3D location from Houdini to Fusion

Moderator: SecondMan

stwert

3D location from Houdini to Fusion

Post by stwert » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:51 am

I'm trying to transfer 3D location data from Houdini to Fusion, so that I can attach labels, markers etc. on it.

I managed to get an object and camera settings across using Alembic on 1 frame, but I don't know how to get an alembic sequence with an animated camera, for example. Gather sequences doesn't recognize the alembic sequence exported from Houdini.

Also, I'm not sure how to get point data across. For example, I have a point in Houdini with position @P, but Fusion crashes immediately if I try to use that, presumably it's not something that the 3D renderer can render.

So:
1) How to transfer animated camera data?
2) How transfer 3D position (like a NULL locator in Maya)?

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

stwert

Re: 3D location from Houdini to Fusion

Post by stwert » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:25 pm

So I think I've got a workable solution for the second part. Since Fusion seems to like geometry instead of point data, I'm creating a small box and using a Rivet in Houdini to snap it to the world position of a point. Then in Fusion, I can use a Locator3D to convert the 3D position of the cube to 2D coordinates.

I still am stuck on the alembic sequence though. I can't see anything about a sequence or animation data in the manual, but the import settings do have fps settings, so it should be able to get animation data. Maybe I'm missing something.

Added in 3 minutes 36 seconds:
Aggh... From the Houdini docs:

(Do not add $F to the file name. The Alembic render node knows to render multiple frames of animation into the single Alembic file instead of overwriting the file as would happen if you didn’t use $F when rendering images.)

Working now!

jedmitchell

Re: 3D location from Houdini to Fusion

Post by jedmitchell » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:20 am

Oh that's cool about $F, I've wondered about this in the past. My workaround has been to just use FBX from Houdini for nulls & cameras, which has worked fine for everything (though generally I prefer Alembics).

Good to know!