Resolve Scripting Essentials

pixelstuff

Re: Resolve Scripting Essentials

Post by pixelstuff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:48 pm

bns wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 pm
post beta, fu:CreateFloatingView() fails silently

NewImageView is the way to go (with persistence after page switch !)
  1. fu:NewImageView()
Both of these script variations don't seem to work or in reactor, are they being disabled from a paid version of resolve?

Greg Bovine
Double M

Post by Greg Bovine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:44 am

pixelstuff wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:48 pm
Both of these script variations don't seem to work or in reactor, are they being disabled from a paid version of resolve?

Blackmagic appears to have depreciated those two Lua based floating window creation functions slowly in the time between the first Resolve 15.0 public beta and Resolve 15.2. I don't know if they will come back in the future or not. :( Only Resolve's product manager, @Peter Chamberlain can answer if users will get that functionality back in time.

From my view of things, your options to have extra preview windows is to roll back to an earlier Resolve 15 build, buy a video output device like a BMD Decklink card to use for realtime hardware-based video monitoring output in Resolve, ...or you could simply switch over to using the full-featured and very high-quality Fusion Standalone 9 software which is a product aimed at VFX compositors.

If you are thinking of buying a copy of Resolve 15 Studio in the next year, you could buy a Fusion Studio 9 dongle from B&H Photo instead. Then you would have access to the uncompromised Fusion Studio compositing environment, while still having access to a copy of Resolve Studio with its Fusion page provisioned from the same Fusion Standalone dongle.

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 am

Thanks you for all of the information, I appreciate how helpful everyone is on here. unfortunately the only way I can go full screen, with a “paid” version is remove a GPU from my pc and render 25% slower in other apps. Which won’t be an option and potentially a deal breaker for me using fusion in resolve.

If I was to buy another monitor and extra hardware to preview some simple motion graphics which I have looked at as an option I don’t have any more pcie slots or thunderbolt on my motherboard so I think the best I could do is usb “HD” which is half the resolution I’m working on now.

I would pay Blackmagic extra on top of the studio licence just to not remove features that are already there.

I do think the least they could do is enable Crtl+F in the Fusion page, just so I can see what I’m working on, jumping to the edit page with page delay is painful. I’m open to suggestions, maybe I have missed something, or any other solutions possibly?

Greg Bovine
Double M

Post by Greg Bovine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:03 am

pixelstuff wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 am
I’m open to suggestions, maybe I have missed something, or any other solutions possibly?
This WSL thread has a video that shows how to adjust the Resolve Fusion page view layout to maximize the viewer window, or the nodes view work area:

Resolve Studio 15 Fusion Page - View Layouts

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks that does help gain a little bit more space :)

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:04 am

I have noticed that the button background color doesn't work in Resolve when .lua scripting the ui:Button

ui:Button{ID = 'SetBG', Text = 'SET BG',BackgroundColor = { R = 35/255 , G = 31/255, B = 32/255}},

This works fine in Fusion 9, but is this a limitation of the Resolve GUI, or referenced with different syntax in Resolve?

Its mainly to create responsive background colors for the .png transparent buttons but also would be needed for live color swatches that would change. I had a look in the Reactor scripts library but couldn't find a similar example.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:03 am

pixelstuff wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:04 am
This works fine in Fusion 9, but is this a limitation of the Resolve GUI, or referenced with different syntax in Resolve?

Would it be fine if I made a joke about the official Resolve 15.2/Fusion 9 scripting documentation and its coverage of UI Manager, .fu files, events, and actions? :D

UI-Manager-Documentation.setting
Added in 46 minutes 14 seconds:
pixelstuff wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:04 am
Its mainly to create responsive background colors for the .png transparent buttons but also would be needed for live color swatches that would change. I had a look in the Reactor scripts library but couldn't find a similar example.

You can take a look at the WSL UI Manager examples script "ColorPicker.lua" and "Color Changer.py" for the code to create a native color swatch/color picker. Alternatively, the HTML rendering capacity of a TextEdit UI element could be used to act as a live updating color swatch region.

If your buttons are going to have fixed colors on them, you could use an approach that places a transparent PNG image as the full button label like this:

Icon Colored Button.lua
setbackground.png

This results in the following GUI in Resolve and Fusion Standalone:
resolve colored icon button.png
fusion colored icon button.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:09 am

Interesting .setting File....sends Fusion straight into Guru Meditation mode...:-)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 am

SirEdric wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:09 am
Interesting .setting File....sends Fusion straight into Guru Meditation mode...:-)
I'm embarrassed to have to say I was too young to be an Amiga user when they first hit the computing scene... so I had to look up "Guru Meditation mode" to get the joke. :)

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 am

No wuckers...:-)
But seriously...when dropping the .setting into Fusion it stalls to a halt.
(even when not trying to view the Group...)
Only chance is to kill it...

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 am

SirEdric wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 am
No wuckers...:-)
But seriously...when dropping the .setting into Fusion it stalls to a halt.
(even when not trying to view the Group...)
Only chance is to kill it...
That's strange. It is a 100% vector curve based macro. It was created and works fine in Fusion 9.0.2 on macOS.

media offline macro.png

This image shows what the results would be if you loaded the UI-Manager-Documentation.setting macro into your viewer/tools UI:

resolve-media-offline.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 am

Strange indeed...tried it 5 times already, Fusion just crawls down...
Maybe we could go with a jpg?...:-)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:58 am

SirEdric wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 am
Strange indeed...tried it 5 times already, Fusion just crawls down...
Maybe we could go with a jpg?...:-)
Maybe it is OpenCL related? On my systems, it all works fine (in Fusion Standalone and Resolve 15.2). In Fusion Standalone I have all the newage Fusion GPU acceleration stuff permanently off.

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Really useful, I will play with some of those color options, I didn't think about html.

Another thing I came across was you need to be careful with the UI size between Fusion 9 and Resolve, the MaximumSize and MinimumSize I found really useful from your .lua file so that I can pack the UI smaller. There is a sweet spot between the 2 apps so that the numbers are showing on both. I didn't try changing the font size but probably good to test first on both before building too much.

MaximumSize = {60,20},MinimumSize = {60,20}, Maximum = 255

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm

pixelstuff wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm
Really useful, I will play with some of those color options, I didn't think about html.

Another thing I came across was you need to be careful with the UI size between Fusion 9 and Resolve, the MaximumSize and MinimumSize I found really useful from your .lua file so that I can pack the UI smaller. There is a sweet spot between the 2 apps so that the numbers are showing on both. I didn't try changing the font size but probably good to test first on both before building too much.

MaximumSize = {60,20},MinimumSize = {60,20}, Maximum = 255
When making resizable GUIs for Fusion Standalone and Resolve, I find that I tend to spend a lot of time tinkering with weight values per UI element, margins, and adding a bit of H/V Gap spacing to shift things around a bit. To me it is worth while.