How to apply Multiple textures to FBX or OBJ Mesh ?

Moderator: SecondMan

asifbhushan

How to apply Multiple textures to FBX or OBJ Mesh ?

Post by asifbhushan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Hello All,

May be this sounds like a newbie question but I really have no idea how to apply multiple textures to a single mesh in Fusion 9.

Like I have downloaded a building asset in FBX and OBJ format. I get a mesh with multiple shapes and all merged together form that building.

Now practically its very time taking to assign material to each object and adjust them using UV.

I dont know if we a simple and easy method to assign materials, I see a ".mtl" file too in that folder.

The simplest way I use to follow is, request the 3D Department guys to convert this into a UV texture and combine the whole mesh into a single Alembic mesh and then I would use that in Fusion.

But curious if we can do the same with multiple objects in FBX and Multiple materials/textures.

Can anyone help me out in this.

Thank You

ISOTRON
Fusioneer

Re: How to apply Multiple textures to FBX or OBJ Mesh ?

Post by ISOTRON » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:55 am

case 1 : as u say:
The simplest way I use to follow is, request the 3D Department guys to convert this into a UV texture and combine the whole mesh into a single Alembic mesh and then I would use that in Fusion.
case 2: u have all single shapes(Objects), u can connect each with a Shader. Or give them different MaterialIds and the u can use "replaceMaterial" after the merge, und "limit by MaterialID"

asifbhushan

Re: How to apply Multiple textures to FBX or OBJ Mesh ?

Post by asifbhushan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 am

Thank you for the reply @ISOTRON. Will try that... But what is this .mtl? Is it of any use for us?