Rolling out Fusion to multiple users

Moderator: SecondMan

nufu

Rolling out Fusion to multiple users

Post by nufu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 am

Hi,

Looks like we are switching over to Fusion from AE in our pipeline - what would be the best way to let multiple users have the same version/plugins/reactor etc (rather than installing everything manually)?

I'm guessing it won't just be an install of Fusion, then copying over the ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion & Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9 folders to each user?

Cheers.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Re: Rolling out Fusion to multiple users

Post by SirEdric » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:14 am

nufu wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 am
I'm guessing it won't just be an install of Fusion, then copying over the ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion & Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9 folders to each user?
Well...it basically is like that...:-)
But if you can also PathMap Scripts, Settings, etc. to a server.
I would keep Profiles locally, so users can adjust their Fusion to their liking.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 am

nufu wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 am
Looks like we are switching over to Fusion from AE in our pipeline - what would be the best way to let multiple users have the same version/plugins/reactor etc (rather than installing everything manually)?

For Reactor based installs you can use an environment variable like REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP=E:\Pipeline\Reactor to move the Reactor installation folder to a different mounted filesystem/path. This means you can have all your artist systems using a shared folder location to store your Reactor installed scripts/macros/fuses/plugins.

windows-adding-an-environment-variable.png

Reactor Help Docs

GitLab Reactor Docs | Creating Environment Variables | Reactor Install PathMap
https://gitlab.com/WeSuckLess/Reactor/b ... ll-pathmap

GitLab Reactor Docs | Installing Reactor | Using Reactor Content on a Fusion Render Node
https://gitlab.com/WeSuckLess/Reactor/b ... rendernode
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

You could also have something outside of Fusion copy data from a repository to user defined local storage to reduce network traffic and prevent file locks. Also helps if your network or server isn't available.

Instead of running Fusion.exe, you could run a batch file. Just change the icon and most users won't care. If you want to get really fancy, make a fake Fusion.exe that calls the batch and then runs FusionReal.exe which is just the real Fusion.exe renamed. That way any 3rd party applications that want to launch Fusion.exe (like Deadline or whatever) won't be affected.

Or if you don't update that often, just push changes out with group policy when people log in.

nufu

Post by nufu » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:53 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll give it a whirl and see what works best.

Cheers.

Nebukadhezer

Post by Nebukadhezer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 am

We start fusion free from a network share, seems to go fine. As I learned the other day, FUSION9_MasterPrefs is the envvar for fusion 9. From there you can bootstrap a central repository for scripts plugins etc. The envvar points to a preference file that has the same syntax as the local prefs in your user account. In there you can make global overrides. Typically scripts is sth that then becomes a path to a folder on a network share so everyone can access them...

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am

Nebukadhezer wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 am
Typically scripts is sth that then becomes a path to a folder on a network share so everyone can access them...
Could be done like that.
However, I prefer setting up PathMaps in the GlobalPrefs, so that I can have my own, local scripts *plus* those on the server.
This means, I can hack and test locally and if I find it worth deploying, I copy the Script to the Network location, which makes it available for everyone.
In the meantime I can keep hacking locally without disturbing everybody else's workflow.
(Just in case something goes occasionally wrong...:-))

Same counts for settings, macros, etc.
You can also set up a BinServer to host images, settings, macros, whatever, which then shows up on everybody's bin.

nufu

Post by nufu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:55 am

Hi all,

Stupid question, but do you still need to install Reactor per user if it Fusion is running off a shared location? I can't get it to show up otherwise.

I've set all the pathmaps and user environment variables to the shared computer that has fusion and reactor installed.

pathmaps.jpg
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Those paths maps are incorrect. Put Reactor:Deploy into UserPaths and remove references to Reactor in Scripts and Settings. Everything should resolve correctly that way.