cannot install templates

Moderator: SecondMan

JPDoc
Fusioneer

cannot install templates

Post by JPDoc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 am

I'm sure I'm doing something very silly here but for the life of me I can't track it down. I've just installed June's lens flare package and I downloaded the template file posted along with the fuse. I just can't get the templates to turn up. I don't often use templates and the number of variations on where they go and what takes priority has always left me somewhat confused, but in this case I'm completely perplexed.

Attached a screen grab that show my path map, which by my reading says that templates should should come from the UserPaths:Templates directory, which should be C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Templates. I've put June's template.zip file in C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion and removed the normal Templates dir, which was empty anyway. I've checked that June's zip file contains the "Optical Flares" template directory and it does, but it just doesn't show up in Fusion.

I've tried putting it in C:\Program Data\Blackmagic Design\Fusion (the AllData path variable) and again no good. And various other combinations. I tried C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion, nada. I even tried removing the templates from all these locations to see if they would disappear from Fusion and I could track it down that way, but the normal templates still turned up. I'm now baffled as to why the Optical Flares templates don't show up and even as to where the rest of them are really being stored.

I'm sure I'm doing something embarrassingly obvious but frustration has got the better of me. Can anyone see anything wrong with these paths or give me a clue as to why I can't get the new templates to turn up, or even as to where the templates that are appearing are actually being stored?

As an aside, I installed June's fuse in C:\Users\Paul\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Fuses and it came up fine. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 4

Re: cannot install templates

Post by SirEdric » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:30 am

AFAICT the templates folders are not scanned for new content automatically.
So your best bet is to manually create a new folder in Bins and drag&drop the .comp files from explorer into there.

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:47 am

Many thanks Eric but I don't even know where the "bins" folder might be. The only one I can find is in the UserData dir (in this case C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Bins) and it seems to be full of a load of indexed "FuBin" files with names like "f4c93210-db9f-4c36-8306-59e1ff7e0046.bin". Are you saying I should create a normal dir in there called "Templates" and put the new June templates in there?

As I said I don't do much with Templates but it does seem a pretty bizarre and convoluted system . . . and what exactly does the "EditTemplates: Templates:Edit" Pathmap variable do? :(

Added in 4 minutes 55 seconds:
And looking at June's templates they seem to be "setting" files with "bmp" presumably thumbnail files, as opposed to .comp files. I considered putting these into the normal "Settings" dir in the Fusion binary dir but I don't want to randomly mess things up and I assumed that there was a "normal" way of dealing with templates and I was just missing it . . .

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 am

Nonono...not the Bins *folder* on your harddrive. Don't mess with that one!
Open Bins in Fusion (ctrl-b)
In there, pick a folder of your choice (or create a new one with RMB).
Drag any .setting or .comp or .[image] from explorer into that Bin-folder in *Fusion*.
Sorted...:-)

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 3

Post by Midgardsormr » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 pm

I don't think putting the Optical Flares templates in the Bins will do any good. They're intended to be read by the Fuse itself, so they need to be in the path June designated. I recall having to actually open up the Fuse and look at the code to figure out what to do with the Templates.zip file. And it took a bit of experimentation before I got it sorted out. I don't have Optical Flares at home, so I can't say much more than that without actually going into the office to see what I did with it.

Suffice to say, though, that you're not the first to run into a problem getting it to work as intended.

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:13 am

Thanks Bryan, I don't feel so dumb now. I'll have a look at the code when I get time. Or maybe June can give us a clue? I'm assuming the template file that comes with the flares package includes all the current Blackmagic templates, which I guess would mean that if Blackmagic change any of theirs June would have to reissue the flares version, not ideal anyway . . .

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:16 pm

JPDoc wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:13 am
Thanks Bryan, I don't feel so dumb now. I'll have a look at the code when I get time. Or maybe June can give us a clue? I'm assuming the template file that comes with the flares package includes all the current Blackmagic templates, which I guess would mean that if Blackmagic change any of theirs June would have to reissue the flares version, not ideal anyway . . .

The Templates PathMap folders in Fusion just holds .setting files and a matching icon of the same base filename.

Each of the Template:/ items are typically stored inside of sub-folders which are used for classifying content. This helps you find things more easily. Each folder that is created inside the Templates PathMap location becomes the collapsible sections you see in the Fusion UI.

Adding your own files to the Templates folder is near identical to dropping macros into the Macros:/ folder. They are found the next time you re-start Fusion.

You should have a Templates:/ location inside both the AllData:/Templates/ and UserData:/Templates/ PathMap locations.

If you unzip the file and take a screenshot of the contents I might be able to better suggest where it should be installed. :)

My guess is the rough statement "release the templates" that was described on Junes' thread merely was his way of saying "expand the zip file "tar-bomb" style so the items are merged into the Templates subfolders automatically."

FWIW, Fusion 9 added a concept of "ZipIO" which allows some assets to be placed as zipped packages for things like .fu files, .lua scripts, image icon resources for UI Manager GUIs, and other assets can be scanned in and read as is without expanding the zip file contents. I haven't seen full documentation that explains all the details since we only have a Fusion 8 scripting manual.

You can also put a reference to an image inside a zipped file with the .zip extension into a Loader node and Fusion v9+ can read that on the fly.

If you have Reactor installed, try pasting this zip file based image path into a Loader node:
Reactor:/System/UI/Emoticons/emoticons.zip/whistle.png

And then view the output in the Fusion viewer window.
Last edited by AndrewHazelden on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 3

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Here's a screenshot of where I have the templates stored:

I apparently couldn't get them to work in the zip file, so I extracted them, and it seems to work fine. Of course, we run Fusion from an application server and have customized paths. I honestly am not sure how Fusion is finding that Templates folder because there are no entries in our path maps that point there. Maybe it's backtracking from Profiles: or something?

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 am

Thanks for the info Bryan and Andrew.

I also extracted them and put them in the C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Templates and it worked. Only after a reboot, though - which was a surprise. I'm wondering if the zipped file would have worked if I'd rebooted, just didn't occur to me that this would make a difference (if it did). Haven't got time to test that right now but it's on the list to go back to.

Now I'm getting confused with June's "load preset" button on the GUI for the the flares node. It brings up the templates dir but if you select one it doesn't seem to do anything.

To elaborate - I've found a couple of June's templates that work reasonably well on my shots but need tweaking. If you drag and drop one of those templates to the flow you get a flare node that works but has very limited controls, none of which do what I need - I assume the template is some sort of macro, but with the dizzying array of macros, fuses, scripts (python and lua) etc etc currently in fusion I have no idea what type.

I had assumed that "loading preset" into the main flare node would load the settings that made this preset into the various panels if you selected the desired template, and you could then fiddle with them. But it doesn't seem to do anything, the settings in the flare node panes remain at defaults.

I suppose I could open up the text file for the template, try and figure out which variable is which in terms of the main flare node and then copy the values into said node - but that seems very tedious. Has anyone figured out how to load a preset into the main node so you can modify it? Ta in advance.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:12 am

JPDoc wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 am
Only after a reboot, though - which was a surprise. I'm wondering if the zipped file would have worked if I'd rebooted, just didn't occur to me that this would make a difference (if it did). Haven't got time to test that right now but it's on the list to go back to.
I'm fairly sure you only needed to restart the Fusion program once. Not the whole system for the changes to take effect since the templates folder contents is likely scanned once during Fusion's startup phase, just like Fuses are. :)

JPDoc
Fusioneer

Post by JPDoc » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:27 am

That's what I thought, but they didn't turn up and when I restarted the next morning there they were. I did do a fair bit of mucking around prior to that (including unzipping the template archive as per Bryan) so it's not definite that the reboot had any effect but it certainly felt that way. I'll try and test it when I get a spare nanosecond.

Added in 1 minute 42 seconds:
Now that I've finally got the templates working I'm going to start a new thread regarding the load preset question I raised earlier as it only relates to the Optical Flares node, perhaps June might be able to clarify . . .