Multiple GPU support in Fusion... a definitive answer?

Moderator: SecondMan

caspardavidfriedrich
Fusioneer

Multiple GPU support in Fusion... a definitive answer?

Post by caspardavidfriedrich » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:49 am

I'm sure this is a subject that makes old-timers groan, but it's a question which haunts me every time I have a monster render. There is zero useful documentation that I can find. The question is simple: Does Fusion support multiple GPU's?
When I look at the Preferences Window there's no way of knowing whether Fusion recognises my three GPU's. Whether it uses them is another question.
Looking at the Resolve and Nuke preference panes, there's way more info about the GPU's that the software is recognising and using.
What is the official Blackmagic Information on the subject? Anybody have any useful info?
Resolve.png
Fusion.png
Nuke.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chad
Fusionator

Re: Multiple GPU support in Fusion... a definitive answer?

Post by Chad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:18 am

The device listed in OpenCL preferences is the only device that gets used.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 am

I'd love very much to see Fusion utilize multiple GPUs as well, but at least it still makes use of them and across a multitude of tools :buttrock:

Kakafroon

Post by Kakafroon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 am

Fsuin PRef.jpg
I just added a second Card - RTX 2080 Ti (mostly for Octane) I have a GTX 1080 as my main display card and the 2080 as a secondary rendering GPU. Not sure how it impacts rendering performance in Fusion yet but I've noticed Fusion UI is a bit laggy now, especially moving around in the Node Graph. Not sure of the best way to configure Fusion Studio 16.1 (Less concerned about Resolve atm). Im also not seeing the openCL options as shown in the preference window above, between "Network" and "Path" ? Currently I have everything Under GPU set to Auto. Any tips?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 pm

caspardavidfriedrich wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:49 am
Looking at the Resolve and Nuke preference panes, there's way more info about the GPU's that the software is recognising and using.
i wouldn't take that nuke preference setting as actually meaning that it uses even a single GPU, mate. it is a well known fact it's GPU capabilities are non existent despite all its 'use GPU' settings.

it certainly sucks that fusion doesn't harness multiple GPU's, but after a chat with Andrew Hazelton it appears there is still a way to make use of them; by using one for rendering and one for workflow.

Kakafroon

Post by Kakafroon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Figured out the laggy display at least - Had the OpenGL Rendering GPU, the NVidia Control Panel set to the RTX (Non Display cad). Switched back to gtx and it seems to have fixed the Laggy Node Graph. Do I need to be using the RTX as my display Card in order for Fusion to take advantage of it for rendering?
Cuda.jpg

Kakafroon

Post by Kakafroon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Chad wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:18 am
The device listed in OpenCL preferences is the only device that gets used.
Hmm, I wonder where that setting is now in Fusion 16.1? I'm not seeing it in the list where you are.

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am

andromeda_girl wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 pm
i wouldn't take that nuke preference setting as actually meaning that it uses even a single GPU, mate. it is a well known fact it's GPU capabilities are non existent despite all its 'use GPU' settings.
Nuke uses GPUs in nodes that have "use gpu" checkbox and in blinkscript node (where it defaults to gpu also, but can also use cpu simd), so it is pretty clear to user where it is used. I'm not sure what other well known facts there are besides this, I'm yet to see hyperbolic stating that everything is gpu accelerated and whatnot :)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 6

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:57 pm

andromeda_girl wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 pm
it certainly sucks that fusion doesn't harness multiple GPU's, but after a chat with Andrew Hazelton it appears there is still a way to make use of them; by using one for rendering and one for workflow.
Using 2 GPUs on a Fusion Studio Compositing Workstation
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 967#p26967