How can I re-use keyframed animations?

Moderator: SecondMan

derkork

How can I re-use keyframed animations?

Post by derkork » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi, I'm very new to Fusion, I have only played around with it for a few days, so please forgive me if this question is totally dumb. I'll try to suck less in time.

So I started to do some simple 2D character animations, things like a walk cycle and various expressions like hand waving etc. I have a super-simple character-"rig" with a head, body, arms and legs combined with merge nodes and transforms (it's not really a rig so to speak, at least how I understand Fusion). Now I animate this "rig", by animating the transforms, so i can rotate/translate the body parts.

Each animation is based on keyframes and I have stored them in the timeline - frames 1-32 contain the walk cycle, frames 32-64 some jump, frames 64-96 some hand waving etc. Now I would like to combine these animations (e.g. walk a few steps, then jump, then wave).

Since everything is keyframed, this means I when I have a full walk cycle in frames 1 to 32 I would need to copy over all the keyframes so the character keeps walking while using a transform node to move the character forward. I have found the loop feature, which at least avoids copy and pasting the nodes all over the timeline, however this doesn't play well with the other animations in the timeline as the loop just ends when a new keyframe is set after the loop. I would really like to avoid a copy & paste approach as it makes it super-tedious to fine tune animations.

Is there some way I can use these "animation snippets" and combine them? Is this the totally wrong approach for fusion and I need to do it in a completely different way?

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Re: How can I re-use keyframed animations?

Post by Midgardsormr » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

I think a TimeStretcher would be the way to approach this. You'd put each gesture in a particular frame range, then you could use keyframes on the TimeStretcher to choose which gesture the character is doing at any given time and the speed at which they do it.

Also look into the Time Machine modifier fuse, which will help set up cyclic behaviors.

derkork

Post by derkork » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Thank you very much, the TimeStretcher looks indeed like the tool for the job, I'll give this a spin. I'll also try the Time Machine Fuse.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:33 am

Definitely check out Time Machine.

This topic may be helpful too, as it covers a situation that seems to overlap with yours: viewtopic.php?p=18710#p18710