Fuse setup for Vs Code?

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Fuse setup for Vs Code?

Post by bryanfordney » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:33 am

I use VS Code for all my coding projects.

I have gotten pretty addicted to Intellisense (code completion). Especially for languages without static typing, it makes learning the API and catching bugs much easier.

Does anyone have any experience using VS Code for Lua, specifically adding Fusions API to VS Code's Intellisense?

So far I have at least found this VSCode extension (seems more fleshed out than others):

https://github.com/sumneko/lua-language-server

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Fuse setup for Vs Code?

Post by SecondMan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Honestly I have only ever used a combination of Scite and Notepad++ (ever since @AndrewHazelden did an excellent Reactor Atom for it) for Macro, Fuse and Script editing. Tried Sublime and a couple of others but they never really stuck.

That said, my interest is piqued. Would you care to do a bit of a write-up on how you prefer to work and the advantage of Intellisense?

Have you tested that particular extension?

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Post by bryanfordney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks, I will check out that atom. I haven't used Notepad++, I'm more of a macOS person myself.

I am going to attempt to get VS Code and that extension to recognize the Fuse API as I learn the API myself.

There is an annotation system called "Emmy" it seems, documented here: https://emmylua.github.io/annotation.html

The VS Code extension recognizes this syntax, which allows you to add "type hinting" to Lua, which is something I love to use when working in Python or Javascript (using Typescript). It means that it, for example, will put a red squiggly line under mistakes where you're trying to pass a string into a function that only accepts a number, etc.

When using a new API I find it infinitely useful to have instant access to the members and methods of a class. For example as I type "Image", I am immediately presented with a list of "Merge", "MergeOf", etc. Maybe NotePad++ with that atom does that! So I'll check that out.

digitalvideo

Post by digitalvideo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 am

Hi,

if you find the solution for vscode i'm also insterrested in.

regards,