for sure there are plans to move more into the Fuse. I'm just learning as I go along and every now and then I add some functionality in there that allows me to delete another couple of nodes. Ultimately, who knows, it might one day just be a Fuse... but I'll have to learn a heck of a lot more before then.

That would mean support for versions of Fusion earlier than 7 would be dropped, though, so I won't be doing that quite so soon.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Re: [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.1*

Post by SecondMan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:27 pm

I'm happy to release version 3.1 of KAK today! :)

The opening post is updated with the latest version. You need to replace KAK_v3.1.setting, as well as the KAKr Fuse.

This is a major update, with lots of new goodies:

Bug fixes:
  • When using an external Garbage Matte, resulting matte values could go over 1.
  • Noise Mask Output would display incorrectly when Noise Mask is set to a channel, if the Frame Format would differ from the resolution of the Foreground Image and no mask would be connected to KAK.
  • Background wrap edge levels were too high, relative to and when used in conjunction with Background Wrap Softness.
  • BG Wrap Softness and Spill Area Softness had incorrect image clipping modes, causing image edge bleeds.
  • Despill Matte Output now works correctly when Despill is turned off.
  • Spill Matte didn't show Despill Clip/Threshold when Spill Replace was not set to Auto Adjust R/G/B
  • Garbage matting is now happening before FG/BG combine, so the wrap range will no longer contain elements that are being garbaged out.

New feature:
  • "Main Output" buttons replaced with "<<" for clarity of output priority.
  • Added Viewer LUT option to compensate for Output when viewing mattes. Set this to match your viewer LUT. Note this has no influence on the internal keying process itself. Currently this supports sRGB and rec709 view LUTS. This can (and will) expand in the future with other colour spaces and/or File LUTs, OCIO, depending on feedback. For best results it is strongly recommended to work in linear color space with KAK.
  • Removed Solid Color Weighting (since nobody should really use that anyway...)
  • Introduced non-linear sliders for most Clean Plate parameters, as well as Squeeze Matte, Matte Gamma, Clean Up, Despill Threshold and Denoise Size.
  • Added external Wrap Matte input.
  • Added Multiply modes to Garbage Matte, Core Matte and Wrap Matte.
  • Added Background Wrap Gain.
  • Despill now does Luminance Compensation (default is on).
  • Despill algorithm can now properly deal with colour values greater than 1.
  • Spill Replace can now Use BG Wrap Image.
  • Improved Luminance Compensation in the Keyer (it's also a little faster).
  • Added Luminance Compensation Range in the Keyer.
  • Mattes Output now contains Screen Select Matte, Spill Matte, Background Wrap Matte and Final Matte in RGBA respectively, multiplied with Garbage Matte (if active)
  • Version number is now in the main tab.
And last but not least: version 3.1 comes with video tutorials! Hurray!

Please find those here: KAK Videos! Weeeee!

Enjoy! :D

msadauskas

Post by msadauskas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:56 am

Amazing! Thank you very much.

Miko

Rockin

Post by Rockin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:40 am

Awesome! It's great that you managed to do some video tutorials, I bet they're going to help tons of people, myself included.

tlittle

Post by tlittle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:52 am

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing tool. I installed KAK 3.1 with its required fuses for my installation of Fusion 6.4 but things don't seem to be working properly. Is KAK 3.1 and its fuses compatible with Fusion 6.4 build 1111? Our studio will be on Fusion 7.0 in a few months hopefully :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 am

"Not working properly" is a little too generic for me to make sense of, though :)

What happens? Do you get any messages in the console?

I'll install build 1111 a bit later today to take a look. One thing to make sure of is that you have only one version of either Fuse installed.

tlittle

Post by tlittle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Oh wow that is very kind of you to leap into trying to bugfix the issue!! I am very sorry, I really just thought to receive a yes/no answer like "no KAK only works with new Fusion 7 magic." I would have been more specific otherwise. You really don't need to jump into trying to recreate any issues. If the problem persists I will write a proper description. There was no error message in the console, just wasn't getting results I expected when pressing buttons and following latest youtube tutorial. There could be any number of reasons so its most likely user error. Thank you again for creating and updating your amazing keyer :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Not at all - this is how I make KAK better :)

As far as I can tell it works just fine in build 1111. There are a few differences in Fu7 vs 6 that will show up somewhat. The clean plate might show some hard transitions even with the use of Soften Expansion Seams in 6.4, so you might want to use some Overall Soften Clean Plate.

However, I did find a nasty bug to do with Luma Matte Fill which shows up more clearly when using 6.4 and I should really have caught it when doing the video tutorials. This is why bug reports are so useful! :D

Let me know if your problems go away when Luma Matte Fill is off and I'll update KAK straight away.

Alternatively you can always send me your setup and a still frame of what it is you are trying to key - sometimes a problem can be very particular and the more material I have to work with the better.

tlittle

Post by tlittle » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 am

Good news! My issue seemed to be resolved by removing a version 1.7 Switch fuse that was in the same folder as the new Version 1.71 Switch fuse. Thanks for alerting me about that. I haven't been using the Generate Clean Plate option actually because I was able to have the DP shoot clean plates on set but I will watch out for any luma matte fill weirdness. Thankfully using the external clean plate has made some of the keys as simple as a 1 click solution, I am very impressed!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Re: [KAK] - KAK 3 is here! *Current version: 3.1.1*

Post by SecondMan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm

That's great! :)

Good to hear - and thanks for the compliments!

Ah - the joys of a shoot well done. KAK was made with difficult keys in mind, but if your footage is very nice, the rewards can be pretty immediate ;)

I've updated KAK with the bugfix in the opening post. No need to do anything if you're not using Luma Matte Fill, but if you are, you can just drop in the new Macro and copy the settings from the old one.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Bugfix update!

Version 3.1.1 of KAK is now released. The opening post is updated with the latest version. You only need to replace KAK_v3.1.1.setting, the Fuse remains as is.

Bug fixes:
  • Luma Matte Fill could cause screen colour to reappear in transparent areas.

Rockin

Post by Rockin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:30 am

I have to extract some objects out of a white background (yes, I know!), and I'd like to use KAK because I feel it has a better potential to get a reasonable result than me endlessly fiddling with a luma keyer :)

However, screen types are only red, green or blue. What's the recommended workflow in this situation?