Release of DaVinci Resolve 15.2

Tory

Re: Release of DaVinci Resolve 15.2

Post by Tory » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Okay I am not commenting at all on the need for fusion stand alone. For my use, as I am likely more the target for Resolves integration (this is the thread for the 15.2 release) For me the major broken element is getting consistent caching playback out of the fusion page. I am sure more is broken and I was curious what others have found. I can only comment on my workflow and how things are working for me.

I am in agreement that this stuff is broken right now too btw so don't jump to thinking somehow I am arguing for the EOL of Standalone :)

Tory

Post by Tory » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:20 am

ChristopherNodal wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:46 am

Your notion of Fusion Standalone being slower is entirely due to your lack of experience with it.
This may be... and I am sure it is not universally true. I am finding it consistently true in my tests of the Delta Keyer. I have run "controlled" tests where I keep the comp and settings consistent and test in Resolve and Standalone. With Delta Keyer it is slower for me in Standalone. But with something like KAK standalone is faster. So, Like I said I am guessing that there might be some GPU optimization for some tools in Resolve. There may be something that I don't know, a setting I am getting wrong or something, but in this case it seems not to be that It is slow because of my lack of knowledge.

Comparing larger comps is of course a different matter... Like I said my catch 22 is that my comps are not that large right now so it does not seem to help my performance issues to bring them over.
ChristopherNodal wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:46 am

So many people have said it before: Fusion inside Resolve is a potentially attractive prospect for Resolve users. That is an entirely different group of people than who Fusion catered to for the three decades prior! For that market it sucks. In fact it sucks so much that entire alien civilizations are right now getting confused about the center of our galaxy.
Haha I love that sentence ;)

I feel like I am going though something of a Dunning-Kruger Effect in Fusion. Like I have said in other posts, my hope is that BMD will bring the needed updates and listen to the long time users of Fusion. If we can get to a point where Fusion users don't look at Fusion inside Resolve as a threat but as an opportunity to expand their value, that would be great.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Tory wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:20 am
If we can get to a point where Fusion users don't look at Fusion inside Resolve as a threat but as an opportunity to expand their value, that would be great.

We have. BMD doesn't care.

Miltos
Fusionista

Post by Miltos » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Fusion inside Resolve was a blessing for me. Not for all types of VFX work but for a big chunk of it.

I am mostly pissed that i can't use it as it was promised rather than because i see it as a threat. I fucking want it to work!

hartworx

Post by hartworx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm

So it is not only me that has big performance problems with Fusion inside Resolve. I was hoping to get in touch with a lifesaver - Spend less time because I can quickly comp something together while editing and have all my small Project in place. But as soon as it get a tiny bit more complex it is dropping in performance - unusable to work with.
The Videos that were shown on BMD Youtube Channel for Resolve were pretty Basic.
Just for a quick comparison: My Late 2011 MacBook pro Renders a Project: 7 seconds per frame - My i9 128GB Ram 1080ti renders: 4-5 Seconds a frame. WTF?
Are they generally more focues on Apple Systems right now?

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:22 am

hartworx wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm
I was hoping to get in touch with a lifesaver - Spend less time because I can quickly comp something together while editing and have all my small Project in place.

Sounds like what Connection was built to do (I've never used it myself, I admit) but with the added benefit of very little overhead.

I see the appeal in a one-stop-shop solution, but frankly once you end up doing something even moderately complex you're going to want to split up tasks.

Whatever scale a project is, there comes a time where your edit is locked. Typically (hopefully!) long before your VFX comps are due. As of that moment forward, your perceived lifesaver is a lifewaster.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 am

SecondMan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:22 am
ypically (hopefully!) long before your VFX comps are due. As of that moment forward, your perceived lifesaver is a lifewaster.
Can't remember it I saw the original post in this forum, but when it comes to pipeline I always enjoy this little masterpiece...:-)