Any alternative to hos_SplitEXR?

Moderator: AndrewHazelden

Hamp

Re: Any alternative to hos_SplitEXR?

Post by Hamp » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:16 am

Thanks for the info - let's hope we get some answers :)

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:56 pm

besides the general problems with tool scripts:

if i change line 195 to:

Code: Select all

myLoader = comp:Loader({Clip = exrFileName})
it works in Fu9

ISOTRON
Fusioneer

Post by ISOTRON » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:53 am

i need to remove all about "myscriptprefs" , then it works.... dont know what it is for....

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm

the script tries to save some user preferences in a specifc folder. you need to create that folder and i dont know if it works on MacOS and Linux

it tries to help you the save the settings you applied to speed up the second time use

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 pm

I took some time and updated hos_SplitEXR to work with Fusion 9.0.1:

Download
hos_SplitEXR_fu9.lua
v1.7.1 Unofficial Update Release Notes
AndrewHazelden wrote: Updated the script to have cross-platform Fusion 8.2.1 + Fusion 9.0.1 support. This revised version of the hos_SplitEXR script will not work in Fusion 7 anymore.

The script can now be installed as either a Fusion Comp script (Scripts:/Comp/) that is accessible using the main Fusion menubar's Script > hos_SplitEXR menu item, or as a Fusion tool script (Scripts:/tool) and accessed by right clicking on a Loader node in the flow area and then selecting the Script > hos_SplitEXR contextual menu item.

Improved the Lua script comments to make the program flow easier to understand for new pipeline TDs who need to customize this script in the future.

Improved the error handling and added more verbosity to the error messages.

Changed the Fusion preference writing path to use the user preference profile folder since the applications folder is usually write locked for non super-users.

Updated the "myLoader = Loader({Clip = exrFileName})" line to use the comp.Loader() prefix to avoid a tool script based error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndrewHazelden on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:33 am

Andrew, maybe it's a good idea to rename the file to reflect its compatibility?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 am

ShadowMaker SdR wrote:Andrew, maybe it's a good idea to rename the file to reflect its compatibility?
Done. I renamed the revised script to "hos_SplitEXR_fu9.lua". :)

To be honest though I kind of suspect anyone still using Fusion 6.4 or 7 has locked their Windows XP - Windows 7 system in time and turned off all updates from the outside world. Those classic Fusion version using people are also the least likely to be hunting in a WSL "Any alternative to hos_SplitEXR?" thread.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 am

Fair enough. But still, clarity above all in my opinion! :-)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:15 am

Hi ShadowMaker SdR.
ShadowMaker SdR wrote:Fair enough. But still, clarity above all in my opinion! :-)
I like the idea behind that sentiment but have you looked at the code in the script? (Original script edition if you want to be precise.) :shock:

I truly think you would not have used that last sentence if you did. Lol. :lol:

I went through and heavily annotated the script with comments for the parts I could decode and understand so future generations would have more idea what was going on inside.

The "simple" act of changing the Lua script filename on disk like you suggested actually modifies how the script works internally for example and will make the old preference files not be read anymore since a new filename is automatically generated. Here is my decoded and commented section from the updated script that explains how the SplitEXR preference file name is derived from the current Lua script name.

Everytime you rename the script you get a new preference file. I also added Console printing messages that indicate where the preference file is being read/written from in the update.

Code: Select all

-- Read the current Lua script name
_scriptname = bmd.split(debug.getinfo(1).source, [[/]])

-- First "debug.getinfo(1).source" returns a value like:
-- @/Users/<Your User Account>/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Scripts/Comp/hos_SplitEXR.lua

-- Then the split function splits the filepath apart at the separator slashes into one table entry per folder like:
-- table: 0x06fe2d50
-- 1 = @
-- 2 = Users
-- 3 = <Your User Account>
-- 4 = Library
-- 5 = Application Support
-- 6 = Blackmagic Design
-- 7 = Fusion
-- 8 = Scripts
-- 9 = Comp
-- 10 = hos_SplitEXR.lua

-- Adds the "hos_SplitEXR.lua" filename to the _scriptname variable
local _scriptname = _scriptname[table.getn(_scriptname)]

-- Build the final preference filename string
local prefname = _scriptname .. ".ScriptPrefs"
cpath = comp:MapPath("Profiles:/")
local cfg = cpath .. prefname
-- The cfg filename works out to: "Profiles:/hos_SplitEXR.lua.ScriptPrefs"

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:54 am

Great work, Andrew - thanks!

But as regards your comment -

"To be honest though I kind of suspect anyone still using Fusion 6.4 or 7 has locked their Windows XP - Windows 7 system in time and turned off all updates from the outside world. Those classic Fusion version using people are also the least likely to be hunting in a WSL "Any alternative to hos_SplitEXR?" thread."

I respectfully beg to differ. I've been using 7.7.1 on win 10 machines (complete with Msoft's forced updates) for a year and a half on a project that's only now finishing, and uses exr files extensively. I tested fu8 early on and for all sorts of reasons (scripting issues, general instability, OpenCl crashes etc) didn't dare put it into production. The same certainly applied even more so to 9.0.0, which I assume is why BMD rushed to get 9.0.1 out.

Don't get me wrong, the port to multiplatform was an enormous amount of work (and a very good thing), to say nothing of all the added features in 9.0, so these issues are not at all unexected. And although I'm currently testing 9.0.1 (which already seems miles better than 9 or 9.0) I'm not yet ready to trust it on a real production with impatient clients, deadlines and the rest. So I suspect I'll have 7.7.1 on my system for some time still, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't be surprised to find I'm not alone.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:35 am

Hi JPDoc.

Thanks for your reply.
JPDoc wrote:And although I'm currently testing 9.0.1 (which already seems miles better than 9 or 9.0) I'm not yet ready to trust it on a real production with impatient clients, deadlines and the rest. So I suspect I'll have 7.7.1 on my system for some time still, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't be surprised to find I'm not alone.
IMHO I see Fu 8/9 users who are happy(ish) and regularly use the new Fusion versions for production use "warts and all" as being the artists primarily running Fu on Linux/Mac who don't have any other version of Fusion they would want to use on their systems.

The legacy Fusion 6 or 7 on Windows users tend to want to see the same stability and reliability they always had in the earlier Fusion releases before they would trust/allow themselves to be pulled into the new present day versions.

So. Saying it again, but with the upmost respect, I don't think a classic hos_SplitEXR user on Fu 6 or 7 would be hunting for updates for their existing (and currently installed) Fusion scripts and 3rd party fuses/macros/tools/etc... if they are holding their systems together with bailing wire and actively avoiding newer Fu releases. Lol. :D

As an upside, Fu 7 vs Fu 8/9 use a different Fusion user prefs / scripts folder of either the Pubic Users Document folder vs a %appdata% location so the different Fusion Lua script versions don't clash on that front.

The MatteControl node input changes (especially when placed inside MacroOperator/GroupOperator nodes) and several other revisions in Fusion also make it harder to bring complex Fu 9 comp files back into Fu 7 without some dataloss so the different versions are acting more as islands now.

JPDoc, how are you able to use Fu 9 in your tests without having working (accelerated) OpenCL support that doesn't crash when you go to the OpenCL Prefs window? You've likely got one or multiple NVIDIA GPUs in your Win 10 PC. Mac users are pretty used to having little to no GPU based acceleration so they wouldn't feel the pain of this issue as badly.

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:03 am

Thanks for the info!

I'm currently testing (when I get time) on win 10 del precison M6800 laptop with a QuadroK3100m using driver 382.16. I just checked and it doesn't crash on 9.0.1 when I open the OpenCL prefs, and open CL acceleration seems to work, at least on the defocus node, which is about as far as I've got. The next set of tests will be on a win 10 i7-6700K workstation with dual Quadro M4000s and we'll see how it goes.

RBemendo
Fusioneer

Post by RBemendo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks Andrew for updating the script!!

I'm also a 7.7.1 user and use it extensively in a team production environment daily. Some of the scripts I rely on in 7.7.1 work flawlessly and not having experience in updating scripts, it's caused me to not jump on board FU8 or FU9 yet. With more discussion happening on both here and the blackmagic forums I'm hopeful I can make the switch to FU9 for production as it sounds like there's been a lot of updates including 3rd party scripts etc...

What's interesting to me in software forums, we usually only hear about the stuff that's broken, so when I'm going through the forums and see stuff isn't working or bugs are found in the latest versions of FU, I shy away from them, because everything is still working well in 7.7.1.

But, Andrew with comments like your's it makes me a little less hesitant to move into FU9.

Thanks again. Cheers.

RBemendo
Fusioneer

Post by RBemendo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 am

Default installation of Fusion 9.0.1 -
- placed hos_SplitEXR_fu9.lua in : C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Scripts\Tool

i'm getting this error in the console
hos_SplitEXR_fu9.lua:114: attempt to index global 'file' (a nil Value)

not sure how to make the script run.
Any thing I'm doing wrong?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:07 pm

RBemendo wrote:Default installation of Fusion 9.0.1 -
- placed hos_SplitEXR_fu9.lua in : C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Scripts\Tool

i'm getting this error in the console
hos_SplitEXR_fu9.lua:114: attempt to index global 'file' (a nil Value)

not sure how to make the script run.
Any thing I'm doing wrong?
Hi RBemendo.

Thanks for letting me know. I will take a look at the issue tonight and report back with a solution.