Glow Falloff

Moderator: SecondMan

bowserlm
Fusioneer

Glow Falloff

Post by bowserlm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:54 pm

In After Effects I had this really great glow plugin called Real Glow

https://aescripts.com/real-glow/

It has a very nice falloff and is really great for making all kinds of energy looking or firey looking things look very good. No need to stack multiple glows or anything.

I'm curious, is there anything equivalent in Fusion? I'm find that with the Soft Glow effect I'm having to stack multiple glows, sometimes 5 or more to try and get a similar fallout, but even then it doesn't look as good or is as easy to work with as the Real Glow effect.

**And btw I'm working in Linear Color space and all that, so that's not the issue.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Re: Glow Falloff

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Off the top of my head, Reactor has an "ExponentialGlow" atom in you could check out along with Christopher Nodal's "MultistepBlur" atom, too. They are both located in the Reactor "Tools/Blur" category.

bowserlm wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm curious, is there anything equivalent in Fusion? I'm find that with the Soft Glow effect I'm having to stack multiple glows, sometimes 5 or more to try and get a similar fallout...

Off the top of my head, Reactor has an "ExponentialGlow" atom you could check out, along with @ChristopherNodal's "MultistepBlur" atom, too. They are both located in the Reactor "Tools/Blur" category.
Last edited by AndrewHazelden on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bowserlm
Fusioneer

Post by bowserlm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Just found this post--

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1478

Exactly what I was looking for ;)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:08 pm

As a discovery tip on how to find 3rd party assets quickly that can be installed in Fusion 9 and Resolve 15:

The Reactor package manager has a search field at the top of the dialog that will search in all of the atom package descriptions and included filenames for your keywords. :)

Reactor Search Field.png

VFXPedia Resources

If you don't see it there, then checking on the archived VFXPedia website provided by WSL will show you just about everything else that was made between the Eyeon Fusion days and when BMD took over Fusion that is a downloadable Fuse, Macro, or script.

Check out these pages:

When you are viewing the archived HTML format VFXPedia webpages for downloadable fuses and macros, you can quickly check to see if what you are looking for exists by pressing ⌘F in you web browser tab and then typing in "glow" in the find dialog. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bowserlm
Fusioneer

Post by bowserlm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:13 pm

The Exponential Glow is exactly what I'm looking for, but now getting TONS of crashes in this comp...

Any ways to mitigate that?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm

bowserlm wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:13 pm
The Exponential Glow is exactly what I'm looking for, but now getting TONS of crashes in this comp...

Any ways to mitigate that?

Work With Image Sequences

Convert your 4K-8K resolution video clips into EXR based image sequences. Then use EXR format media in both the Loader and Saver nodes. Using image sequences in Fusion means you can resume your renders and not loose any productivity compared to writing out movie files.

Use the Fusion Render Manager even for local renderings

When rendering a comp that is challenging, unload the footage from the two Fusion viewer windows since they use resources to redraw. Then use the Render button in the timeline to send your clip off to be rendered using the Fusion "Render Manager" UI.

Timeline Render Button.png

Batch Convert Your Movies to image sequences if you have a lot of them

If you need to batch convert a whole lot of 8-bit per channel MP4 H.264/H.265 videos, or QuickTime ProRes 422 videos quickly to image sequences that are then automatically named and put into sub-folders you could look at checking out an FFMPEG based script that is in Reactor called "Convert Movies to Image Sequences" that is in the "Scripts/Comp" Reactor category. I love the tool but am obviously biased about its qualities and features. :lol:

Reactor Listing

Convert Movies to Image Sequences.png

Convert Movies to Image Sequences AskUser Dialog

Convert Movies to Image Sequences.png

Use Scripts Created by SirEdric when you get a chance to because they are good

@SirEdric has made a script called "se_SplitComp" that is in the Reactor "Scripts/Comp" category that could also help you with rendering issues. Here is the official description of what the tool does:
se_SplitComp Atom wrote:Split the current comp into segments and send those segments to the default Render Manager.

Especially helpful if you run into memory issues during rendering long comps. By splitting the comp into segments, Fusion is forced by the RenderManager to close and re-load the comp after a segment is finished, thus freeing memory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndrewHazelden on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowserlm
Fusioneer

Post by bowserlm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm actually just getting crashes trying to view nodes, not even to the rendering yet.

It's just a comp from this tutorial

then adding this exponential glow.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Try disabling OpenCL. Exponential Glow is a hugely inefficient macro. If I recall correctly it has 9 Blur tools, some of which have very large radii, and several Scales.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 pm

If I had to guess, OpenCL acceleration being enabled on several of the nodes in the comp is the most likely culprit if you are running Fusion 9.0.2 on macOS. You could look at using the Reactor provided "UI Manager Lua & Python Examples" atom that is in the "Scripts/Comp" category. Then run the "OpenCL Control" script that will be accessible in your Script > UI Manager > OpenCL Control menu item.

OpenCL Control Script.png

Otherwise it might be the displacement resolution or some other sampling setting being cranked up too high for your system to handle. The StatixVFX guys love to do silky smooth DOF, motion blur and other effects with OpenGL rendering settings on high so your system might need you to tune those quality knobs back from extreme high quality down to a more moderate high quality setting on Anti-aliasing samples, quality, etc...

P.S. As a formatting tip, if you are making a WSL post and are going to paste in a YouTube link, add a quote block, add a code or codebox tag, or attach an image, it is helpful to have two newlines placed above and below the item so the paragraph of text immediately before and after that inserted element don't get strange line wrappings in the WSL post and flow around the object.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 pm

AndrewHazelden wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 pm
If I had to guess, OpenCL acceleration being enabled on several of the nodes in the comp is the most likely culprit if you are running Fusion 9.0.2 on macOS.

Is this only an issue on macOs? Does having OpenCL enabled on a node cause issues even when it's disabled in Settings? I have been using the awesome se_ScriptScript to disable OpenCL (when I remember or have crashes) as a precaution but wasn't sure if the additional step was productive.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 am

Andrew wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 pm
Is this only an issue on macOs?
If a person is having rendering issues in Fusion 9 that setting typically the first suspect.