Thank you everyone and Happy New Year!

The Thanks scores for 2019 are in, make sure to read all about last year's highlights -> here <- !

AI for UV Unwrapping

Moderator: Chad

Shem Namo
Fusioneer

AI for UV Unwrapping

Post by Shem Namo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:09 am

Happy Holidays everyone.
Imagine in BMD would implement AI for UV unwrapping,
How many hours of work saved, That would put Fusion back on the map.
I got the idea when I saw this on YouTube.

Thoughts?
https://youtu.be/XGHw3wNOAXI

Chad
Fusionator

Re: AI for UV Unwrapping

Post by Chad » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:05 am

Where are you getting these arbitrary meshes from?

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 7

Post by SirEdric » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:32 am

Maybe I'm shortsighted (depending on age might be true...:-)) but the unwrap of the gun and the car doesn't look that much different from what Blender would do with Smart UVUnwrap......?
(Nevertheless, even having Blender's smartness in Fusion would be a huuuuuuuuge plus!...:-))

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 8

Post by AndrewHazelden » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:54 pm

The other option would be to add support for the open-source PTEX texture format created by Walt Disney Animation Studios to Fusion's 3D workspace. Then you don't need to use a UV layout at all on a polygon model and you would have no texture distortions or seams, or cracks in your displacements.

http://ptex.us/

https://github.com/wdas/ptex

Mudbox - PTEX painting overview

As always, there are lots of ways to solve a problem. As a small footnote, the PIXAR USD technology supports PTEX as an option at compile-time, which means if Fusion adopted that standard it would have a lot of other improvements that would come along at the same time.

Shem Namo
Fusioneer

Post by Shem Namo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:48 am

The other option would be to add support for the open-source PTEX texture format created by Walt Disney Animation Studios to Fusion's 3D workspace. Then you don't need to use a UV layout at all on a polygon model and you would have no texture distortions or seams, or cracks in your displacements.
This would be incredible!!
Both Disney and Pixar are truly masters of this kind of technology! PTEX, USD, Renderman, Hyperion the list is endless,
and the whole USD Implementation keeps sounding better and better every time I hear about it.

@AndrewHazelden Did you try pitching this idea to BMD? Maybe they'll hire you as a developer, You sure know what do are doing!

Thank You,
David Kohen.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 8

Post by AndrewHazelden » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:19 am

Did you try pitching this idea to BMD?
BMD has its own private roadmap for development. I don't try to guess what is on that roadmap anymore. I just do my own little R&D things as a hobby project for fun and post the results on WSL from time to time. :)

Shem Namo
Fusioneer

Post by Shem Namo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:33 am

Well @AndrewHazelden You are certainly doing a great job ;)

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:45 am

I wouldn't hold my breath for BMD to implement that kind of feature.
Fusion would benefit from much more compositing-specific features and updates that are more critical to day-to-day work.
UV unwrapping is also something that an asset dept. handles in any studio environment so it would only be helpful for the home user who doesn't really do a lot of their own 3D work (I include myself in that category)
Regardless, it's a redundant feature for Fusion to have.
BMD needs to prioritize compositing-rich features that have been held back for the past decade first.

Even Substance's own users were very skeptical of the benefits of having an automatic UV unwrap feature and Substance added it anyway...

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am

Indeed. BMD doesn't need UV editing, it needs UV management. Give the users the ability to swizzle and copy UV channels and then pass off the UV editing to some other application.