In light of the Coronavirus crisis, please help make sure nothing stands in the way of social distancing in the VFX industry.

This petition asks the MPAA to act accordingly:

Sign the petition on Change.org

Be safe, everyone.

[Fuse] Time Machine Modifier Fuse

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 15

Re: [Fuse] Time Machine Modifier Fuse

Post by SecondMan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:01 pm

I think that's an excellent idea.

Although the way you describe it, it's a bit limited in scope. Basically it would only be useful if you change direction or hold a frame. For example, your

[1]
[5]
[15]
[5]

would be the same as

[1]
[15]
[5]

What I would really like, is develop a sort of mini-language for the XSheet, so you could write

1 to 5
5 hold 4
10 to 20 step 2
20 to 10 skip 2

and for that I'm going to look into some string parsing, which looks really powerful in Lua.

Ultimately, I see XSheet either become a tool on its own, or I will write another Fuse (or if someone feels like doing one for the Fuse Box... ;)) to be driven by the Time Machine. The main reason being that you can't do proper XSheet based dissolves in one TimeStretcher.

For example:

set to dissolve (or interpolate) would go through 2,3,4 and 6,7,8,9 respectively instead of just dissolving between 1 and 5, and 5 and 10.

I've been through this before and solved it with two TimeStretchers. That works, but is not very elegant.

As I said, ideas keep coming... :)

Tags:

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 am

Time Machine version 1.4 is now released!

You can now retime your footage using the new Trigger mode:
TimeMachine_Trigger_Screenshot.PNG
Another great one to use in conjunction with the KKD Audio node. Based on the on/off thresholds, the footage will play back or stop. 4 different modes to determine end behaviour: when the "off: trigger value has been reached, it will either rewind your footage back to the start frame, hold it and continue, hold it then reset it, or reverse it.

So here are the changes since 1.3:

Bug fixes:
  • Default values in some controls didn't use INPID_DefaultID properly.
  • Delta mode now works as it should when Delta Scale or Delta Threshold are animated.
New features:
  • New Trigger retime mode!
  • XSheet mode now previews your XSheet with frame numbers so it's easy to see where your source frames end up in the timeline.
Other:
  • Target Start Frame default is now set to 0, because the default of 20 was confusing in modes other than Remap.
Download updated in the opening post.

Enjoy! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:31 pm

Dunn wrote:The New XSheet mode is really cool 8-)
...would be great if one could tween between the Values..like it goes:

[1] 2.3.4
[5] 6.7.8.9.10..counting up to 15
[15] 14.13.12.11..counting down to 5
[5]
.. creating a smooth animation. Maybe thats something for a new Modifier :geek: & We could then call it
The Tween Machine™ :D
You are going to LOVE the next version. ;)
Whenever that's finished...
Spoiler
Show
There's really nothing here. Just wanted to test the new spoiler tag.
Happy Halloween! :mrgreen:

Dunn

Post by Dunn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:05 am

hehe! Yeah! we got a spoiler tag! :mrgreen:

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Today I'm releasing a new version of Time Machine that I'm particularly excited about, if only for the fact that I almost fried my brain to make it work.

Version 1.5 comes with a completely new XSheet mode that allows you to write a mini-script for constructing very complex per-frame retimes very, very quickly. This is glitch heaven! Not to mention very useful. ;)
Previously, in order to create an XSheet you would have to input the values for every single frame separately. So you would have to type something like this, even for a very simple and short retime:

As of version 1.5, you're free to do the same, but the above can be written as:

1 to 5 loop 2
10 to 1
TimeMachine1.5_XSheet_Script.PNG
Great, no? :)

There are currently 7 words in the mini-script engine that you can use:

to
loop
skip
step
speed
reverse
hold

So you can do:

1 to 10
20 to 30 step 2
1 to 5 hold 4
5 hold 10 to 10 hold 5

But you can go nuts, too, and do:

1 hold 10 to 20 to 5 to 40 to 30 reverse step 2 loop 5 skip 3 speed 2 reverse to 100 hold 10

Go ahead, copy that. :)
You can also apply the loop, skip, step, speed and reverse operations to an entire mini-script. You do this by writing a new line starting with "all", and then the operation:

1 to 10
20 to 30 step 2
1 to 5 hold 4
5 hold 10 to 10 hold 5
all loop 2
all reverse

More features will follow, but this is it for this first version. Simple, yet powerful. I hope this will bring you great joy and productivity. Let me know!

Release notes of Time Machine 1.5:

Bugfixes:
  • Skip value of 1 now actually skips 1 frame, instead of no frames. Comps built with an older version of Time Machine should be adjusted by subtracting 1 from any Skip values used.
New features:
  • XSheet mini-scripting language!
  • XSheet text field size can now be adjusted interactively.

!
Note that XSheet currently does not work with negative or non-integer values.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:43 am

Happy Pi Day! :)

Finally a new version of Time Machine, introducing Switch mode:
TimeMachine1.6_Switch_Screenshot.PNG
Basically this allows you to set a list of starting points in your footage, which you then trigger by setting a keyframe that matches its place in the list (with many, many thanks to tberakis for this: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... ?f=6&t=124)

So in the above example, when you drive a TimeStretcher with Time Machine, the keyframe set to 2 will cause frame 100 of your footage to be selected at that time and continue to run from there. The nice thing about this is that it is driven ONLY by keyframes. So you don't have to worry about inbetween values if you switch from 1 to 5 to 3 to 10 or whatever else.

Also, this means you can very conveniently restart the footage from the same starting point by setting keyframe after keyframe.

Basically this turns a TimeStretcher into a very basic but fast single-sequence editor.

I hope this makes sense, forgive my brief explanation, it's very late (didn't want to miss Pi Day). Just try it out - it will make sense soon enough.

As usual, available for download in the opening post...

Ooooh yes, before I forget:

CHANGELOG (see this, BMD?)

changes in 1.6:

- added Switch mode
- updated HelpTopic (F1)
- reordering of modes in UI (putting XSheet last)
- fixed bug in After Time - Continue mode (would continue backwards in some modes)

Farmfield
Fusionista

Post by Farmfield » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:57 pm

So a smidgen off topic but looking at your promo video for this awesome plugin (...if that term is acceptable for Fuses, hehe?) and I'm wondering about your audio sync in that clip. Is there audio support at all in Fusion?

Say you wanna do something like this?

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Not off topic at all... :)

Krokodove comes with an audio node that allows for outputting values based on a PCM waveform. You would need Fusion Studio for that, of course.

That combined with Time Machine's Trigger mode should get you in the realm of what your reference shows.

Standard audio support is however sparse in Fusion, and I hope BMD will expand that in the future.

Farmfield
Fusionista

Post by Farmfield » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Oh, I missed that, have gone through quite a bit of the KD demo setups but not ran across that until you pointed it out. Tnx. :)

And yeah, it's weird, especially seeing Fusion is so fitted for doing things like motion graphics, just crazy you don't have any audio visualisation tools or a preview playback with audio...

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:40 pm

You can do a preview with audio, by adding an Audio file in a Saver it becomes available for playback. Bit strange, I know.

And it's not so weird Fusion didn't ever come with a default Audio node. There was never a version that doesn't run plugins and Krokodove became for most about as standard as the Blur node.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:34 pm

SecondMan wrote: And it's not so weird Fusion didn't ever come with a default Audio node. There was never a version that doesn't run plugins and Krokodove became for most about as standard as the Blur node.
Wasn't KKD like €1500 per seat? It might be fairly standard issue now, but it wasn't always the case.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:56 pm

I doubt it was ever that much. 500, yes, which was at a time when Fusion was 5000, so the relative cost was still minimal.

It's been Legoware for years now.

Farmfield
Fusionista

Post by Farmfield » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 am

SecondMan wrote:You can do a preview with audio, by adding an Audio file in a Saver it becomes available for playback. Bit strange, I know.

And it's not so weird Fusion didn't ever come with a default Audio node. There was never a version that doesn't run plugins and Krokodove became for most about as standard as the Blur node.
So seems I'm blind because there's an audio icon in the play bar where you can set an audio file for playback - though no support for other files than wav...

Dunn

Post by Dunn » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:36 am

Nice Update! ;)
It seems to only work with the latest version of Fusion ( didn´t get it to work on 6.4 & 7.01 :| ) ..
Anyway, still great stuff!..

.Dunn

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:04 am

See? See?!

That's why change logs are needed! God dammit BMD! :x

So possibly they added that method for scanning for keyframes after it was requested by me and possibly others, but obviously there's no way of knowing they did that, so there, now all of a sudden I have a Fuse that's not compatible with previous versions of Fusion anymore.

As soon as I touch KAK again in the future, I'm sure it's going to be the same.

Anyway, I'm grateful for them adding the feature (if that's indeed what the issue is), but seriously, BMD, large scale adoption without change logs IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

PS. glad you like it, Dunn. ;)