The Unthinkable - Swedens biggest disaster/thriller movie ever

Show us your bits!

Moderator: Dunn

danell

The Unthinkable - Swedens biggest disaster/thriller movie ever

Post by danell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 am

Hi all! Just wanted to show you my latest VFX work: The Unthinkable (Swedish title: Den blomstertid nu kommer)

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

All VFX (~500 shots) are made by me and one more person. I also worked as the VFX Supervisor in pre-production and under production. Under post-production I let the supervision over to the other VFX person so I could put all my time into the shots.
We are a small production company and this is our first feature film. The budget was around $1.8m, so not big at all, but with our minds, tricks and love for this movie we made it! This movie will now have premiere on 20th June in every theater in Sweden. The Swedish Film Cinema (The cinema that almost has monopoly in Sweden) has picked this film to be the Swedish film they push the most this year. Crazy! The movie has also bin sold to a lot of other countries, even before it was done! I'm not the one that knows all the details but the countries I know are: Norway, Denmark, Germany, Schweiz, Austria, France, South Korea and Vietnam. I'm sure there are more but no specific that I know of.

I know this is a Fusion forum so I'm sorry to say that every VFX made in this film was created inside After Effects. Why AE you might ask? Well. AE is the software both me and the other VFX person have used for ~10 years (~12 years on him) and we know every in and outs how to create wonderful comps inside it, and as we were the people that were going to do the effects, we stuck with it. But now it's time for change! After a extremly big project like this made inside AE I can't wait to use those sweet sweet nodes, speedz, real 3D and everything else!

For the ones wanting, here's a small behind the scenes (more will come):

pingking
Fusionista

Re: The Unthinkable - Swedens biggest disaster/thriller movie ever

Post by pingking » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 pm

500+ shots for two persons is really an achievement! trailer and making of looking good!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:03 pm

danell wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 am
I know this is a Fusion forum so I'm sorry to say that every VFX made in this film was created inside After Effects.

Hi Danell,

This may be a Fusion forum but ultimately it's all about the people that come here and share stuff - so here's a warm welcome to you!

The work looks absolutely astonishing for such a small team. 500 shots with two people, how insane is that - and it looks very high quality, too. Congratulations, I find this personally really exciting and inspiring. I cannot wait to go see this somewhere, and what you will come up with once you get going with Fusion.

:cheer:

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 am

I look forward to seeing it, since I am enjoying my twice yearly escape to my 'home'
;)

Miltos
Fusionista

Post by Miltos » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:05 am

Congratulations on completing the film!

Looking forward to see what shots you will make with Fusion now!

danell

Post by danell » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Miltos wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:05 am
Congratulations on completing the film!

Looking forward to see what shots you will make with Fusion now!
Thanks! Right now I'm re-keying/extracting all the elements we shot for the movie in Fusion, around 500 clips with a lot of different elements. Mostly to learn Fusion but also to be able to get all these elements out there as they are too good to just have them laying on a drive :)
Keying in Fusion... I'm never going back to key in AE after this! Magicly good keys with the clean matte and delta keyer with a few tweeks!