Getting started with Reactor

Moderator: SecondMan

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 3

Re: Getting started with Reactor

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 am

Try shift+space as the hotkey to instantly open that Add Tool window if you are on Mac or Linux and using Fusion 9.

Tags:

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 am

Woops. Excuse me for that one. Shift-Space is what I meant. I even tried the shortcut as I was typing. Sleep deprivation is quite the reality altering drug :)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:30 am

SecondMan wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 am
Woops. Excuse me for that one. Shift-Space is what I meant. I even tried the shortcut as I was typing. Sleep deprivation is quite the reality altering drug :)
I know what you mean on both counts. :)

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am

Ahh! That one I knew about . . . ta again.

As regards the cryptomatte issue, probably no help at all but I just noticed another thread that seems to be dealing with a similar problem -

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1027&start=150

see last couple of entries.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am

C:\Users\username\Downloads\Reactor-Installer.lua:1: unexpected symbol near '<'

i get an error installing?
anybody know what this might be/

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:35 pm

There isn't a < in the first line of the Installer script - did your download go wrong?

RBemendo
Fusioneer

Post by RBemendo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Awesome work guys!! This is amazing!

Do you take requests to add to the repository? Still getting through all the documentation for it and wanted to say thanks first and foremost!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1798

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 am

Just wondering UI-wise: are the checkboxes in front of the name supposed to do anything? Or are they only there to show whether the Atom has been installed?
Because I keep trying to check the boxes, so I can do a multi-Atom install. Does that description make sense?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Viewing Only the Installed Reactor Packages

Post by AndrewHazelden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:34 am

ShadowMaker SdR wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 am
Just wondering UI-wise: are the checkboxes in front of the name supposed to do anything? Or are they only there to show whether the Atom has been installed?

Because I keep trying to check the boxes, so I can do a multi-Atom install. Does that description make sense?
The checkboxes are there to show you visually what has been installed. That decision was simply making the best use of the GUI controls that are accessible in Fusion 9's new UI Manager system from a Lua script.

Here is an example of how you can switch the combo control menu at the top left of the Reactor window from "All" to "Installed". This "Installed" option will show you a quick listing of just the Reactor packages you have actively loaded on your system.

You will see if you scroll down in this "Installed" view layout, that only packages with a checkbox enabled in the Name heading are shown in the view. :)
Reactor Installed Atoms.gif (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1563 times
What's Next?

Adding new features like multi-selections for installations are something that would be nice to add in a future Reactor update.

Right now getting new content into Reactor, along with the adding old VFXPedia fuses/scripts/macro assets, and revising the classic Eyeon Fusion 6.4-7 era scripts to work in Fusion 9 is the main focus for my time on this project. :wip:

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Tips on Adding Content to Reactor

Post by AndrewHazelden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:57 am

RBemendo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 pm
Awesome work guys!! This is amazing!

Do you take requests to add to the repository? Still getting through all the documentation for it and wanted to say thanks first and foremost!
Hi Ryan.

Yes. User generated content can be added to Reactor.

You can read over a description of the Atom package format here. You can also learn how the Reactor "Atomizer" GUI allows you to visually create an atom package. You can access Atomizer using the Reactor > Advanced > Atomizer menu item.

Once you have bundled your content into an atom package, you can zip it and submit it using the Reactor Submissions forum section section. If you run into any issues during this process, we are happy to help guide you through the stages. :)

The Submissions Guidelines section is being expanded on over time as user feedback indicates what topics and best practices need more clarification and details when creating a new atom.

We want to make it as seamless and satisfying of an experience for Fusion users to contribute their own resources to Reactor and I hope the Atomizer tool makes this process equally accessible to artistic and technical minded users alike.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 am

andromeda_girl wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am
C:\Users\username\Downloads\Reactor-Installer.lua:1: unexpected symbol near '<'

i get an error installing?
anybody know what this might be/
Hi andromeda_girl.

Can you open that downloaded file in a text editor like Notepad++, wordpad, etc? Then take a screenshot of that document, scale it down to about 1024px resolution, and then post in on this thread. Thanks. :)

With the information you have given, my guess is that your web-browser was used to save the Reactor-Installer.lua not as a plain text file but as as HTML document with XML/HTML <> style tags in it. If the file was not saved to disk as a plain text format Lua script it couldn't be run in Fusion.

The most likely way a "<" character would exist is if the file is HTML/XML IMHO.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 am

Adding new features like multi-selections for installations are something that would be nice to add in a future Reactor update.
I agree that this would be cool. I'm just saying that - as a user - I was confused to what it was supposed to do.
Whether you're in Windows Explorer, Dropbox or whatever, the paradigm is: if there's a checkbox, then I can check it, to perform an action to the checked items.
Especially with a big button below that says 'update' or 'install' that's what I'm expecting.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:57 am

it's fine. there was a stupid mistake made on my machine at work. reactor installed.
:)
fusion needs to being back the video game. it was a huge loss when that feature went away.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Stress Reducer for Reactor

Post by AndrewHazelden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:11 am

andromeda_girl wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:57 am
it's fine. there was a stupid mistake made on my machine at work. reactor installed.
:)
fusion needs to being back the video game. it was a huge loss when that feature went away.
Hi andromeda_girl.

I've actually been working on a "Stress Reducer" remake for some time to compliment the other Fusion classic Easter Eggs in Reactor.

I have been doing the development work in the background slowly since September 2017 but that specific "Stress Reducer" Easter Egg can only be shipped to end Reactor users once I finish getting a few new Reactor atoms made to package up and automate the seamless Linux/Mac/Windows installation of some supporting "Lua Module" libraries for Fusion like LuaSDL.

These libraries would allow for fluid Arkanoid style game play with fast moving graphics while your background renders are happening uninterrupted. Something that is obviously essential to all professional film compositing workflows IMHO. :)

This "Stress Reducer" atom package will be visible in the Reactor "Fun" category when it eventually ships out.