End user reorganization of Reactor assets

Moderator: SecondMan

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 6

End user reorganization of Reactor assets

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 pm

@FredP wants to tidy up our Script menu, dropping things like the UI Manager examples into a Third Party submenu. While it's technically possible to rearrange the thing with .fu files, as best I can tell it would involve writing an entry for each and every script in the folder. And while I could probably automate that, it would become invalid the next time we update the atom.

An ideal circumstance would be if we could somehow apply a redirect such that the scripts land in a designated sub-folder but can still be managed by Reactor. I'm not sure what that would look like.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Re: End user reorganization of Reactor assets

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Midgardsormr wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 pm
@FredP wants to tidy up our Script menu, dropping things like the UI Manager examples into a Third Party submenu. While it's technically possible to rearrange the thing with .fu files, as best I can tell it would involve writing an entry for each and every script in the folder. And while I could probably automate that, it would become invalid the next time we update the atom.

An ideal circumstance would be if we could somehow apply a redirect such that the scripts land in a designated sub-folder but can still be managed by Reactor. I'm not sure what that would look like.
Hi @Midgardsormr.

There are several options. It depends on which side of the equation you want to manage things on. :)

For a Git power user type of TD, one could simply use your favorite version control app with Git syncing to manage your own GitLab Reactor repository fork. Then update the "Reactor:/System/Reactor.cfg" file on your workstations/render nodes/etc.. to point at your forked copy of the Reactor public repo for your Reactor content downloads.

You could also have a private MuseVFX customized repo fork of the GitLab Reactor repository if you're cool with playing around with Gitlab Token ID values again like in the olden days of Reactor pre v1.0 development.

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer

Post by PeterLoveday » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Are you wanting to move *all* reactor scripts into a subfolder, or selectively (and potentially then multiple folders...) ?

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Ideally we'd do it selectively, but I think Fred would be happy with being able to simply divert the entirety of the Deploy/Scripts/Comp into his Third Party subfolder.

Personally, I'd prefer to sort by function rather than origin, but I don't call the shots. :)