Yellow Day

Show us your bits!

Moderator: Dunn

French_Fry
Fusionista

Yellow Day

Post by French_Fry » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:29 am

We’re pleased to show a project we worked on back in April called Yellowday. Some links:

Our Write-Up
Official Site
or trailer, which has some of the cg work in it:

This was a feature-length project that intertwines live-action footage with full CG animation. We delivered about 25min of full CG animation, all rendered in Redshift, and for the most part comped in Fusion. By the time animation was done and we got into rendering and comping, we had very little time left on the project. I can't remember the details because of the lack of sleep at the time, but it seems like it was around 75 shots done in 30 days..and I would say, unfortunately, I did about 90% of the Fusion work. We had a lot of additional after effects, mocha, syntheyes work also done by other artists on the team.

The story has metaphorical environments represented by "day time" and "dark night" . The dark nights were foggy and desolate, so we chose to use Fusion's volume fog tool and it was great. It was easy to setup several types of fogs and place them where we wanted with the wpp. Feedback was really fast and I was using a nvidia GTX770.

Here's an example of 3D render straight out of Redshift:

And with it's Fusion enhancement:

We also had several shots that transitioned from night to day in one sweeping motion, with huge camera pull outs. It was neat to use the volume mask, because the fog was disappearing from between the trees, as opposed to a traditional 2D mask. Here are some images of those setups.

ImageImageImageImage

Here are some random beauty shots:

Lastly, I thought it would be fun to post a flow from one the comps. This is the biggest flow I have, but it's mainly because there's a lot of duplication. This shot had a daytime enviro, a nightime enviro, and 3 fx hits with the knights armor appearing in with light and smoke and such. We were still figuring out a lot in how to render this efficiently in Redshift and how to comp efficiently in Fusion. So in hindsight, I'm sure there's a way to make this flow smaller... but at the time, it got the job done.

pingking
Fusionista

Re: Yellow Day

Post by pingking » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:15 pm

not exactly my genre and maybe i'm out of the target audience, but you did a really good job on the CG stuff.

looks great

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:28 am

Very nice breakdown, thank you for sharing!

Good to see the Volumefog tool being put to good use in particular. I tried introducing it on a very big project once and with an investment of maybe 10k or so dollars the project could have easily saved hundreds of thousands. But alas, I couldn't get past a few very vehement no-Fusion-here disciples (some of whom had never used Fusion before). Big shame because it would have been an ideal use case.

To top it off, your fog looks better than what that project ended up with. :) No disrespect to the artists that did it, though, as they did the best anyone could given the circumstances. It was one of those cases where time was such a big constraint that clever work like this can really make a difference.

Congratulations on a job well done! :)

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks guys! Yeah, this was definitely the way to go. I hear you regarding the "no Fusion disciples"...
At the time redshift was still in beta I think. It didn't have volumetric rendering ( and mental ray was not even an option because of the time it would take to render). We actually worked through some bugs with their team to get out correct wp passes to use. They were great. The Fusion setup was great and efficient for get the look I wanted and fast.
The only thing I wish I had, was a way to easily animate the evolution of the fog. I got some help from some of the guys on pigs fly, but it wasn't quite straight forward, so I didn't have time to get into it and implement it through out the shots. It seems like there should be an easier way..maybe have eyeon could do some stuff under the hood where you could enable "animate" and a rate/speed slider or something. I guess it's something I could create a custom tool for, based on what Chad and others shared ...but it would take me a while. I'm not the best in creating stuff in code...if it goes beyond simple expressions I tend to get lost. :)

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 am

Recently we've been looking at adding OpenVDB I/O and processing to Fusion. This would let you make a fog library using something like Houdini or FumeFX or similar and just pull those directly into Fusion for rendering. Or your 3D artist could simulate stuff using the 3D assets they have but leave the rendering to the compositors.

robocop
Fusioneer

Post by robocop » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:32 am

Thanx for sharing French_Fry!
Very interesting!

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 am

Chad wrote:Recently we've been looking at adding OpenVDB I/O and processing to Fusion. This would let you make a fog library using something like Houdini or FumeFX or similar and just pull those directly into Fusion for rendering. Or your 3D artist could simulate stuff using the 3D assets they have but leave the rendering to the compositors.
That sounds really interesting actually! If the rendering was faster, then it would make sense to do it in comp, where you could parameters, colors, density, gradients, etc... ( It would actually make sense for fusion to have some of those simulation algorithms itself, so you could do it all in comp, that's another topic)
So, how would you handle occlusion within the smoke/fog/ if you're rendering in Fusion. Would the wpp volume mask be enough? Would you need to have some sort of exr2 implementation in Fusion for that?
Also, to be a little more inquisitive, who is "we"? :)

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:23 am

Even if the rendering weren't faster, it would be better to render in the comp so you can see context.

The simulation in comp would be cool, but then you need all the data from the 3D scene in your comp, not just matte meshes.

Occlusion for the VolumeFog in Fusion is an unanswered question. I'm yet to see a tutorial on how you do that. I think it assumes binary transparency, which I don't think works all that well. Krakatoa (running in Fusion) at least has the ability to handle motion blur, depth of field, transparent meshes, etc. Though currently Krakatoa only does one level of occlusion testing. To get a really generalized rendering solution either VolumeFog would have to be extended (the OCL code is there to look at) or you'd need to write your own. OpenVDB includes rendering code, but I haven't tested it to see if it's any good. Might just be for previews. EXR2 isn't needed, a more generalized raymarcher is needed.

Mirantosh

Post by Mirantosh » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:28 am

Awesome!!!

Axel Mertes

Post by Axel Mertes » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 am

Cool stuff, my children would surely love it.

Very nice highlighting and colors. I would really love to see it!

Cheers,
Axel

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:53 am

Axel Mertes wrote:Cool stuff, my children would surely love it.

Very nice highlighting and colors. I would really love to see it!

Cheers,
Axel
Thanks! It's definitely a family movie...maybe not very young children...I'd say 7-14. It's a fictional story that takes place in a true setting: Camp Grace in Alabama (USA), a camp that brings in children who suffer from abuse, that are terminally ill, or handicapped. It's amazing what they do for the kids there.

As far as colors, Tim Crowson was the lead lighting and shading on the project. He has some additional info and images here if anyone is interested.
http://www.timcrowson.com/yellowday/

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:49 am

We got permission to show a highlight reel of some of our cg shots on Yellowday. I thought it might be more interesting than the still frames, especially for showing the fog and big volume transition wipes. :)

Mistro

Post by Mistro » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:17 am

Great work! Thanks for sharing.
WPP in Fusion really got me interested among other things. I grew up painting landscapes and environments so I look forward to doing some of these effects in my CG landscapes.

I never heard of Redshift until I saw this thread. Was the animation rendered in it?

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:47 am

Yeah, all the cg was rendered in Redshift. TI's a pretty amazing renderer. We were wanting to move away from Mental ray, and had considered Arnold or Vray ( still in beat for Softimage at the time...) , but when Redshift came along, we went with it. We actually worked through a lot of its early development in the alpha stages. It seemed so promising in its alpha stage that we haven't looked at any other renderer since. :)

Mistro

Post by Mistro » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Bummer.....I didn't realize it wasn't a standalone program. I don't own Softimage or Maya. I will keep an eye on development and see if they release a standalone version or one that supports the 3D packages I have access to. (Sketchup Pro, Blender)