Post by SirEdric » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:53 am

Just install Reactor from this link viewtopic.php?t=2159
and off you fly...:-)

Tags:

remoz

Re: Psyop's Cryptomatte In Fusion

Post by remoz » Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 am

Multi Sub Object Material:
confused... is the latest Crypto supporting the Multi Sub Object Material in 3dsmax?

just doesn't seem to work... :(

nomojosh

Post by nomojosh » Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am

SecondMan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 pm
Have you tried installing Cryptomatte from Reactor?
Sorry to hijack this, but I've installed from Reactor but I'm struggling to get it to work. It doesn't seem to have copied any files (snooping in the Roaming/App Data/.. folder on Windows)

...ion\Reactor\Deploy\Modules\Lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua:335: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...ion\Reactor\Deploy\Modules\Lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua:335: in function 'get_manifest_string'
...ion\Reactor\Deploy\Modules\Lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua:362: in function 'parse_manifest'
...esign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Matte\cryptomatte.fuse:461: in function <...esign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Matte\cryptomatte.fuse:449>
Cryptomatte1 failed at time 23

any idea?

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Post by SecondMan » Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm

What version of Fusion/Resolve are you using?

What are the steps you're taking to get those messages in the Console?

nomojosh

Post by nomojosh » Fri May 10, 2019 1:20 am

SecondMan wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm
What version of Fusion/Resolve are you using?

What are the steps you're taking to get those messages in the Console?
Sorry, I'm running Fusion 9.0.2 Build 15.
To get the error, I'm simply piping in my render pass (multi EXR from Octane) and then the error comes up along with a red dot on the cryptomatte node.

I installed it from Reactor, but haven't tried manually installing yet.
I saw Bryan/French_Fry's posts about path maps but tbh I'm not sure where Cryptomatte has been installed. The Fusion folder in my user/App Data folder is pretty empty. (I'm running Windows 10)

edit: Cryptomatte version 1.21

Thanks

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri May 10, 2019 6:47 am

OK, next step - have you downloaded and tested the demo comp that is shared in the first post of this topic?

nomojosh

Post by nomojosh » Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 am

SecondMan wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:47 am
OK, next step - have you downloaded and tested the demo comp that is shared in the first post of this topic?
Ahh, that seems to work.

I was experimenting with different file formats as I had read someone had trouble with EXR. Perhaps that's the issue?
I'll try a bunch of formats/compressions and let you know how I get on.

(I'm currently using C4D/Octane multilayered EXR passes with zips compression)

Thanks for your help!

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer
Answers: 6

Post by PeterLoveday » Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 am

You must use exr for cryptomatte to work correctly. No other format will work (in fusion, at least), and it is by far the best supported format for things like this.

nomojosh

Post by nomojosh » Mon May 13, 2019 9:37 am

PeterLoveday wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 am
You must use exr for cryptomatte to work correctly. No other format will work (in fusion, at least), and it is by far the best supported format for things like this.
Sure, I'm just struggling with EXRs from Octane/C4D

I read this in another thread:
JCB91 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 am
Problem seems to be exr compression. All frames that have invalid manifest data are ZIPS. The ones working are ZIP.
Beauty is always ZIPS for all frames. For the AOVs including cryptomatte in some shots all frames are ZIPS, in some partially ZIP and ZIPS.
Also it doesn't matter which machine rendered the frames.
We tried different exr compressions with Maya and redshift, nothing changed. This is probably a Maya redshift topic.
And so wondered if it was the compression? I usually use ZIPS

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue May 14, 2019 12:41 am

Don't know if this helps, but apparenty there is a "special" EXR output format in C4D that you need to use for Cryptomatte to work?

According to information on this page it's called EXR(Octane). I don't know any more details, I am simply googling now...

ivanmalek

Post by ivanmalek » Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 am

Hi,
I've already posted on the Fusion forums as well, because I don't know, if this is a Fusion limitation, or cryptomatte plugin limitation, but coming from Redshift, I'm having trouble using cryptomatte passes with default EXR setting. By default, exrs are comressed using ZIPS, these seem to load into Fusion just fine with all other passes, but cryptomatte doesn't work, unless I change the compression method to something else, ZIP, for example.
From what I learned on the redshift forum, this is not a problem for users using other software, typically Nuke, for comp, which they told me deals with ZIPS compression just fine.
Cheers,
Ivan

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by Kristof » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 am

nomojosh wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am
SecondMan wrote:
Sorry to hijack this, but I've installed from Reactor but I'm struggling to get it to work. It doesn't seem to have copied any files (snooping in the Roaming/App Data/.. folder on Windows)

...ion\Reactor\Deploy\Modules\Lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua:335: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...ion\Reactor\Deploy\Modules\Lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua:335: in function 'get_manifest_string'
...ion\Reactor\Deploy\Modules\Lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua:362: in function 'parse_manifest'
...esign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Matte\cryptomatte.fuse:461: in function <...esign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Matte\cryptomatte.fuse:449>

any idea?
You need to check and see if the exr has an actual manifest. I'm pretty sure you don't. Look for a sidecar file or, my preferred option which uses metadata, enable the subview and set it to "metadata' and look for something with crypto and manifest in it.

You also want to use multichannel exrs per layer at least. You can also go with all layers in one big multichannel exr, but I wouldn't do that.

Added in 6 minutes 58 seconds:
Midgardsormr wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:23 pm
What is the per-frame time increase? We are finding that each Crypto node adds 2-3 seconds per frame, in addition to the extra network transfer required to move the large buffer into memory. The comps that we're trying it out on render at about 4 seconds per frame without Cryptomatte, so it is adding a lot of time to the renders. We've started prerendering the mattes instead of leaving it live.
Well, it's a fuse that's going over a lot of pixels--you mentioned UHD. Even if you would generate a precomp just for extracting mattes coming from crypto, it will be faster that setting up renderlayers with all the hold-outs in place in your 3D application, getting them rendered and in your comp. Perhaps the compositing artist needs to ask a 3D artist for such a retake or doesn't know how to do it in 3D...

Make it a plugin and it will be much faster. And keep in mind that Fu doesn't handle huge metadata values well, which can happen when you have a lot elements (grass, leaves) in your scene.

I'm working on another production that uses Maya and V-Ray with a lot of strange output re Crypto. Currently facing a problem where material based cryptos expose weird edges in some cases.

tor3203

Post by tor3203 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:41 am

nomojosh wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am
SecondMan wrote:

stack traceback:

any idea?
I have this similar issue. Maya2018 Redshift 2.6.41
either fusion crash as soon as I toggle view on viewport,
or showing this same/similar error.(after I try to write out(with metadata+different compression method) and read back in)

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:06 pm

You're getting the get_manifest_string related error? Check the subview, metadata and look for an actual manifest. It's probably missing and not a proper cryptomatte exr. Or are you using sidecar files? they need to be next to the actual exrs, I believe.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Adding this link in here for people trying to get Crypto running:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3196