Couple fusion/vfx questions

Moderator: SecondMan

Ambustion

Couple fusion/vfx questions

Post by Ambustion » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:26 am

Hey guys,

I got into fusion through color and had a bit of a revelation after finally getting the studio version(right before it was free with a resolve dongle haha). I finally find vfx fun and not a clunky horrible experience VS the real time artist feeling I get coloring(not that it's real time but it's sure better than constant crashing, corruption and console messages in the resolve version) . Lurking on here got me through a lot of wrapping my head around it so thank you guys.

I had a couple questions I wasn't finding watching tutorials so thought I would ask here.

I have a great project with lots of time on the back end to futz and learn. I'm doing a bunch of green screen shot with 8k monstro Vista vision and comping in two styles of winter scenes. I got a really cool looking wide by creating a depth map from a 2d mountain range scene, and I was all excited and sent my first test to my dp and he mentioned the optics were all wrong(in a helping way). I realize now what I'm having a tough time managing is the size of the camera VS the scene and how I can try and approximate the real world distances and the depth of field that goes with it. My issue was having the 3d scene too small and so the depth of field would not go to infinity focus at a realistic distance. I basically made a really cool looking tilt shift by accident.

Are you guys just eyeballing this kind of thing or is there a way to tell or create these distances from a more realistic starting point. I don't mind taking creative liberties, but do want to help myself out understanding where to start so the nuances are there.

Question 2: is there a good way to go from resolve and use the native frame size? I noticed halfway through my first comp that I'd done vfx connect and it bakes it into the project size in resolve. Even if it's just framing, I'd rather not switch my project to 8k every time I want to do a vfx connect. Not a bad way to do it if I just do it all at once but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks guys. This forum has been my jam for the last while and it seems like such a good mix of incredible knowledge and helpful comraderie.

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Re: Couple fusion/vfx questions

Post by Kristof » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 am

Hi @Ambustion, welcome to the forum.

Re DoF, I always start with "realistic" values (although often there is a scene scale that's part of the calculation) and will always assist a DoF node so that the final output is a plausible result. I noticed a dramatic decrease in retakes since incorporating such a workflow in production. A lot of people tend to overdo it, are too moderate or end up with something that should be in focus (hyperfocal distance).

Sometimes you want to deviate from what is physically correct, but at least all involved will know you're now going for something creative instead. Kinda like knowing the rules and then breaking them on purpose (and making it a conscious decision), instead of going by gut feeling all the time.

Ambustion

Post by Ambustion » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:28 am

Totally what I'm going for. I guess my next question is, I've setup my scene(2d photo extracted to 3d for a small push, with a person walking away small in the image). How do I set my scale of that scene to values that make sense from a camera perspective. I was careful to record lens height and focal length but now I am just missing creating that realistic distance. How would I set this mountain range to be 1000 ft away for example?

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by Kristof » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am

By adding a scene scale and making your models / setup to that scale. You can then incorporate this constant value in your DoF calculations to get a proper blurring radius.

Ambustion

Post by Ambustion » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:42 am

Ahh I see, I didn't realize when you said scene scale it was a function within fusion. That makes things much easier to conceptualize. Thank you so much for your help.