Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Cryptomatte crash in Fusion Studio 17

Moderator: Chad

ivanmalek

Cryptomatte crash in Fusion Studio 17

Post by ivanmalek »

Fusion version:
17.1, build 43

OS and version:
windows 10 64 bit

Additional relevant system info:
Cryptomatte plugin version 1.26

Description of the bug:
Cryptomatte rendered in Redshift for Solaris crashes fusion after moving selection pivot in viewport

Severity (Trivial, Minor, Major, Critical)
Critical

Steps to reproduce:
+files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgs3269e79fd ... BS5Ba?dl=0
+from the supplied files, drag and drop "Crypto_self.exr" into Fusion (by default, it has an incorrect aspect ratio - this is a confirmed redshift bug, but can be corrected in fusion by setting the pixel aspect setting in the Loader node to Default)
+connect a Cryptomatte node to the Loader and make it visible in one of the viewports
+move the selector pivot to the upper right corner, as soon as the pivot comes over the circle in the corner, Fusion crashes

Please, if possible, provide a Fusion setup to help demonstrate the behaviour, either as an attachment or between [code] tags:

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Re: Cryptomatte crash in Fusion Studio 17

Post by Kristof »

Thanks for supplying the files. I get the crash too and I think I know why this happens: it is related to the wonky pixel aspect ratio.

Even though you set it by hand to correct it, cryptomatte doesn't take that into account as it will access the image data directly (it will only take the filepath coming in) and isn't aware of the override on pixel aspect. It thus tries to sample a pixel that is out of bounds and that will result in an instant crash (APrx mode would trigger it too but that's covered now).

I'll bring it to Cedric's attention. But I'm not sure if that's actually something that needs fixing on our end though.

ivanmalek

Post by ivanmalek »

Hi Kristof,
thanks for the quick reply. Over at Redshift, they told me, that the aspect ratio issue should be fixed in the next version, I'll just have to wait until then and give it a try then.

Cheers,
Ivan

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof »

Maybe not as I think that dealing with proxies and pixel aspect ratios can be dealt with in another, more optimal? and robust? way; something cedric still needs to explore. And that might fix it too. Maybe it wont.

Real interesting case! :)

ivanmalek

Post by ivanmalek »

Hi Kristof,

today, Redshift published a new version, where the bug that caused the Cryptomatte to have a wrong aspect ratio seems to be fixed, but the crash in Fusion, when moving the selection pivot near the corner still persists.
I've uploaded a new set of renders, that were rendered using Redshift 3.0.45 and import into Fusion with the correct aspect ratio: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yzqzumfzxr51 ... yLz_a?dl=0

Cheers,
Ivan

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof »

Hi Ivan,

Thanks, will have a look later today and keep you posted.

Kristof.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof »

Hello again Ivan,

I tried decrypting the render you shared and no crash on my system. I'm running the fresh v1.4.0 release:

http://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... 427#p37679

I also tried placing the matte locator outside of the canvas and clicking on add, just to see make sure things are working as expected. No crash.

Could you try installing that version, as we're out of beta right now.

Thanks again,

Kristof

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof »

Fine in 17.1 too.

ivanmalek

Post by ivanmalek »

Hi Kristof, thanks for checking, I was running version 1.26, upgrading to 1.4 fixed the issue for me as well, sorry for bothering you with the old version problem.

Cheers,
Ivan

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof »

Okay, no problem. Happy it works now.