Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Fix the single frame import drag&drop function.

Moderator: Chad

theotheo
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Fix the single frame import drag&drop function.

Post by theotheo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:13 am

Click select, drag, press shift, drag, wait for ui to focus, release mouse, release shift. 5/6 times I cant get it to work on single frames. Even if I follow the same procedure every time. Having no visual cue also sucks.

On mac and linux 9 out of 10 times I STILL just load the entire sequence instead of a single frame. This has been a proper pain in the butt since I started using fusion.

Suggestions :

* Default to load single selected frame (if you selected a single frame)
* Select entire frame range to import the entire frame range.
* Visual cue that you are indeed just importing a single frame (multi image mouse cursor ?)

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Re: Fix the single frame import drag&drop function.

Post by SirEdric » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:19 pm

That's strange.
It works for me 11/10 times ever since...
Maybe you need a new mouse with de-clicked buttons....:-)
(Sorry, I know that that's no solution at all, but I never had issues like that ever....)
But then again, I'm using Windows....

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Post by Kristof » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:23 pm

Sometimes I swap SHIFT for CTRL and I have to remind myself. So I don't mind the suggestions as they would make it more clear for any user, noob or veteran.

thibaud
Fusioneer

Post by thibaud » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Have to agree that it's totally counter intuitive to import a sequence when you drag a single frame... to the point that it should be considered a bug

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:38 pm

So you have 10+ folders, each containing a sequence (Diffuse, Metal, Rough, AO,......) of your render.
You just drag-select all those folders, drag them into Fusion and all your sequences are nicely set up.
You drag a single file from a folder that contains a sequence and Fusion brings that sequence in quite nicely.
You want a *single* file from a sequence? Fine. Hold Shift and drag that sucker in.
For a systems that (at least for 99% of all time) relies on image sequences of one sort or the other, I find this highly intuitive.
Much more intuitive than having to 'import sequence' or click a checkbox 'this is an image sequence'.

thibaud
Fusioneer

Post by thibaud » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Dragging 10+ folder should definitively handle the content of that 10 folder in a smart and predictive way.
Dragging a single (I mean if It takes times and effort to select that single file) resulting in a bunch of other files (that may even not be part of a sequence) being loaded in, is wrong.
I understand that you like it the way it is... but that doesn't make it any less wrong.
Ui convention do exist and we rely on them.

danell
Fusioneer

Post by danell » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:39 am

I would think like this. You want to import one image, drag one image. You want to import multiple images, select them and drag them in but what if you want to import an image sequence then as it would be most of the time. Select all images? But what then happens if you want to import multiple images as induvidual images like before? Ok, shold down shift. And just to not confuse anyone, make the user always hold down shift to import images as one images, even if you're draging in only one.

Having different outcomes depending on what you're doing (dragine one or multiple images) I would say is bad ux. It's better to just go one one way for all the ways.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:10 am

danell wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:39 am
Ok, shold down shift. And just to not confuse anyone, make the user always hold down shift to import images as one images, even if you're draging in only one.
And that's exactly how it works in Fusion...:-)

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Post by intelligent machine » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:04 am

I've experienced what the @theotheo described on the macOS version.
I think it's a latency issue. If you drag and drop with the shift key down but you do it too quickly then sometimes it doesn't work.
I've had better results by dragging the file over the fusion window and waiting for it to focus and then pressing and holding the shift key.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 am

Hmmmm.....interesting.
Now that I think about it I had something similar on Windows a few times as well.
But that was, when I was dragging the file in Explorer in such a bad way, that the mouse cursor hit (disconnected) Network drives.
The entire process then froze until those drives had spun up...

JPDoc
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by JPDoc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:00 am

Both theotheo and I have been moaning about the painful loader (and saver) stuff for years - see
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2194
and
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=607
and
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=942
etc.
Seems to fall on deaf ears though . . .

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 28

Post by SecondMan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:32 am

Hmmmm... I'm going to side with Eric on this one. Fusion works primarily with image sequences, and I would hate the default drag-drop behaviour of single frames to change. Also what about selecting 5 sequentially numbered (still) images? Would that come in as 5 separate Loaders, or one with a 5 frame sequence? What about a sequence with missing frames? Having a specific gesture or key combo lets you command right there and then what happens with it.
thibaud wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:56 pm
Dragging a single (I mean if It takes times and effort to select that single file) resulting in a bunch of other files (that may even not be part of a sequence) being loaded in, is wrong.
There's no such thing as absolute rights and wrongs. There are conventions, and they are variable. Like language, and this is one. But that doesn't mean you can't feel strongly about something, of course :)

So maybe it could be a configurable setting. Would be good to have one for the file requester as well, where "Gather Sequences" could influence how selections are being ingested. I do get Theo's point and of all his suggestions I'd like the third one please.

thibaud
Fusioneer

Post by thibaud » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:53 am

Except that this isn't a variation, it's just ignoring the basics.
as an example here is something that would not be ignoring conventions:
drag a single frame > one single frame loader.
drag several frames > several loaders.
drag single frame + modifier ctrl key > instructs the host you want extra control on this > ie load sequence or present a modal with extra options

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Post by intelligent machine » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:12 am

^ drag a folder, get loaders for every sequence within (limit recursion depth so you can’t drag in an entire project drive but maybe a few levels deep)

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 19

Post by Midgardsormr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:21 am

As SecondMan pointed out, in 99%+ of cases, a Fusion artist is working with sequences. That should remain the default assumption. Pulling a single frame out of a folder full of numbered images is unusual, and it should therefore be the behavior that requires an override.