[Script] XML to Fusion 0.8

MilosL

[Script] XML to Fusion 0.8

Post by MilosL » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:11 am

Requirements:
- Fusion 7.7 and above (not tested with older versions)
- Python 2.7 and above (Fusion 8 expects 2.7, 3.3 or both)

Setup:
- download and install Python 2.7.10 (or 3.3.6) for your OS
- copy downloaded script to [YOUR FUSION SCRIPT DIRECTORY]/Comp - your script directory can be found under File->Preferences->Globals and...->Pathmap->Scripts
- start Fusion
- start script from Script->XML to Fusion
- follow instructions

Notes:
- supports FCP XML files up to version 5
- imports sequences or bins from projects
- compatible with xml files generated by Adobe Premiere, Apple Final Cut Pro and BMD Resolve
- effects are not evaluated, list of effects applied on clip is saved in tool comments
- transitions are handled as blend values on merge nodes

Known bugs and limitations
- time remapping is not supported
- once all composition windows in Fusion have been closed, the import does not work anymore, please restart Fusion and create new composition window
- using of non-ascii characters in filenames or directories may lead to unexpected results

Tips:
- save your preferred saver settings as default before import
- please attach xml files that do not work
- this is the first public version of the script - call it beta1 if you want - so please report bugs and improvement ideas here in forum. I heartily welcome any feedback.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tags:

giorgiokrenkel

Re: [Script] XML to Fusion 0.8

Post by giorgiokrenkel » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Hello, first thank you very much for the script. I am having some problems, i opened a comp, and tried to execute the scrip, and got all sorts of errors. Here is a screen capture:

http://postimg.org/delete/pf9rg30me/

The error happens even with an empty flow. Just open Fusion, start a new comp, and try to execute the script.

Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite (Hackintosh) - Fusion 8 Free version.

MilosL

Post by MilosL » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:06 pm

giorgiokrenkel wrote:Hello, first thank you very much for the script. I am having some problems, i opened a comp, and tried to execute the scrip, and got all sorts of errors.
Hi giorgio,
the script must be installed in /Comp subdirectory of your script path (see also installation instructions above).

kir3d

Post by kir3d » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 am

MilosL wrote:Requirements:
- copy downloaded script to [YOUR FUSION SCRIPT DIRECTORY]/Comp - your script directory can be found under File->Preferences->Globals and...->Pathmap->Scripts

For Mac OS X 10.10 default path= ~/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Scripts

But Fusion 8 Beta 2 doesn't find script in /Comp.

Also tried copy script to ~/Documents/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Scripts/Comp - the same result.
If placed script to /Utility - find and started but with errors.

MilosL

Post by MilosL » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:30 am

Hi,
just installed in default path (Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ You ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ Blackmagic Design ▸ Fusion ▸ Scripts ▸ Comp) and found - as expected - in Fusion under Scripts (not under File->Scripts !).

kir3d

Post by kir3d » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:06 am

Thank you! From menu Scripts (not File/Scripts) work!
Found both ~/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Scripts and ~/Documents/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Scripts/Comp.

tlittle

Post by tlittle » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:28 am

HOLY CRAP!!! You cannot believe how excited I was when I stumbled across this thread thanks to a Blackmagic Forum post:(http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewt ... 24&t=40782)

I saw the question about importing XML into Fusion and I laughed cynically in my head, thinking "how naive, Fusion is a blackhole which has basically no native way of connecting to any editing application in any useful way." But then I scrolled down and saw the link to this XML import script and thought, well I suppose miracles do happen! I am just now downloading and testing your script but I wanted to say in advance, thank you very much for even attempting to build this functionality. I have used the ProEDL import script (http://www.edlimporter.com/) from time to time but it requires an EDL where every clip timecode starts at 0 and that is a huge ordeal to achieve in practice on jobs unfortunately. If this XML importer can read timecode then I will eat my hat.

iMax

Post by iMax » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi,

I cannot see what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get it to work with Resolve FCPXML files. When I open the file in Fusion, I only get the message

No elements found in xml file

And in the Console:
No Sequences or Clips found in project
No bin, no sequence. Script execution aborted.

When doing some debugging, with my limited understanding of how the script works, I could only get it further, if I replace this line

main_project = root.find("./project")

with

main_project = root.find("./library/event/project")

because the project definition is not below root level in my XML file. But this only results in the next window showing me that no elements have been found.
Looking through the script, I am not sure if all the defined search paths match my XML file.
Am I missing something here, or does it need modification to work with exported FCP XML (version 1.5) files from Resolve?

Marcus

MilosL

Post by MilosL » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:33 am

tlittle wrote:" Fusion is a blackhole which has basically no native way of connecting to any editing application in any useful way.
You describe my thoughts, before I started to write the script.

iMax wrote:main_project = root.find("./library/event/project")
It is FCP X XML Format, which came with Final Cut Pro X. The script supports the "old" FCP XML format - in Resolve 12 called - for whatever reason - simply "XML Files".

iMax

Post by iMax » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Ahh, clear thank you! Works now here as well, once done correctly. ;-)

giorgiokrenkel

Post by giorgiokrenkel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:35 am

MilosL wrote:
giorgiokrenkel wrote:Hello, first thank you very much for the script. I am having some problems, i opened a comp, and tried to execute the scrip, and got all sorts of errors.
Hi giorgio,
the script must be installed in /Comp subdirectory of your script path (see also installation instructions above).

Thank you MilosL, its working now! :D

xperhz

Post by xperhz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:05 pm

hello,

I do not know if somebody reads this topic.
first of all many thanks for this script.
unfortunately I cannot find the script under Script Menu in Fusion... I have copied the folder path under Fusion's Global prefs -> path,
but it does not work. I have Fusion 8. Has anybody a tip or trick?

thanks in advance.

PS: I did a quick research, and found that Fusion did not recognize Python installed. I checked it under Fusion Console with Py2 button. Is it possible that this is a problem?
In case yes, how can / should I tell Fusion the path of the installed Python Folder?

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 am

for the python version: do you have the correct version installed? fusion needs the 64bit version of it

xperhz

Post by xperhz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:46 am

pingking wrote:for the python version: do you have the correct version installed? fusion needs the 64bit version of it
thanks for the tip, it was the problem. now it seems it is working well :)
thanks a lot

AbdelrahmanMSaid

Post by AbdelrahmanMSaid » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:44 pm

I have to say that what you have achieved here is brilliant. I am currently preparing for my first short movie, and although I have both DaVinci Resolve and Media Composer, when it comes to editing I prefer working with Premiere. On the effects side, I have After Effects and I love working with it, but I prefer working with Fusion in general. I tried the edlimporter but it didn't work well for me, especially that EDL doesn't support multiple video tracks. It seemed that the only way to get material from Premiere to Fusion would be using XML to send the sequence to Resolve, then use the Fusion Connect feature to take the material to Fusion. I haven't tried this method, but it seemed the only logical way before I stumbled into your script.

I tested it quickly and it worked really well. I even had a 50fps clip in a 25fps sequence, and the script created a TimeSpeed node directly in Fusion to get it playing right. I am really excited about this script. Thank you very much.