Anyone successfully using Blender-generated Cryptomattes in Fusion?

Moderator: SecondMan

jxxjxx

Re: Anyone successfully using Blender-generated Cryptomattes in Fusion?

Post by jxxjxx » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:08 am

exr from larrise MAYA 3D MAX Blender C4D and so on, include cryptomatte ID.

https://youtu.be/xu7_YG9H__s

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 13

Post by SecondMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:36 am

@jxxjxx and @Jack John - if you're going to use We Suck Less as your online advertising platform for your commercial tools and using double accounts, at least have the decency to consider being a Patron ;)

https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

You could also just have asked.

Movalex
Sir Requestalot
Answers: 2

Post by Movalex » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 am

The tools are good and nicely written, but yes, those posts look more like advertising and false review rather than proper community-friendly posts.

Jack John

Post by Jack John » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 pm

SecondMan wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:36 am
@jxxjxx and @Jack John - if you're going to use We Suck Less as your online advertising platform for your commercial tools and using double accounts, at least have the decency to consider being a Patron ;)

https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

You could also just have asked.
sorry,sorry,administrator
I delete link soon.
I didn't mean to do commercial advertising. I just solved the problem for people who were troubled by netizens including my own problems.
I will do my best

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:17 pm

No need to remove anything. Just get in touch with me and be upfront about it if you want to do something special :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:31 am

So just looking at that Pick_Cryptomatte tool. It turns out to be using standard Fusion Loaders, which means it will have the same limitations as the first version of Cryptomatte in Fusion (see posts from @Lester and @Kristof above).

Also:

"4. Please switch off multi-threading calculation in preference, otherwise the flicker will appear."

What is this? I really don't want to have to turn off simultaneous branching (which is not the same as multithreading) for any of my Fusion work.

So how is this faster and more steady?

Wizor

Post by Wizor » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:27 pm

Hello, so where it ended? Is there is an option to use cryptomate from Blender in Fusion? Does Pick_cryptomatte work? I tried playing with Cryptomatte from Reactor but I can't make it work.

Wizor

Post by Wizor » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Hello again,
With the help of WSL and Pirates I came to the conclusion why Cryptomattes didn't work for me, most of my renders i am rendering using node outputs in compositor. Rendering separate passes and scenes in Blender is quite a deep topic, so I will not describe it here, but I am using it e.g. - to not render all objects on the same number of samples (utility passes can render even on 1 sample), rendering all scenes at once, creating a wpp pass in a blender requires a separate scene , making reflection masks, wireframes, etc. And when i wanted export Cryptomattes from Blender compositor output node it outputs only RGBA not metadata, which is needed for Cryptomatte node in Fusion to work(at least the one from the Reactor). To Blender Cryptomattes work in Fusion they cannot be saved from compositor node, only from the right menu "Propeties" in the "Output Propeties" tab set to 32float EXR-Multilayer, then our metadata will be saved. The only problem here is that Cryptomates must have 32 bits and we don't really need our beauty pass to have so much(due to optimization and sufficient quality 16 bits is usually ok). Workaround for this is simultaneous rendering of scenes/layers from compositor and right menu "Output Propeties"("Output Properties" allways saves files - default to tmp, even if in compositor we set separate outputs,which is strange but in this case we can use it as an advantage). We just need to set 2 linked scenes, where on one we have Beauty where output is set in compositor(its confusing but it must be set in compositor on the scene with Cryptomattes- in Blender all scenes have thier own compositor setting) with the number of samples we need and on the other where we are rendering Cryptmattes on only 1 sample using right menu.

I do not know if for someone it will be useful because what I wrote is a mess, but workflow with scenes/layers in Blender is a bit confusing ^^

By right menu "Output Propeties" i mean this:
Right_Menu_Output_Propeties.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wizor on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Wizor wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:03 pm
metadata, which is needed for Cryptomatte node in Fusion to work(at least the one from the Reactor).
The metadata is essentially what CryptoMatte is, so every implementation of it in a compositor will require it...
Wizor wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:03 pm
what I wrote is a mess
Practice makes perfect, thank you for sharing! ;)

bowserlm
Fusionista

Post by bowserlm » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:22 pm

I'm also having issues getting Cryptomatte out of Blender 2.8.

@Wizor I'm trying to understand the workflow you're mentioning. I'm using a File Output node to pack all of my denoised layers into an EXR. It makes sense that going through the Compositor isn't going to carry forward the Cryptomatte metadata. But, when I render via the File Output node I'm not getting an image from the "Output Properties" File Output path.

https://share.getcloudapp.com/YEudnYXY

Wizor

Post by Wizor » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am

@bowserlm do you have same output paths for file output in compositor and in "Output Properties" tab? These exrs must be separate files(you need to have 2 exrs, one will carry compositor output and one from propeties)
As i mentioned earlier if you dont render beauty and cryptomatte as seperate scenes you will have 32 bits beauty but due to performance/quality it is a overkill. And you will have no-needed "double data" because "Output Properties" will have all "checked" passes in it(skipping compositing) and you already have this data in your compositor output.

To avoid this problem you need setup "new" scene via linked copy(that will link all you objects, animation, materials but you can have seperate scene setting like a samples,enviroment,passes etc.)
After that you need setup scenes:
On the scene with beauty setup you samples as you like and checkbox all passes that you need.
On the scene with cryptomatte uncheck all passes and set samples for 1. Treats this scene as "render manager" and open your compositor on this scene(all scene carry own compositor setting). Set your passes in compositor as before but using scene with beauty and output this same as on your screenshot. Now when you click render(being on the scene with crypto) this will render both outputs at the same time.
Remember to dont set same path for both outputs.

mspink

Post by mspink » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:21 pm

Hello - I'm having similar issues with Blender generated files: what I'm finding is that if you set Blender to use only 'Object' in the Cryptomatte settings, View Layers tab, everything works OK in Fusion. As soon as you try to use 'Material' or 'Object' and 'Material' it all falls apart...

I did manage to get Fusion to load an EXR once, with all 3 Crypto layers enabled in Blender, but it errored as soon as you tried to move from the 'object' layer in the Cryptomatte node.

I'm using Fusion 9.02 Studio & free (same results in both), and Blender 2.81a or 2.82. I'm exporting 32bit float multi-layer EXRs (I tried uncompressed as opposed to 'ZIP lossless', didn't change the results).

Anyone managed to get it working properly yet?

Cedric
Fusioneer
Answers: 1

Post by Cedric » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:35 am

Hi all

If anyone could provide me multiple problematic Blender Cryptomatte EXR images, I would be glad to have a look.

Cheers
Cedric