rejoice

Moderator: SecondMan

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

rejoice

Post by andromeda_girl » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 am

after nearly a year without fusion running on my desktop, just tried my dongle and it functions like nothing was ever wrong with it.

I don't know if something magical happened with a recent windows update, but it works fine now.
that means I can at least resume where I left off [sort of] last December.

just felt like sharing that since this is where my life is now.
Au

PS: unfortunately, when I first installed the beta for v16 ages ago, it killed off my v9 install as many others discovered.
so if anybody has any advice on how I can get my v9 in place and still have the v16 in place;
since v9 has a fabulous and logical and usable GUI - [plus all my plugins work with it] that would be appreciated.
by AndrewHazelden » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:08 am
Hi @andromeda_girl.
andromeda_girl wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 am
PS: unfortunately, when I first installed the beta for v16 ages ago, it killed off my v9 install as many others discovered.

1. I'd suggest you first start by backing up the contents of your existing Fusion user preferences folders to a few zipped archives. Then save them to an external USB memory stick for backup, or to dropbox, etc... :)

AllData: PathMap
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\

UserData: PathMap
%appdata%\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\

aka:

C:\Users\<Your User Account>\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\

2. Then re-run the "Fusion Studio 9.0.2 for Windows" installer from this WSL page and you should be back in business:

WSL - Fusion official download links
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... hp?p=26629

andromeda_girl wrote:
so if anybody has any advice on how I can get my v9 in place and still have the v16 in place;

since v9 has a fabulous and logical and usable GUI - [plus all my plugins work with it] that would be appreciated.

Fusion Install Filepaths on Windows

The final shipping version of Fusion v16.1.1 for Windows is installed to:
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 16\Fusion.exe

And the 2017 era version of Fusion v9.0.2 for Windows is installed to:
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\Fusion.exe

This means the two installers for Fusion v9 and v16.1.1 no longer trash each others files on disks (like the first Fu 16 beta you tried ages ago did).

Fusion's Shared Preferences

It's handy to know that the settings used for the AllData:, AllDocs:, and UserData: PathMaps are common across both Fusion v9 and v16. This means the same Reactor package manager downloaded macros, fuses, and scripts will show up inside of both Fusion v9 and v16 seamlessly.

As a side effect it also means that compiled Fusion SDK based plugins that are made for Fusion v9 should likely be placed into the Fusion 9 specific "Program Files" based plugins folder. This helps to avoid overlap that happens if Fusion v16 noticed any Fusion v9 compiled plugins in your Fusion UserPaths:Plugin PathMap folder location.

Basically, what I am trying to say is install your Fusion v9 3rd party .plugin files (from developers like Chad Capeland and RE Vision Effects) into this location and you should be set:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\Plugins\

Fusion Environment Variables

If you have Reactor installed on your system you might want to add an extra atom package to help with your troubleshooting needs. Specifically look at adding a copy of the "UI Manager Lua & Python Examples" atom package.

This atom is found inside the Reactor "Scripts/Comp" category section. You can click on that category heading on the left side of the Reactor window to quickly filter the atom package listing view shorter.

If you have the "UI Manager Lua & Python Examples" atom package installed in Fusion, you could run the "Script > UI Manager > Fusion Diagnostics Tool" which is the all-around best way to spot issues with Fusion settings and custom environment variables on a workstation (yeah I know I'm biased since it's a Lua script and the developer is a friend).

That script allows you to check the state of the Fusion environment variables for settings like:

Code: Select all

FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER
FUSION_PLUGIN_PATH
FUSION_OFX_PLUGIN_PATH

And the Fusion v16 environment variables:

FUSION16_PROFILE
FUSION16_PROFILE_DIR
FUSION16_MasterPrefs

And the Fusion 9 environment variables:

FUSION9_PROFILE
FUSION9_PROFILE_DIR
FUSION9_MasterPrefs

And the Fusion 8 environment variables:

FUSION_PROFILE_DIR8:
FUSION_PLUGINS8
FUSION_MasterPrefs8

Good luck with this andromeda_girl! You can do this. :cheer:
Go to full post

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 6

Re: rejoice

Post by AndrewHazelden » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:08 am

Hi @andromeda_girl.
andromeda_girl wrote:

1. I'd suggest you first start by backing up the contents of your existing Fusion user preferences folders to a few zipped archives. Then save them to an external USB memory stick for backup, or to dropbox, etc... :)

AllData: PathMap
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\

UserData: PathMap
%appdata%\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\

aka:

C:\Users\<Your User Account>\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\

2. Then re-run the "Fusion Studio 9.0.2 for Windows" installer from this WSL page and you should be back in business:

WSL - Fusion official download links
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... hp?p=26629

andromeda_girl wrote:

Fusion Install Filepaths on Windows

The final shipping version of Fusion v16.1.1 for Windows is installed to:
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 16\Fusion.exe

And the 2017 era version of Fusion v9.0.2 for Windows is installed to:
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\Fusion.exe

This means the two installers for Fusion v9 and v16.1.1 no longer trash each others files on disks (like the first Fu 16 beta you tried ages ago did).

Fusion's Shared Preferences

It's handy to know that the settings used for the AllData:, AllDocs:, and UserData: PathMaps are common across both Fusion v9 and v16. This means the same Reactor package manager downloaded macros, fuses, and scripts will show up inside of both Fusion v9 and v16 seamlessly.

As a side effect it also means that compiled Fusion SDK based plugins that are made for Fusion v9 should likely be placed into the Fusion 9 specific "Program Files" based plugins folder. This helps to avoid overlap that happens if Fusion v16 noticed any Fusion v9 compiled plugins in your Fusion UserPaths:Plugin PathMap folder location.

Basically, what I am trying to say is install your Fusion v9 3rd party .plugin files (from developers like Chad Capeland and RE Vision Effects) into this location and you should be set:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\Plugins\

Fusion Environment Variables

If you have Reactor installed on your system you might want to add an extra atom package to help with your troubleshooting needs. Specifically look at adding a copy of the "UI Manager Lua & Python Examples" atom package.

This atom is found inside the Reactor "Scripts/Comp" category section. You can click on that category heading on the left side of the Reactor window to quickly filter the atom package listing view shorter.

If you have the "UI Manager Lua & Python Examples" atom package installed in Fusion, you could run the "Script > UI Manager > Fusion Diagnostics Tool" which is the all-around best way to spot issues with Fusion settings and custom environment variables on a workstation (yeah I know I'm biased since it's a Lua script and the developer is a friend).

That script allows you to check the state of the Fusion environment variables for settings like:

FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER
FUSION_PLUGIN_PATH
FUSION_OFX_PLUGIN_PATH

And the Fusion v16 environment variables:

FUSION16_PROFILE
FUSION16_PROFILE_DIR
FUSION16_MasterPrefs

And the Fusion 9 environment variables:

FUSION9_PROFILE