What are the real world advantages of Quadros for pro apps?

Moderator: SecondMan

mgo

What are the real world advantages of Quadros for pro apps?

Post by mgo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:14 am

The web is full claims that Quadros are overpriced and underpowered. But there are hardly people sharing real world experience with Quadros in a professional setting. Now I have a very solid, but slow K4000 and would like to replace it by either a GTX 1060/1070 or a Quadro P2000/4000. Yeah different price ranges but my decision really depends on what I can expect from either card for work. My use case is: ZBrush, Blender, Fusion/DaFusion. I know that ZBrush just cares about CPU and RAM, but having it in the pipeline means that I can end up with dense meshes elsewhere.

My question is: what is a really compelling reason to choose a Quadro over a GTX? Of course I value speed, but I like a stable system even more. And I'd really like it to be a good pick for DaFusion.

LightWolf

Re: What are the real world advantages of Quadros for pro apps?

Post by LightWolf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 am

The main reason as far as Fusion is concerned is the 10-bit frambuffer support - if you have a display that can handle it as well.

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 am

Don't know if it is used anymore but quad buffered openGL for stereo in the view port is/was a quadro only feature

The main reason for pro workstations with quadro cards is: you get certified drivers for specific software and support for the drivers

theotheo
Fusionista

Post by theotheo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:03 am

Quad buffering and G-Sync, thats pretty much it.

I had to get a k6000 because if this :(