How does Background Render work?

Moderator: SecondMan

bowserlm
Fusioneer

How does Background Render work?

Post by bowserlm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Just saw someone toggle on Background Render in a tutorial. Did a quick search in the Fusion manual for "Background Render" just the way it's spelled in the Program and no results....

I feel like this keeps happening, about 50% of the time I will try and search for something in the Fusion manual and it just won't be there.

intelligent machine
Fusioneer

Re: How does Background Render work?

Post by intelligent machine » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Whatever is currently displayed in the views will be RAM cached in the background (without having to play through the video frame by frame).
I don't thing it works correctly on Savers, however, you can put a pipe router directly before after the saver and drag that to the view. While that router or anything leading to it is selected you should see them progressively turn green in the time range.

Edit:
correction: router (or other node) after, not before a saver. It works based on the saver but will not display the render progress while THE saver is selected.
Last edited by intelligent machine on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Is that what it does? I always thought it had something to do with the network rendering system, so I've been ignoring it!

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:24 pm

In older versions of fusion you could use the background render with the render farm. AFAIK this was removed at some point

intelligent machine
Fusioneer

Post by intelligent machine » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 am

Midgardsormr wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:47 pm
Is that what it does? I always thought it had something to do with the network rendering system, so I've been ignoring it!
I remember reading somewhere about network rendering as well but never got THAT working.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 am

I've had the pleasure of seeing a working clustering setup in Fusion. It was very, very impressive. I would LOVE to have that back.

Imagine what that could mean for crunch time in VFX, where you are typically left with a handful of compositors in the middle of the night, surrounded by empty desks, all equipped with workstations.

theotheo
Fusioneer

Post by theotheo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 am

SecondMan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 am
I've had the pleasure of seeing a working clustering setup in Fusion. It was very, very impressive. I would LOVE to have that back.

Imagine what that could mean for crunch time in VFX, where you are typically left with a handful of compositors in the middle of the night, surrounded by empty desks, all equipped with workstations.
I had a small custer at some point, it was blazingly fast. So cool.

Also, unoccupied workstations should be farm tethered regardless, end of show usually means resources have been shifted to other shows no?

Still, clustering was really really cool.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:25 am

theotheo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 am
unoccupied workstations should be farm tethered regardless, end of show usually means resources have been shifted to other shows no?

Which is why I didn't say "idle workstations" :)

RBemendo
Fusioneer

Post by RBemendo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:07 am

SecondMan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 am

100% agree! This feature was one of the first questions I had on the WSL forums. Really wish we could have that back... for now I end up making a saver and reload it as a loader for "caching" but having that all done automatically would be amazing and a dramatic boost in performance.