Hello 2021!

My first published project made with Fusion: 'Liber Paradisus'

Show us your bits!

Moderator: Dunn

caffeineFX

My first published project made with Fusion: 'Liber Paradisus'

Post by caffeineFX »

Hi everyone!
I would like to share with you a promo/in-the-works version of this project I made recently, which is currently being displayed at a museum here in Italy for an Art, science and technology festival, 'Robotics'.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post online the integral, finalized version. Hope one day it will be possible.
Also, a 360-VR version of this project is currently in development.

The project was entirely made with Fusion with the exception for the Brain's tentacles/waves which were made in Houdini.

I hope you guys enjoy it and it would be really cool to read your feedback.

Let me just take advantage of this occasion to say a big Thanks to each one of you for keeping this community alive!

Salvatore

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 30

Re: My first published project made with Fusion: 'Liber Paradisus'

Post by SecondMan »

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately YouTube's compression doesn't do it justice - there is a TON of fine detail in there which gets all but destroyed. Do you have a higher res version of the material? I find it's worth doing 4K uploads to YT.

Some very interesting looking effects in there. Are you planning any kind of making of at all?

For me personally there was one thing that I kept wishing for when watching it, and that's a bit more colour besides the blue and cyan, either in composition or in time. Nice looking work overall, feel free to share more of it!

danell
Fusioneer

Post by danell »

Very impressive indeed! Would love some kind of breakdown or making-of!

caffeineFX

Post by caffeineFX »

Thanks a lot guys! I'm so glad to read your feedbacks :)

:: About Compression.
@SecondMan yes you are right, lots of details get indeed destroyed :/.
This promo version was exported from Resolve at 1440x720 h264 .mov, then YouTube did the rest.

The integral version instead is at an awkward 2880x1440 (originally set up as panoramic format for VR)... a kind of compromise for a 3K/panoramic ( my laptop barely handled that). So the final export for screen was adapted at 2K (2048x1142) to fit a regular 16:9, output as H264 .mp4. I also tried .mov/MPEG4 but the quality seems a little better in h264. However, in any export scenario I tried, I kept having artefacts/degradation of the background Gradients (even in Fusion).

All along, I worked at 2880x1440, 25 fps, 16bit float, and .Exr (pxr24) for every intermediate layer/pass, cache, and final export for editing.

Working at 16bit is probably not the best practice when you work with a laptop that really struggles for months.. I had to disk-cache pretty much everything.. and still struggling to preview even at 1/4 quality--- resulting in a "work by guess".
So I was wondering if there is any way/workflow to speed up the comp (like working globally at 8bit and lower res),, but HOW? when you have to keep your nodes at 16bit float in order to possibly preview the edits and colors at 16 bit... ? This thing really confuses me.

Also, would you guys have any tips/experience about best practices to export from DaVinci to YouTube and Vimeo?
Of course I am aware there are dedicated presets in DaVinci, but honestly I find them too comprimising for quality when it comes to uploading - and get further compression-. Maybe there is some trick/best practices playing with ..maybe variable bitrates or something else, for example ?
Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

:: About Colors.
yes @SecondMan I definitely agree. The color palette needed to respond to my client's vision.. I also would have loved to enrich the narrative and aesthetic by using also slightly warmer colors in certain areas to make some elements standout or just to guide the eyes for a better narrative.

I really hope I can find a way to post more content.. or a better version of it.
The final, integral version would be cool to share,, but my hands are tied, for now at least.
Maybe I'll think about a 'not-listed' upload on YouTube, it's risky anyway, when your client basically owns it :/

:: A making of?
WOW that would be really cool to share and discuss.
I will see what I can do in the future - time permitting, that would be my pleasure.

Thanks again and hope to read more from you.
Salvatore