5 new Tutorials , Embers, Sparks, installing Nuke 2 Fusion and OCIO & ACES!

Show us your bits!

Moderator: Dunn

statixvfx

5 new Tutorials , Embers, Sparks, installing Nuke 2 Fusion and OCIO & ACES!

Post by statixvfx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:08 am

Happy Holidays Fusionistas!

I've put together some tutorials for the holidays.
These are aimed at more experienced users, its not a step by step guide but follows the processes of iterating.

Creating embers in Fu

Creating sparks/angle grinding effect

Installing Nuke2Fusion

Emitting lots of sparks from a few points

Getting started with OCIO and ACES

Have fun!

Enjoy!

Tags:

Miltos
Fusionista

Re: 5 new Tutorials , Embers, Sparks, installing Nuke 2 Fusion and OCIO & ACES!

Post by Miltos » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Fantastic tutorial additions!

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 am

Great tutorials, very helpful.

An issue though, which I should probably post as separate topic as it's not really related to the tutorials. I set up OCIO as per tutorial above. I find that converting from AlexaLogC files to rec709 using the default OCIOcolourspace node looks different from the same conversion (or at least what is as close as I can get to the same conversion) using the full OCIO config. To avoid double posting I'll start a new thread.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:58 pm

always awesome to see great fusion particle tutorials. thanks and keep them coming ;)

WilliamKaiz3r

Post by WilliamKaiz3r » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 am

hi, thanks for this !
i think there is a problem with OCIO tutorial as a blue cast come when we use OCIO to correct monitor colorspace
it's also visible on the tutorial (take a deep look in white parts) itself so i guess fusion interpret wrongly the OCIO file

statixvfx

Post by statixvfx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 am

WilliamKaiz3r wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 am
hi, thanks for this !
i think there is a problem with OCIO tutorial as a blue cast come when we use OCIO to correct monitor colorspace
it's also visible on the tutorial (take a deep look in white parts) itself so i guess fusion interpret wrongly the OCIO file
Hi William, I believe you are correct. The values the OCIO nodes return to fusion is still numerically the same in all channels, perhaps its a display bug of some sort. I'll look into it.

ChristopherNodal
Fusioneer

Post by ChristopherNodal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Hello statixvfx,

I was thinking. Since you are so well versed in OCIO and colorspaces. Would you be interested in creating a Fusion Linear Workflow Config? One that would provide a default LUT setup for the viewers and 3D viewers. You could make it available as a Config in Reactor to help make sure that even beginners won't spend a lot of time working in sRGB. Often times without knowing it.

cdwouda

Post by cdwouda » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 am

Hi there,

I've set up the OCIO env var through terminal on OSX (Mojave) but somehow I can't get OCIO with ACES to work on my mac laptop. I can also see that the env variable is created when I echo $OCIO.
Whereas on my windows PC it was a piece of cake. Now I installed opencolorio with homebrew and it says I need certain env variables... Anyone who can help me out? Thanks in advance.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:04 am

cdwouda wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 am
Hi there,

I've set up the OCIO env var through terminal on OSX (Mojave) but somehow I can't get OCIO with ACES to work on my mac laptop. I can also see that the env variable is created when I echo $OCIO.
Whereas on my windows PC it was a piece of cake. Now I installed opencolorio with homebrew and it says I need certain env variables... Anyone who can help me out? Thanks in advance.

Hi @cdwouda.

If you start Fusion from your macOS Dock or by double-clicking on the Fusion.app executable, your $HOME/.profile or $HOME/.bash_profile environment variables are not used. This is due to the fact Fusion was not started from a shell session. This is quite similar to if you run an Apple Script application it doesn't inherit the BASH shell based environment variables either.

There are several ways you can define your OCIO environment variable on macOS that will work. You can use a GUI utility, or you could use a Launch Agent file. Here is a sample template of what an OCIO Launch Agent Plist file named setenv.ACES.OCIO.plist might look like:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
		<key>Label</key>
		<string>setenv.ACES.OCIO</string>
		<key>ProgramArguments</key>
		<array>
			<string>/bin/launchctl</string>
			<string>setenv</string>
			<string>OCIO</string>
			<string>/Users/statix/Downloads/OpenColorIO-Configs-master/aces_1.0.3/config.ocio</string>
		</array>
		<key>RunAtLoad</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</plist>

You would need to edit the plist file in a programmer's text editor to customize it before you install them on your system.
A Launch Agent plist document is designed to be installed on your MacOS system using root permissions to the folder:

/Library/LaunchAgents/

When you go to install the plist files you will need to change the documents to be owned by "root", have the group name of "wheel", and have a Unix "octal" file permission setting of 644.

Code: Select all

sudo chown root /Library/LaunchAgents/setenv.ACES.OCIO.plist
sudo chgrp wheel /Library/LaunchAgents/setenv.ACES.OCIO.plist
sudo chmod 644 /Library/LaunchAgents/setenv.ACES.OCIO.plist

You can take a look at the file permissions of the Launch Agent files on your system using the following terminal command:

ls -la /Library/LaunchAgents/

cdwouda

Post by cdwouda » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 am

Andrew,

Thanks! This makes total sense.

Chris.

(Also I'd like to express my gratitude and appreciation for your work on KartaVR, impressive.)